British Birds

Are house sparrows on a decline in numbers, because gardens are lacking food supply's ?

• Yes, there should be more garden feeders.

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • No, its because of other reasons.

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters

Sausages

Sausages
Reaction score
Foxes eat eggs and birds... :O

Foxes do eat birds and eggs wren but they do have to live like everything else. I used to keep chickens but the fox took advantage of a stormy night and the door being blown open and it killed all my chucks. It was bad news. But. It’s just what they do.

W

Wren

Ive kept a record of the birds that visit my garden over the past 10 years. And ive had the regular birds like sparrows. Blue tits blackbirds etc. but over years i get a few more colorful like jays and goldfinches. I recently spotted a woodpecker which was a nice looking bird. Never seen one before that.
What a lovely share
Commited bird tracking , now that's special :)
I don't be so exact on my recording with own garden bird. It has the regular visits same birds they're seem wise of the danger and with out a watch they kno what time to come and feed :)

I have kept bird sighting as regards to records but it's mostly along the lines of places I've been and seen....

This week my most favourite moment has been a little robin feeding beside me. Being totally cute ... Mesmerized by the little fellow I was , could well have been a Kaa.
Less than 2mm from hopping onto my boot.

:plove this season winter robins :cool: wrens and gold crest :p always a:D

Thanks for sharing Ur garden visitors
Wishing a regular return on the woodpecker
:cool:

W

Wren

Foxes do eat birds and eggs wren but they do have to live like everything else. I used to keep chickens but the fox took advantage of a stormy night and the door being blown open and it killed all my chucks. It was bad news. But. It’s just what they do.
So it was like the beginning on that movie Oz
Then ...a view ...shock , wide eye glare , feathers n blood...
Ate the lot!
Is worse than watching a Hitchcock's horror

Do like the Fox tho :D especially the fantastic kind :p

Lex51

Howdy ya'll
Reaction score
No these are exactly like pigeons but twice the size and forgive my stupid cat comment the reason i dont like them is because they gobble up all the food that is left out for the smaller birds
If you use a suet block in a block holder that won't happen.

W

Wren

If you use a suet block in a block holder that won't happen.
And remember to discard any un eaten food... realistically....would u eat a suet block hung for months?
:p ... Birds need fresh , replenished stations, blocks regularly changed :cool: water too :rolleyes:

Sausages

Sausages
Reaction score
So it was like the beginning on that movie Oz
Then ...a view ...shock , wide eye glare , feathers n blood...
Ate the lot!
Is worse than watching a Hitchcock's horror

Do like the Fox tho :D especially the fantastic kind :p
Lol Wren you do make me smile

RectangleBob

Angst Rant Person
Reaction score
You're pretty knowledgeable about birds and their biology. Do you live in the country?

Sausages

Sausages
Reaction score
When I was a young boy. My father used to take me out into the Cheshire countryside. And there was a bird watching area where visitors had set up feeding stations for the birds over many years. It was at the side of a farmers field I think the land was owned by Lord Stamford, I visited there in 2012 only to find the area had been cleared and a barb wire fence erected a tiny area of land like that approximately. 20ft x 20ft just closed off over night. HUMBUG

W

Wren

When I was a young boy. My father used to take me out into the Cheshire countryside. And there was a bird watching area where visitors had set up feeding stations for the birds over many years. It was at the side of a farmers field I think the land was owned by Lord Stamford, I visited there in 2012 only to find the area had been cleared and a barb wire fence erected a tiny area of land like that approximately. 20ft x 20ft just closed off over night. HUMBUG
:oops:thats too sad to read almost
Same in many places. When I began my first year driving I too re visited old haunts
Lucky for me
Most still exist :)

Maybe u could find a new place, then set up a new feeding zone.
:cool:

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

Maybe the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds site may have list of places you can go visit see birds.

funandflirty

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
AFFD1484-AB43-460B-9945-744779A1CC6F.jpeg So this dude (he’s a sparrowhawk) swooped down in the summer and took a sparrow from the feeder in my garden. Sad for the sparrow but amazing to see

Sausages

Sausages
Reaction score
i was feeding ring neck doves in the garden one day and one of those come from no where and took one of them away it was only a few feet away

funandflirty

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
i was feeding ring neck doves in the garden one day and one of those come from no where and took one of them away it was only a few feet away

they’re amazing! And they have zero fcuks to give :D

funandflirty

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
02573815-FD02-4F56-BD4F-CF9C49B08DA3.jpeg
so this little dude was too weak and pretty much fell into my lap, so I kept him and fed him up (I will upload the release pic)

Back