What are you reading?

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I've read Tom Wolfe 'The Right Stuff' again. Superb account of the 'space race', Project Mercury astronauts, and documents the views of their wives, test pilots, NASA, and the astronauts, plus much more. Highly recommended.

Today I finished 'Shikasta', by Doris Lessing, the first book in her 'Canopus in Argos: Archives.' Again, read all five novels before, but, they are so enjoyable. And her, 'Briefing for a Descent into Hell'. Outstanding.

On Audible, John Douglas and Mark Olshaker, 'Journey into Darkness,' 'Inside the Mind of BTK' and 'The Killer's Shadow', all three books by the guys who pretty much set up the criminal profiling unit at the FBI Behavioural Science Unit in Quantico. All are read by different narrator's. I'll be listening to the end of 'The Killer's Shadow' as I fall asleep later. Once more, highly recommended. Including any read by Robert Ressler.

When finished with the above, I have Barack Obama and 'A Promised Land', in my Audible library.

Last edited:

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I've read Tom Wolfe 'The Right Stuff' again. Superb account of the 'space race', Project Mercury astronauts, and documents the views of their wives, test pilots, NASA, and the astronauts, plus much more. Highly recommended.
I've seen the movie/documentary but I've not read the book, i'll certainly pick it up when I get a chance.The bravery of those men, they are aptly named 'The Right Stuff'.

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I've seen the movie/documentary but I've not read the book, i'll certainly pick it up when I get a chance.The bravery of those men, they are aptly named 'The Right Stuff'.

I've watched the movie too and enjoyed it. But, the book takes it to a whole different level. Tom Wolfe was an 'investigative' journalist of a different breed. The book, jaw dropping stuff. Way beyond what the film shows. You have to read it. Please let me know when you do. It will be good to have your thoughts/take on it..

Have you read his 'The Bonfire of the Vanities' or 'Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers'? If not, I encourage you to read them and I endorse both.

Last edited:

JennyFleck

Inconsistently Consistent
Reaction score
Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart.
Set in the 1980s, Glasgow, the titular character grows up in poverty with his mother battling alcohol addiction, and an absent father.
This book echoes Angela's Ashes and some Irvine Welsh. Profoundly devastating prose and with a semi-autobiographical feel (I'll need to see if it actually is...) the 2020 Booker Prize winner is a hard, yet worthy read. Filled with dark humour against the backdrop of Thatcherite Britain and decimated industries, Shuggie Bain is (so far) a well-written and relatable novel... 8 outta 10.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I've watched the movie too and enjoyed it. But, the book takes it to a whole different level. Tom Wolfe was an 'investigative' journalist of a different breed. The book, jaw dropping stuff. Way beyond what the film shows. You have to read it. Please let me know when you do. It will be good to have your thoughts/take on it..

Have you read his 'The Bonfire of the Vanities' or 'Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers'? If not, I encourage you to read them and I endorse both.

I get all my books from charity shops or from the book stalls at the local flea market. With it all being locked down I am running out of reading material. It's only if I really want a book I'll look online for it. I did look on ebay for that 'The Right Stuff' and got all excited when I saw the price was only £2.10 and that included delivery! but on closer inspection its was a Mills & Boon book :rolleyes: obviously you cant trade mark a book title. The cheapest Tom Wolfe 'Right Stuff, in good condition, was £5.20. I could get 10 books in the charity shop for that, :) and not only that the cash would be going to a good cause. But thanks for the book recommendation, I'll let you know If I do come across it, because I will certainly pick it up.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
This is an example of an out of print book I bought on the internet. There was no alternative, because i could spend years searching charity shops and never find it. It's an example of my favourite genre, 50/60s classic science fiction.
This Island Earth.jpg

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The internet is great for finding old books .

I found one over 15 yrs ago (used) that I hadn't finished reading as a pre teen ( it got lost during a move) and was impossible to find elsewhere (out of print).

I didnt buy it at the time, thinking 'what the heck, I half read it as a 12 yr old, my tastes in books have changed since then', still I was curious to see how the book ended, but opted out regardless.

Just looked it up on the internet - The book is apparently now very rare and the person who has put it up for sale on Amazon is asking $920.00 for the edition I had (first print hardcover ) and another of the same edition is up for sale at $199.00 (maybe cheaper due to the condition.of the book).

There is a second edition (used) for sale at $79.00 .

The book is called Ballet For Laura.
The problem with some old books is that they're prone to 'foxing' brown stains on the pages. It's just cosmetic problem. I recently bought a first edition of 'Love is a many-splendored thing' printed in 1952? It is heavily foxed but it didn't detract from the pleasure of reading it, and I only paid coppers for it. :)
I deleted it due to the 'information gatherers'.
I take your point about 'information gatherers'
Any photo taken with a smart camera is not just a picture, but a file and holds a wealth of information - when the photo was took, even the latitude and longitude of where the photo was took. If you took the picture at home, it's got your address! People should to be aware that putting a photo online can be risky. I put pics up knowing this, and that this is a trusted site, but that if anyone ever did come to my home after 'doxing' me - they'd get a punch up the bracket! :mad:

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
On Amazon at the moment, a Kindle edition of The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe, is at £1.99. If you don't have access to a Kindle you can get a Kindle app for free, again on Amazon. The app may be free - 1: because of Amazon Prime, 2: because of a 'free 3 months app offer' or for other or no reason. I haven't checked. No matter, with the 'free' app the book is £1.99. (reduced at the moment from £10.99). Not sure how long this offer will last. Hope this helps. The most expensive alternative on Amazon at the moment (could be an error) is £198 for a hardback edition, with free delivery. I suspect it is meant to be £19.80.

I get all my books from charity shops or from the book stalls at the local flea market. With it all being locked down I am running out of reading material. It's only if I really want a book I'll look online for it. I did look on ebay for that 'The Right Stuff' and got all excited when I saw the price was only £2.10 and that included delivery! but on closer inspection its was a Mills & Boon book :rolleyes: obviously you cant trade mark a book title. The cheapest Tom Wolfe 'Right Stuff, in good condition, was £5.20. I could get 10 books in the charity shop for that, :) and not only that the cash would be going to a good cause. But thanks for the book recommendation, I'll let you know If I do come across it, because I will certainly pick it up.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
The Shrinking Man by Richard Matheson.

You may have seen the classic sci-fi movie " The incredible shrinking man" based on the book, memorable mainly for his escape from the pet cat and his titanic battle with a spider. I found the book in a charity shop and it has a much darker tone, whilst still a horror-adventure story, It's more a study of loss of masculinity. When he's down to 4ft he struggles to make love to his wife, he also attracts the attention of a paedophile.. . . . . It's an interesting read, worth picking up if you ever come across it.
Well! You do have strange tastes! :)

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Well! You do have strange tastes! :)
Strange tastes? harsh! :p I do like reading classic sci/fi. But for a change I've been reading Han Suyin. Her books are semi-autobiographical, and all based in the far east, an area of the world that's of interest to me. Now, If I were an devotee of Katy Price's numerous autobiographies - you'd have a point! :)

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Vomiting brilliant. So tasty, I had to read it twice.

Tender is the Flesh
by Agustina Bazterrica, 2020

A virus wipes out all animal life. Humans are farmed as food. Marcos runs a factory that raises and slaughters humans, and is intimately involved with every stage of production...

'A brutal tale of what humans are capable of inflicting on themselves when social norms collapse. Grotesque, gloriously nasty. Utterly compelling' - LK

'This is a hideous, bold and unforgettable vision of the future. Just make sure you've eaten before picking it up' - iD Mag

'Bazterrica plunges her readers into a whirlpool of indescribable inhumanity. This book will pull you in, take hold, and not let go until you reach the final page - perhaps far longer than that. Without a doubt, my favourite read of this year' - CD - VOX

Last edited:

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
And, staying with the virus pandemic them', next ,I shall be reading Survivor Song, 2020 horror novel by Paul Trembley.

This times it is a virus causing a disease similar to rabies.

Great book to sink my teeth into.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Strange tastes? harsh! :p I do like reading classic sci/fi. But for a change I've been reading Han Suyin. Her books are semi-autobiographical, and all based in the far east, an area of the world that's of interest to me. Now, If I were an devotee of Katy Price's numerous autobiographies - you'd have a point! :)
I tend to avoid women authors. There are some very good ones of course but on the whole, I prefer male writers.
I've never heard of Han Suyin. :cool::cool:

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
'One man's trash is another man's treasure is absolutely the case in Ankara Turkey where garbage collectors started collecting discarded books and ended up opening a library.'

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
'One man's trash is another man's treasure is absolutely the case in Ankara Turkey where garbage collectors started collecting discarded books and ended up opening a library.'

What a fabulous scheme. Why would anyone throw away a book? Surely you could pass them on to someone or just hand them into a charity shop. I know some 'upmarket' charity shops won't accept books with creases or yellowed pages, but some will take anything (usually the animal protection societies). I'm not one for keeping a book once I've read it, to then just put it on a shelf to gather dust. It's only if I'm attached to a book I'll keep it (attached to a book :rolleyes:) like my classic Sci/Fi, Han Suyin etc. they're my treasure! :)

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
What a fabulous scheme. Why would anyone throw away a book? Surely you could pass them on to someone or just hand them into a charity shop. I know some 'upmarket' charity shops won't accept books with creases or yellowed pages, but some will take anything (usually the animal protection societies). I'm not one for keeping a book once I've read it, to then just put it on a shelf to gather dust. It's only if I'm attached to a book I'll keep it (attached to a book :rolleyes:) like my classic Sci/Fi, Han Suyin etc. they're my treasure! :)

Used to see books sitting on benches for ppl to 'borrow' and bring back . wren2008 when she went on hols used to take 2 books she read and leave in the lounge / poolside of wherever she was staying and swoop her for whatever was there .

Back