What are you reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by Elea, Oct 3, 2018.

1. LadyOnArooftop

LadyOnArooftop UKChat Expert

Strange tastes? harsh! :p I do like reading classic sci/fi. But for a change I've been reading Han Suyin. Her books are semi-autobiographical, and all based in the far east, an area of the world that's of interest to me. Now, If I were an devotee of Katy Price's numerous autobiographies - you'd have a point! :)

TwoWhalesInAPool likes this.
  2. TwoWhalesInAPool

TwoWhalesInAPool UKChat Expert

Vomiting brilliant. So tasty, I had to read it twice.

Tender is the Flesh
    by Agustina Bazterrica, 2020

A virus wipes out all animal life. Humans are farmed as food. Marcos runs a factory that raises and slaughters humans, and is intimately involved with every stage of production...

'A brutal tale of what humans are capable of inflicting on themselves when social norms collapse. Grotesque, gloriously nasty. Utterly compelling' - LK

'This is a hideous, bold and unforgettable vision of the future. Just make sure you've eaten before picking it up' - iD Mag

'Bazterrica plunges her readers into a whirlpool of indescribable inhumanity. This book will pull you in, take hold, and not let go until you reach the final page - perhaps far longer than that. Without a doubt, my favourite read of this year' - CD - VOX

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  3. TwoWhalesInAPool

And, staying with the virus pandemic them', next ,I shall be reading Survivor Song, 2020 horror novel by Paul Trembley.

This times it is a virus causing a disease similar to rabies.

Great book to sink my teeth into.

4. Dong

Dong UKChat Familiar

I tend to avoid women authors. There are some very good ones of course but on the whole, I prefer male writers.
    I've never heard of Han Suyin. :cool::cool:

5. TwoWhalesInAPool

'One man's trash is another man's treasure is absolutely the case in Ankara Turkey where garbage collectors started collecting discarded books and ended up opening a library.'

LadyOnArooftop likes this.
  6. saraholeee

saraholeee UKChat Newbie

I am reading "What Is Mathematics"

7. LadyOnArooftop

What a fabulous scheme. Why would anyone throw away a book? Surely you could pass them on to someone or just hand them into a charity shop. I know some 'upmarket' charity shops won't accept books with creases or yellowed pages, but some will take anything (usually the animal protection societies). I'm not one for keeping a book once I've read it, to then just put it on a shelf to gather dust. It's only if I'm attached to a book I'll keep it (attached to a book :rolleyes:) like my classic Sci/Fi, Han Suyin etc. they're my treasure! :)

TwoWhalesInAPool likes this.
  8. megs233

megs233 UKChat Expert

Used to see books sitting on benches for ppl to 'borrow' and bring back . wren2008 when she went on hols used to take 2 books she read and leave in the lounge / poolside of wherever she was staying and swoop her for whatever was there .

9. LadyOnArooftop

A few of the holiday hotels I stayed at had something similar. A corner of the reception area where people going home, so their baggage wasn't overweight, could leave things they didn't want to take back. Books, suntan lotion etc. In one place, after the coach left it was like a feeding frenzy seeing what had been left, and it wasn't just me! :)

megs233 and TwoWhalesInAPool like this.