The truth will do!

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
Try debating something fun that is actually opinion based.".

Just one small point: I am firmly of the opinion that all debates are formulated by opinion.
If we didn't give an opinion there would be very little point in debating, surely!?

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I dont battle Altair, I like to play with words.
We were given the gift of language, we should at least respect it lol

That comment would have been 1000 times better if you hadn't added LOL at the end.

What a pity.

ChloePsych

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Don't be ridiculous!
I have already stated what the basis of this action was.
If you did not understand that, then you are sadly lacking in intelligence.
'Reactionary and irrational snowflake' comes to mind.

:rolleyes:
Frankly the moment the word snowflake appears you reveal your true colours. You're a pseudo-intellectual and not a very bright one.

B

Bad_Influence

Frankly the moment the word snowflake appears you reveal your true colours. You're a pseudo-intellectual and not a very bright one.

You are right about WP, but if you truly believe that tearing down the statue was the 'will of the people' then his description of you as a snowflake was spot on.

The will of which people? The people who want to eradicate British history? The people who think rioting and looting in the name of a drug-abusing career criminal is just fine? If you mean those people then yes it was the will of the people, but it certainly wasn't the will of the vast majority of people in the country.

I get it that you believe whatever the teachers tell you but you'll understand when you grow up. (Yes, I'm well aware that sounds patronising, it was certainly intended to).

ChloePsych

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
You are right about WP, but if you truly believe that tearing down the statue was the 'will of the people' then his description of you as a snowflake was spot on.

The will of which people? The people who want to eradicate British history? The people who think rioting and looting in the name of a drug-abusing career criminal is just fine? If you mean those people then yes it was the will of the people, but it certainly wasn't the will of the vast majority of people in the country.

I get it that you believe whatever the teachers tell you but you'll understand when you grow up. (Yes, I'm well aware that sounds patronising, it was certainly intended to).
I don't think you're capable of patronising me.

That statue was of a slave trader. it was erected 200 years after his death. Local people had campaigned for it to be removed. The mayor wanted it removed. It's been removed.

You've got to be pretty dim to think that is erasing history. After the war all statues of Hitler were torn down, which is why we've never heard of him.

History isn't about british exceptionalism. Or shouldn't be. There's a lot to be proud of in our history, but there's bad stuff too and we should be educated enough to understand that. You should try it sometime.

Oh and by the way, using the word snowflake doesn't insult me, it just tells me exactly the sort of person you are.

ChloePsych

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Just one small point: I am firmly of the opinion that all debates are formulated by opinion.
If we didn't give an opinion there would be very little point in debating, surely!?
Debate should also rely on fact, otherwise it's just spouting sh**.

B

Bad_Influence

That statue was of a slave trader. it was erected 200 years after his death. Local people had campaigned for it to be removed. The mayor wanted it removed. It's been removed.

You've got to be pretty dim to think that is erasing history. After the war all statues of Hitler were torn down, which is why we've never heard of him.

History isn't about british exceptionalism. Or shouldn't be. There's a lot to be proud of in our history, but there's bad stuff too and we should be educated enough to understand that. You should try it sometime.

Oh and by the way, using the word snowflake doesn't insult me, it just tells me exactly the sort of person you are.

So you’re fully in support of protecting the many other statues that have recently been threatened? You just want the one in Bristol gone because you believe that the locals do? The fact it was still there would suggest, although I admit I don’t know if a vote was taken, that not many wanted it gone.
History is about facts, and we shouldn’t cherry-pick which ones we choose to remember. We must remember the bad stuff if we are to learn from it. A statue does not automatically mean that the person or event is celebrated, only that it is a part of this nation.
And if you think you know me from one single word I think that says a lot more about you than it does about me.
Now, stop believing all you are told by your peers and The Independent, and start thinking for yourself. At least give it a try eh?

Reaction score
Slave trading was there because there was a market for slaves. People bought slaves, slavery was the fashion. Everyone had an iSlave. The removal of the statue, its no bad thing obviously, it only served as a reminder to who Britain was at one time. And now anything reminding us of slavery will disappear and that part of Britains history can be erased from the history books. Both sides of the argument will be happy because there'll be no reminders of what Britain was or what blacks were. Slavery never existed. Everyones happy.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

Fine, remove the statue.
Then remove everything that has come from the money that he invested.
Most university students don't understand that their faculty was supplied originally by those who had questionable dealings within the Commonwealth.
They are at least hypocritical and at the most, profiting from slavery themselves.
So what should we do, close down every institution that profited from slavery directly or indirectly.
Bearing in mind the modern slave trade is worth billions and is much higher than any historical trade.
In Libya right now you can buy a girl for between $6 and $25 depending on age.

I'm much more concerned about that than someone's statue.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Slave trading was there because there was a market for slaves. People bought slaves, slavery was the fashion. Everyone had an iSlave. The removal of the statue, its no bad thing obviously, it only served as a reminder to who Britain was at one time. And now anything reminding us of slavery will disappear and that part of Britains history can be erased from the history books. Both sides of the argument will be happy because there'll be no reminders of what Britain was or what blacks were. Slavery never existed. Everyones happy.

You do know that slavery was illegal in the UK, the only reason there was a slave trade was due to the commonwealths dependence on it to be economically viable.
Not a glowing response, but it was the UK that actually ended the slave trade.
So for all those who wish to play the blame game, look to other places where it is still operating widely.

ChloePsych

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
So you’re fully in support of protecting the many other statues that have recently been threatened? You just want the one in Bristol gone because you believe that the locals do? The fact it was still there would suggest, although I admit I don’t know if a vote was taken, that not many wanted it gone.
History is about facts, and we shouldn’t cherry-pick which ones we choose to remember. We must remember the bad stuff if we are to learn from it. A statue does not automatically mean that the person or event is celebrated, only that it is a part of this nation.
And if you think you know me from one single word I think that says a lot more about you than it does about me.
Now, stop believing all you are told by your peers and The Independent, and start thinking for yourself. At least give it a try eh?

I'm not in support of protecting anything. Cecil Rhodes is coming down. There are several on the list that will be removed. This is not eradicating history, it's choosing who we celebrate. History will still be there.

Eradicating history isn't taking statues down, it's pretending the people they commemorate were good people worthy of statues.

You think I get my opinion from the independent? That makes you an idiot because you obviously get yours from the mail and the telegraph,

And yes, snowflake tells me everything.

Back