British Birds

Are house sparrows on a decline in numbers, because gardens are lacking food supply's ?

• Yes, there should be more garden feeders.

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • No, its because of other reasons.

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters

Someone

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
" My mother prayed for it and we buried it under a pink rose tree. " Very poignant.!

I'm sorry, i'm so so so sorry. But that made me laugh out loud. The very moment i read that sentence, i pictured the scene in my minds eye.!

I'm sorry for laughing, i really am. (Being an Athiest and in the possession of an extreme sense of humour, i couldn't help myself.!)

I don't have a fear of birds Per-se...but as well as drive car's.. i ride motorcycles too, and have had quite a few scares from wayward birds. Mostly Chickens on winding country roads.!

Easily dealt with, they just go around your front wheel, squeal a bit, then proceed to blind you with their feathers.!

But a dizzy duck in your face at 70MPH..? makes for brown stains in yer underpants.

My Mother had a fear of Black Crows...No idea why... other than supposition.!

Ah, you laughed XD

Poignant..? I’m not sure about that, I was sad because it was the second little bird that died near me. So I thought I should do something.. Maybe it is like wether or not one believe in Santa, most people don’t tell little children that Santa does not exist. I guess just because they were so young, live was taken away before they even know what it ought to be like, and who knows, maybe they really went to a nice place the moment we both believe in it.
Well, I just feel I should do something :)

Someone

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Haven't known anyone with bird fear, or phobia

Would be sad to suffer the condition I'm sure, birds are everywhere, even if not seen , heard,

I think Altair, glad u were ok , but maybe, slowdown give urself a better chance of stopping or at least slowing down so ur not covered in feather
Can't think of anything worse, :( squished bird, .... : /

And Someone, its lovely u did find a nice resting spot for the none flapping to be flapped again, a rose bush sounds beautiful,

Didn't bird watch much lately did drink my coffee tho and play some tunes while looking at a kestrel
Maybe soon I'll get a day for walking in the woods, I'm sure by now the woods will look misty with bluebells
:)

:D
Please do share later what you see with the walk :)

W

Wren

:D
Please do share later what you see with the walk :)
So I found this wood by recommendation its called Watchwood, it was pretty cool, a brisk walk around and a trail of tree swoops from what must have been some kind of buzzard, didn't get a clear look at its face for long enough tho.
Plan to go back when its a tiny bit warmer, it was so cold here that morning.
I've been told there's a wood close to me that has waxwings maybe going to try my luck at spotting them :) I'll let u know if I'm lucky enough :)

PS Santa scares me , :p

franden

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
So I found this wood by recommendation its called Watchwood, it was pretty cool, a brisk walk around and a trail of tree swoops from what must have been some kind of buzzard, didn't get a clear look at its face for long enough tho.
I've been told there's a wood close to me that has waxwings maybe going to try my luck at spotting them :) I'll let u know if I'm lucky enough :)

franden

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I live on the edge of the New Forest. Although it is well known for being the home of the very rare Dartford Warbler in the ten or so years I have taken walks across the heath and moorland I have only ever seen one once. On one walk known as Tall Trees Walk we have several Goldcrests nesting in the soft bark of the Redwoods. You mention Buzzards. There are plenty of them in the forest. The strange thing I find is that for such a large bird it,s call is very quiet, more like a mouse squeaking. We have a large rookery just across the road from here and I find it so fascinating to watch the antics of these rooks, more so when it is very windy as they love high winds.

Someone

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score

It sounds very interesting! :D
We do not have such places in Taiwan, or at least not really.. oh I envy you :p
And yes, would really be nice to know what you find :D

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
It sounds very interesting! :D
We do not have such places in Taiwan, or at least not really.. oh I envy you :p
And yes, would really be nice to know what you find :D
mmm Taiwan and has many of our birds or am i missing point? do our birds go there not big on birds just feed a few .

W

Wren

Well I wanted share a post of what a great day it is , I know its not a bird and , excuse the odd house socks :eek:
Especially as ppl don't need be seeing feet, lol
Have been working nights , not seeing the bird times as I could before ,
However just before going off to bed and drinking a glass of water, a butterfly landed on my foot!
How lucky! Idk,
So its not a bird , but as its wings and special .. :)

o_Onot sure if I'm just tired and can't figure it out , but can't seem to post my image,
I'll get back to the picture later, maybe I used the laptop , um , might be,
Ah need some sleeps now,
But what ever u do today look out for birds and butterfly's
Best wishes :cool:

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Well I wanted share a post of what a great day it is , I know its not a bird and , excuse the odd house socks :eek:
Especially as ppl don't need be seeing feet, lol
Have been working nights , not seeing the bird times as I could before ,
However just before going off to bed and drinking a glass of water, a butterfly landed on my foot!
How lucky! Idk,
So its not a bird , but as its wings and special .. :)

o_Onot sure if I'm just tired and can't figure it out , but can't seem to post my image,
I'll get back to the picture later, maybe I used the laptop , um , might be,
Ah need some sleeps now,
But what ever u do today look out for birds and butterfly's
Best wishes :cool:

Fcuk you...;)

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I have written a few posts before about birds around here - in our gardens, we've been lucky enough to spot a woodpecker (man filmed it!), all manner of finches (including bull [not A bull; just a bullfinch]), Bertram, for a while ('our' pheasant who came to eat at ours as he was a bit crippled but it didn't end well), a few owls over the years and a kingfisher in the river, which really is AMAZING to see, as they actually flash blue! Last week, we saw a bird we didn't recognise so man went on the hunt on the webulator for: white head, small, medium sized body, orange beak, etc... IT WAS AN ALBINO blackbird! Very rare. Cool as tits.

We also had a mouse who used to come and feed with Bertram, called Magnus Powermouse, who also stopped coming suddenly, but we used to watch him / her peeping out from under the fence, grabbing a few seeds we left for Bertram and buggering off again.

However, a mad thing yesterday... man shot a couple of crows which had been stealing our small birds' eggs then S*H*A*T himself as about FORTY other ones suddenly arrived and started circling overhead. It was like the Apocalypse, he said. I reckon they'd have had him.

BlackMagicBabeXx

“Shut your mouth when you’re talking to me.”
Reaction score
A pair of wood pigeons appear to be making a nest in the big old tree at the bottom of my garden. is it wrong of me to hope that next doors cat gets one of them?
yes very wrong

W

Wren

I have written a few posts before about birds around here - in our gardens, we've been lucky enough to spot a woodpecker (man filmed it!), all manner of finches (including bull [not A bull; just a bullfinch]), Bertram, for a while ('our' pheasant who came to eat at ours as he was a bit crippled but it didn't end well), a few owls over the years and a kingfisher in the river, which really is AMAZING to see, as they actually flash blue! Last week, we saw a bird we didn't recognise so man went on the hunt on the webulator for: white head, small, medium sized body, orange beak, etc... IT WAS AN ALBINO blackbird! Very rare. Cool as tits.

We also had a mouse who used to come and feed with Bertram, called Magnus Powermouse, who also stopped coming suddenly, but we used to watch him / her peeping out from under the fence, grabbing a few seeds we left for Bertram and buggering off again.

However, a mad thing yesterday... man shot a couple of crows which had been stealing our small birds' eggs then S*H*A*T himself as about FORTY other ones suddenly arrived and started circling overhead. It was like the Apocalypse, he said. I reckon they'd have had him.
What a wonderful onsite to us life with special encounters of pure bliss , and scare! What a fab' post thanks so much for the share, :D I haven't seen a kingfisher a so long time , must have been 8 or 9. I've read about the rare blackbird in one of my books and its also mentioned on a DVD had bought for me, so I've only seen this on screen and image
They say cats get them quick,
Lucky you! :D

You must live in a lovely area, I kinda have nice woodlands around, and I've a spot where often the pheasant will make an appearance, quite funny to see it run off at the bump of a car door, I figure it knows its likes near a farm that offers shoot, lol Saturday morning early , their last food, or the lucky escaped not sure

Well enjoyed reading your post, even the heck scary bit at the end
Thank you

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Awww, thanks, Wren. You type well for a tiny bird!

Yes - those albino blackbirds don't fare well in nature because they are so noticeable and get hammered by things which think they look tasty.
I live in the sticks on an island called Anglesey. Lots of nice, wooded bits and farms! x

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I was in my garden the other day catching the last rays of summer and admiring my roses, now I knew they were covered in greenfly what
with me being too lazy to spray them, not with pesticide which I know you're not supposed to use but with soapy water instead and the strangest thing happened, a bird came and landed on a rose and started eating the greenfly!
I was amazed at the sight having never seeing it before. This bird was smaller than a sparrow, a lot slimmer, a bluey black colour. I wish I'd had my phone handy so I could have recorded it for posterity.

W

Wren

I was in my garden the other day catching the last rays of summer and admiring my roses, now I knew they were covered in greenfly what
with me being too lazy to spray them, not with pesticide which I know you're not supposed to use but with soapy water instead and the strangest thing happened, a bird came and landed on a rose and started eating the greenfly!
I was amazed at the sight having never seeing it before. This bird was smaller than a sparrow, a lot slimmer, a bluey black colour. I wish I'd had my phone handy so I could have recorded it for posterity.
How very exciting thank you for sharing
:D it might have been a young starling :cool:brave bird, they have a blue/black look.

Sad thing this week; my usual place for spotting the longtailed tit (Shelly birds) were missing it's longtails and even tho I sat a while, there was no yellowhammers
Not sure what's going on with that, but hope they return soon:cool:

W

Wren

A whole year has past and I've not said a flap-of-a-tweet on here for ages ..
A tiny beat of an update (doing time on the wings)

I've been busy bird hunting all year and I've seen some bird I have before I thought it be nice to share a listed few favourites with you :)
I visited Canada in October, met a British lady tweeter, with her binoculars, who shared her bird knowledge with me, most helpful because at that point I had still not bought a native birdbook.
I learn the loud looking sparrow type bird was a chickadee. He demonstrated its call and I was like any!yeah!correct it sounds like that chickadee chickadee. Was a enjoyable experience chatting with that lady tweet. She had been in Canada for over fifty years! Was wow u still sound a bit London ish! :)
Anyways I learn bird names that day. And saw some amazing tiny birds around the rose gardens.

I had hired a house with garden and one morning while sitting out, just before the light of day,
Hear this sound, I sit so quite thinking, land , land.. lol and I see this flash of blue it lands and fly's away pretty quick. Thinking I've just seen a parrot or ? Something of larger size.
Soon after this day I did buy a few books, identified it as the mountain bluebird, and it came a few times after that.. Also seen most mornings was the blue jay.
So continued my birdhunt daily.
Day two, hire car... Collects , brings t back to accomodations, parks up. ( Drama with the car moment, while I make the coffee, thinking ?? Where is my partner?? Go to look for him and he's taken my here car, LoL can't explain this part cause it's just one of them things!) So i am waiting for him to return thinking oh!god and in the sun a mini shine over a bush with flowers at bloom
....looking again I realized I'm..what.tha...what!!! It was a Anna's humming-bird. Never did I think that was going to happen a complete awesome supprize that made a bad situation feel , it's gonna be ok! Lol (15mins,later...car crawls down street...I've crash! Ah my days lol yes I can see was my response! Lucky u just seen a hummingbird or I would be very, very annoyed! What we're u thinking!!)
That day ... Day two , was good for me. One he crashed the car not I so any other after that couldn't be any worse. I didn't have any car issues, I loved driving around and soon got use to its reverse ways to what I knew.
Ah so many places I drove to, just to glimps the new tweets...a few....

Spotted towhee
Bushtit... :O
long tailed ducks
Coots
Bald Eagles
Winter Wren
Blue Jay
Kingfisher Belted
Junco dark eyes
Robin (huge)

Running out of time this morning , but could tweet all day about the birds I've seen this year.
Will pop back later and share the
Awesome sights of new tweets I've seen in the UK this year.. ah some many newbies I've ticked off my tweet-delight of a sight.

Have a lovely day all ...
Tweet to u soon

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
A Lovely post Wren, thanks for sharing.

W

Wren

A Lovely post Wren, thanks for sharing.

Aww,thanks :)
And thanks for reading it..:)
So driving back toward Nottingham today , bit of a flap.. and straight into work so
Feeling a bit like a bird who just found her nest. Glad to be home.

Will enjoy the last of the sky light, sip my coffee, ........and.........
Relax on the tweets

Tomorrow, comes sooner than a blink.
:) Thanks again lady. Xx

W

Wren

A whole year has past and I've not said a flap-of-a-tweet on here for ages ..
A tiny beat of an update (doing time on the wings)

I've been busy bird hunting all year and I've seen some birds that I haven't before. I thought it be nice to share a listed few favourites with you :)
I visited Canada in October, met a British lady tweeter, with her binoculars, who shared her bird knowledge with me, most helpful because at that point I had still not bought a native birdbook.
I learn the loud looking sparrow type bird was a chickadee. He demonstrated its call and I was like ah!yeah!correct it sounds like that chickadee chickadee. Was a enjoyable experience chatting with that lady tweet. She had been in Canada for over fifty years! Was wow u still sound a bit London ish! :)
Anyways I learn bird names that day. And saw some amazing tiny birds around the rose gardens.

I had hired a house with garden and one morning while sitting out, just before the light of day,
Hear this sound, I sit so quite thinking, land , land.. lol and I see this flash of blue it lands and fly's away pretty quick. Thinking I've just seen a parrot or ? Something of larger size.
Soon after this day I did buy a few books, identified it as the mountain bluebird, and it came a few times after that.. Also seen most mornings was the blue jay.
So continued my birdhunt daily.
Day two, hire car... Collects , brings it back to accomodations, parks up. ( Drama with the car moment, while I make the coffee, thinking ?? Where is my partner?? Go to look for him and he's taken my hire car, LoL can't explain this part cause it's just one of them things!) So i am waiting for him to return thinking oh!god and in the Sun a mini shine over a bush with flowers at bloom.
....looking again I realized I'm..what.tha...what!!! It was a Anna's humming-bird. Never did I think that was going to happen a complete awesome supprize that made a bad situation feel , it's gonna be ok! Lol (15mins,later...car crawls down street...I've crash! Ah my days lol yes I can see was my response! Lucky I seen a hummingbird or I would be very, very annoyed! What we're u thinking!!)
That day ... Day two , was good for me. One he crashed the car not I so any other after that couldn't be any worse. I didn't have any car issues, I loved driving around and soon got use to its reverse ways to what I knew.
Ah so many places I drove to, just to glimps the new tweets...a few....

Spotted towhee
Bushtit... :O
long tailed ducks
Coots
Bald Eagles
Winter Wren
Blue Jay
Kingfisher Belted
Junco dark eyes
Robin (huge)

Running out of time this morning , but could tweet all day about the birds I've seen this year.
Will pop back later and share the
Awesome sights of new tweets I've seen in the UK this year.. so many newbies I've ticked off my tweet-delight of a sight.

Have a lovely day all ...
Tweet to u soon

W

Wren

Back to British Birds. . :)

So I've been making lists of birds I spotted this year and the places I've been to.
Hope to add a few in later this week.

The back garden has been thriving with birds this year, there have been plenty of honey buzzards in the area: Fly over daily is always a binoculars moment.
I've been winter visited often by the wren too, that was very exciting. (Cheese) couldn't resist the feed.

Back