British Birds

Are house sparrows on a decline in numbers, because gardens are lacking food supply's ?

• Yes, there should be more garden feeders.

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • No, its because of other reasons.

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters

antonyfromyorks

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing :)
A mash harrier, very good you could identify this, did you use binoculars to see this bird of prey? I've looked into these birds and depending on where you the chances of seeing one is pretty rare.
Red kite, have seen these in Wales at a feeding point, there were loads, so many all together, was pretty amazing to see such huge birds all feeding in one zone.
:) the little bitten birds are like super odd looking with long beaks, very cool tho in flight, I've read they are making a comeback so we have a higher chance if seeing these now, I'll keep a look out for these bittern's next time I'm water side walking.

Thanks again for sharing your encounters of greatness, good luck on seeing more rare birds, .........or even the same again :)
the marsh harrier is unmistakeable when a flies low over some reed beds a great site ..I didn't the bins to identify this bird .be careful when identifying bitterns ..the little bittern and American bittern are quiet rare birds ..the Bittern makes a booming noise when it is the reeds try to listen out for it next time you are in a reserve.
we have red kites up here in yorks a releasing and breeding programme was introduced and it has has been a great success with observations being made in most parts now..Harewood Estate is the place to be too see red kites ..enjoy the rest of the week

barry47

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
are there any kind of birds that bully there potential mates before attacking them for no apparent reason and then harrass them mercilessly?

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
are there any kind of birds that bully there potential mates before attacking them for no apparent reason and then harrass them mercilessly?
not heard any but no doubt there is. the magpies bit of bullies i think

W

Wren

Polite Reminder ;
This post is about birds that hatch from a egg and nest while fed and, Fly or not Fly , but most of all , they have wings and are not human ,
If u have thoughts of another please take it away from here as I can not delete what you or any post,
Kind regards,
Keep it Flight :)

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I have few of these darling hanging a round my feeders. will try get a photo.

Attachments

• Blue_tit_1220-min.jpg
    Blue_tit_1220-min.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1

Hollie

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Keeping things on track here....... I only have a small garden but its got hedges and loads of different hidey holes and nesting places. I have a few boxes up too. Last year I had blackbirds and wrens nesting. We have a lot of owls around (hear them more so than see them) woodpeckers (same) and mostly small birds of prey kestrels. hawks etc. Crows are a pain sometimes though... and the local family of magpies... Normally over the summer I will come across maybe 3 or 4 bigger birds of prey that have been hit by a vehicle, often they are still alive just completely stunned. Thankfully in the village there is a woman who runs a rescue and rehab place for wild birds that have been injured. I take them there. She is very successful in her release rate. It's great encouraging birds into the garden but one problem they are having is by the time they have arrived, the main crop of insects have already gone (varied reasons but a lot of it is the use of pesticides :( )so they not enough food to feed their young.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
When you see a Lone Magpie....What do you do?...Count to ten? :D

When I see a lone Magpie i go on the Hunt to find another one of the feckers..:D

Magpies make the most horrible noise. Especially early in a morning...5AM..!!

franden

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
You should be so lucky.
I have a collard dove that perches on top of a pole outside my bedroom window and serenades me at about four every morning.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
You should be so lucky.
I have a collard dove that perches on top of a pole outside my bedroom window and serenades me at about four every morning.

The solution to that is easy...Cut the pole down..! Unless you like being serenaded by a Collard @ 4AM..

franden

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
The solution to that is easy...Cut the pole down..! Unless you like being serenaded by a Collard @ 4AM..
I don,t think the electricity company would approve. I don,t mind really, it proves I have not gone deaf when I wake

Someone

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Another question. Have you ever found the body of a bird that has died of natural causes like old age? The only bodies I have come across have been killed by either cats or motor vehicles.

Oh!
It’s been quite a while!
Well I have not yet seen a bird that is died of old age, but this can be tricky though. Birds I usually see are small-mostly about 8-15cm or maybe 20cm, including the beak and tail, measured by eye :)
Hence they can be all young or really were aged, oh I mean the live ones.
Actually, just about two weeks ago, one newborn baby bird fell from the nest, I found it just in time-before ants come around. It is the second small birds around my area, the size of grown ones might be about 10cm. You can imagine their babies are really very small. So it was already gone when I found it. My mother prayed for it and we buried it under a pink rose tree.

One special experience I have is a bird die on top of a balcony shed(canopy?), so that was a transparency cover, and there was no way to get to the bird. So we just left it there and until everything was vanished... life was very busy and we simply didn’t notice it very much, so it was alright. I can’t imagine what I could do if that happened again now...

Birds are very beautiful, cute creatures. Yet someone I know has fear of birds. I remember her face the day we show her this bird on that transparency cover. She couldn’t bear one look to that bird. Anyone known anyone like that?

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
" My mother prayed for it and we buried it under a pink rose tree. " Very poignant.!

I'm sorry, i'm so so so sorry. But that made me laugh out loud. The very moment i read that sentence, i pictured the scene in my minds eye.!

I'm sorry for laughing, i really am. (Being an Athiest and in the possession of an extreme sense of humour, i couldn't help myself.!)

I don't have a fear of birds Per-se...but as well as drive car's.. i ride motorcycles too, and have had quite a few scares from wayward birds. Mostly Chickens on winding country roads.!

Easily dealt with, they just go around your front wheel, squeal a bit, then proceed to blind you with their feathers.!

But a dizzy duck in your face at 70MPH..? makes for brown stains in yer underpants.

My Mother had a fear of Black Crows...No idea why... other than supposition.!

W

Wren

Haven't known anyone with bird fear, or phobia

Would be sad to suffer the condition I'm sure, birds are everywhere, even if not seen , heard,

I think Altair, glad u were ok , but maybe, slowdown give urself a better chance of stopping or at least slowing down so ur not covered in feather
Can't think of anything worse, :( squished bird, .... : /

And Someone, its lovely u did find a nice resting spot for the none flapping to be flapped again, a rose bush sounds beautiful,

Didn't bird watch much lately did drink my coffee tho and play some tunes while looking at a kestrel
Maybe soon I'll get a day for walking in the woods, I'm sure by now the woods will look misty with bluebells
:)

Back