What are you reading?

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
wren2008 when she went on hols used to take 2 books she read and leave in the lounge / poolside of wherever she was staying and swoop her for whatever was there .
A few of the holiday hotels I stayed at had something similar. A corner of the reception area where people going home, so their baggage wasn't overweight, could leave things they didn't want to take back. Books, suntan lotion etc. In one place, after the coach left it was like a feeding frenzy seeing what had been left, and it wasn't just me! :)

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I have started to read

John Fowles :: The Magus (for the 2nd time)

Jennifer Egan :: A Visit from the Good Squad

and

Salman Rushdie's :: Haroun and the Sea of Stories

and my next choice will be

Dave Eggers :: A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I have started to read

John Fowles :: The Magus (for the 2nd time)

So I'm not the only person who'll read a book more than once, that's nice to know, :) because some people find that very odd indeed. Some won't even watch a movie for a 2nd time. You listen to the same music more than once, so why not for a book, if it gives you pleasure to do so.

A

avonguy

Sarah Winman is an author new to me. I love her three published novels - When God Was a Rabbit, A Year of Marvellous Ways & Tin Man. Highly recommended.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I've just been given 'Banco' to read, It's the sequel to 'Papillon'. You may have seen the film version starring Steve McQueen. Now, I read Papillon when I was in my teens (I didn't get out much) and at the time, I believed it to be a true story. After googling, I've learnt that the book was very liberal with the truth. But from what i can remember, it was a fascinating autobiography, Let's hope this Banco is just as enthralling a read.

Nikita

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Of mice and men by John Steinbeck....been highly recommended and its a classic, just up my alley .

B

Bad_Influence

Of mice and men by John Steinbeck....been highly recommended and its a classic, just up my alley .

I still say you’d be better off reading ‘The Door To December’ by Dean Koontz.
Thought provoking, worrying, and a great read.

Steinbeck is a difficult read, or maybe that’s just me being thick. Lol

Nikita

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I'm certain you're not thick! Give Steinbeck a go and I'll consider "The Door To December "...it sounds intriguing.

B

Bad_Influence

I'm certain you're not thick! Give Steinbeck a go and I'll consider "The Door To December "...it sounds intriguing.

Ive tried Steinbeck, only Of Mice And Men and Best Laid Plans I think, but found them tedious at best. Koontz is, in my humble opinion, one who suggests the improbable but possible, as fecked up as life is.

Velvet1

https://youtu.be/viimfQi_pUw
Reaction score
Just posting to ideas to what to read ty :)

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I am reading "What Is Mathematics"
I've been given "The bedside book of algebra" (sheep counting for smarty pants). I accepted it, thinking it was going to be a humorous book. It looked unread, Now i know why! It's just pure mathematics, what a misleading title!
Sarah Winman is an author new to me. I love her three published novels
It's lovely when you discover an author new to you. I was the same with Han Suyin, I adored her first three books, but the fourth "The mountain is young" is very disappointing, to the point I'm struggling to finish it :(

A

avonguy

An author whose books I really enjoy reading is Monty Don (and you don't necessarily have to be interested in gardening).

A

avonguy

Any fans of Ben Aaronovitch's 'Rivers of London' series on here? His new novella, 'What Abigail Did Last Summer', has just been published.

JennyFleck

Inconsistently Consistent
Reaction score
Books I've read this week:

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
The Radleys by Matt Haig
Every Move You Make by Deborah Bee

Back