British Birds

Are house sparrows on a decline in numbers, because gardens are lacking food supply's ?

• Yes, there should be more garden feeders.

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • No, its because of other reasons.

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters
W

Wren

What's the best bird you have seen so far this year?
I've looked everywhere for a bird forum and didn't find much,

Have you seen any rare birds?

What birds visit your garden/home?

Yeah I am hoping to spark some conversation about our beautiful birds and what you have seen.

Thanks, in advance for you view.

Wren.

E

Evonne

A pair of wood pigeons appear to be making a nest in the big old tree at the bottom of my garden. is it wrong of me to hope that next doors cat gets one of them?

W

Wren

A pair of wood pigeons appear to be making a nest in the big old tree at the bottom of my garden. is it wrong of me to hope that next doors cat gets one of them?
Pigeons are cheeky , are u sure they are not doves? See , all birds need food and care.
Birds do not want catching by cats,
Have u felt a cat scratch? Would u want this ripping u to bits on ur final flap of the wing?

Hope for a full nest instead , take care ,

E

Evonne

No these are exactly like pigeons but twice the size and forgive my stupid cat comment the reason i dont like them is because they gobble up all the food that is left out for the smaller birds

B

Bad_Influence

The only British bird I want in my garden is Perdita Weeks :rolleyes::confused:

W

Wren

No these are exactly like pigeons but twice the size and forgive my stupid cat comment the reason i dont like them is because they gobble up all the food that is left out for the smaller birds
:) big , double sized , unsure with out looking but the white collar are pretty fast eaters but, they also share.
If you are really lucky ur chunky looking birds could be stoke doves, they have a shiny blueish neck, and the feathers look shiny clean. Feed um up fake the nest full, especially if its these type.
I've been battling (feeding) the white collar wood pigeons in my own garden for some time now, not a single little bird has landed on my feeders. Still feeding them up tho :)
Today I watched a family of stoke dove eating alongside , blue tits , dunnocks, yellow hammers, Robbins, great tits, long tailed tits, and the odd tree sparrow. Was only sat for 20 mins, they all seem to share. Super lovely things and all pretty unique in flight and landing.

Thank you for taking interest in our British birds and again, thanks for garden feeding.
Keep up the food supply and Good Luck for a full nest near you.

Have a Happy and Healthy Spring.
Take care
:)

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
But seriously - I took part in the Big Garden Bird Watch for the RSPB, despite being terrified of large birds, like swans, guinea fowl, turkeys and geese! Cool, yes? Lots of ace birds come to nibble on our feeders, including finches, tits (behave!), a fat robin and even a woodpecker!

B

Beemovie

But seriously - I took part in the Big Garden Bird Watch for the RSPB, despite being terrified of large birds, like swans, guinea fowl, turkeys and geese! Cool, yes? Lots of ace birds come to nibble on our feeders, including finches, tits (behave!), a fat robin and even a woodpecker!
I have two wrens living in my one hedge. They are a delight to see of a spring or summers day and so tiny too

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
They are minute! Lovely things. We have some x

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Likewise. Numbers are down here for sure. They used to live in the wooden fascias on houses... most people have plastic now so they can't. I wonder where they go now...

W

Wren

They die I think, because houses and gardens don't supply the needs to support their healthy living. ppl forget to encourage their children to feed tables and old ways are forgotten
And walls everywhere nowhere to nest and nowhere to eat.

I do see tree sparrows. but only in one area that I drive to.

Really sad to see the decline in house sparrows.
Your more likely to catch a blimps of the dunnock on the garden, or like me today a black bird.

:)

W

Wren

And the best bird I saw this year has been the gold cress
Smallest European bird I think it is,
As fast, so tiny, so shiny , was really a heart stop moment while on my solo walk. Seen in open edge of a woodland

And I saw a second gold cress near a stream of water a few days later, haven't seen another since

They are super cute to watch in binoculars

I really would like to see a fire cress or a bearded tit :)

Back