British Birds

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Wren, Feb 26, 2019.

?

Are house sparrows on a decline in numbers, because gardens are lacking food supply's ?

1. Yes, there should be more garden feeders.

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. No, its because of other reasons.

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. Someone

Someone UKChat Newbie

Ah, you laughed XD

Poignant..? I’m not sure about that, I was sad because it was the second little bird that died near me. So I thought I should do something.. Maybe it is like wether or not one believe in Santa, most people don’t tell little children that Santa does not exist. I guess just because they were so young, live was taken away before they even know what it ought to be like, and who knows, maybe they really went to a nice place the moment we both believe in it.
    Well, I just feel I should do something :)

Wren likes this.
  2. Someone

Someone UKChat Newbie

:D
    Please do share later what you see with the walk :)

Wren likes this.
  3. Wren

Wren UKChat Familiar

So I found this wood by recommendation its called Watchwood, it was pretty cool, a brisk walk around and a trail of tree swoops from what must have been some kind of buzzard, didn't get a clear look at its face for long enough tho.
    Plan to go back when its a tiny bit warmer, it was so cold here that morning.
    I've been told there's a wood close to me that has waxwings maybe going to try my luck at spotting them :) I'll let u know if I'm lucky enough :)

PS Santa scares me , :p

Someone likes this.
  4. franden

franden UKChat Initiate

5. franden

franden UKChat Initiate

I live on the edge of the New Forest. Although it is well known for being the home of the very rare Dartford Warbler in the ten or so years I have taken walks across the heath and moorland I have only ever seen one once. On one walk known as Tall Trees Walk we have several Goldcrests nesting in the soft bark of the Redwoods. You mention Buzzards. There are plenty of them in the forest. The strange thing I find is that for such a large bird it,s call is very quiet, more like a mouse squeaking. We have a large rookery just across the road from here and I find it so fascinating to watch the antics of these rooks, more so when it is very windy as they love high winds.

Wren and Someone like this.
  6. Someone

Someone UKChat Newbie

It sounds very interesting! :D
    We do not have such places in Taiwan, or at least not really.. oh I envy you :p
    And yes, would really be nice to know what you find :D

Wren likes this.
  7. megs233

megs233 UKChat Familiar

mmm Taiwan and has many of our birds or am i missing point? do our birds go there not big on birds just feed a few .

Wren likes this.
  8. Wren

Wren UKChat Familiar

Well I wanted share a post of what a great day it is , I know its not a bird and , excuse the odd house socks :eek:
    Especially as ppl don't need be seeing feet, lol
    Have been working nights , not seeing the bird times as I could before ,
    However just before going off to bed and drinking a glass of water, a butterfly landed on my foot!
    How lucky! Idk,
    So its not a bird , but as its wings and special .. :)

o_Onot sure if I'm just tired and can't figure it out , but can't seem to post my image,
    I'll get back to the picture later, maybe I used the laptop , um , might be,
    Ah need some sleeps now,
    But what ever u do today look out for birds and butterfly's
    :)
    Best wishes :cool:

9. Altair

Altair UKChat Familiar

Fcuk you...;)

Wren likes this.
  10. supercookie123

supercookie123 UKChat Familiar

I have written a few posts before about birds around here - in our gardens, we've been lucky enough to spot a woodpecker (man filmed it!), all manner of finches (including bull [not A bull; just a bullfinch]), Bertram, for a while ('our' pheasant who came to eat at ours as he was a bit crippled but it didn't end well), a few owls over the years and a kingfisher in the river, which really is AMAZING to see, as they actually flash blue! Last week, we saw a bird we didn't recognise so man went on the hunt on the webulator for: white head, small, medium sized body, orange beak, etc... IT WAS AN ALBINO blackbird! Very rare. Cool as tits.

We also had a mouse who used to come and feed with Bertram, called Magnus Powermouse, who also stopped coming suddenly, but we used to watch him / her peeping out from under the fence, grabbing a few seeds we left for Bertram and buggering off again.

However, a mad thing yesterday... man shot a couple of crows which had been stealing our small birds' eggs then S*H*A*T himself as about FORTY other ones suddenly arrived and started circling overhead. It was like the Apocalypse, he said. I reckon they'd have had him.

Wren likes this.
  11. BlackMagicBabeXx

BlackMagicBabeXx UKChat Familiar

yes very wrong

Wren likes this.
  12. Wren

Wren UKChat Familiar

What a wonderful onsite to us life with special encounters of pure bliss , and scare! What a fab' post thanks so much for the share, :D I haven't seen a kingfisher a so long time , must have been 8 or 9. I've read about the rare blackbird in one of my books and its also mentioned on a DVD had bought for me, so I've only seen this on screen and image
    They say cats get them quick,
    Lucky you! :D

You must live in a lovely area, I kinda have nice woodlands around, and I've a spot where often the pheasant will make an appearance, quite funny to see it run off at the bump of a car door, I figure it knows its likes near a farm that offers shoot, lol Saturday morning early , their last food, or the lucky escaped not sure

Well enjoyed reading your post, even the heck scary bit at the end
    Thank you

supercookie123 likes this.
  13. supercookie123

supercookie123 UKChat Familiar

Awww, thanks, Wren. You type well for a tiny bird!

Yes - those albino blackbirds don't fare well in nature because they are so noticeable and get hammered by things which think they look tasty.
    I live in the sticks on an island called Anglesey. Lots of nice, wooded bits and farms! x

Wren likes this.