What are you reading?

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Any fans of Ben Aaronovitch's 'Rivers of London' series on here? His new novella, 'What Abigail Did Last Summer', has just been published.
I've got the 'Rivers of London' graphic novel comic book in my collection. I'm not sure how closely it follows the book, but from what I can remember It was a combination of CSI and Harry Potter. it was an enjoyable read.

A

avonguy

I've got the 'Rivers of London' graphic novel comic book in my collection. I'm not sure how closely it follows the book, but from what I can remember It was a combination of CSI and Harry Potter. it was an enjoyable read.

The RoL comics / graphic novels follow the books closely but I don't think you have to doggedly follow both to enjoy one or t'other.

IglooLass

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I’m definitely going to have to get that book! I love the dark side of fairy tales. My daughter (she’s 4) has learned the song “ring around the rosey” I tell her that’s about the pledge. Of course she doesn’t understand but I love looking up the actual origin of fairytales and the dark and twisted side of them inside of the boring happy go lucky.
Ring a ring o roses is about the plague and how the villagers of Eyam sacrificed themselves in irder to prevent the plague from spreading to further surrounding villages. They laid roses around the village perimeter as a boundary (ring a ring o roses), they used to carry around what they called "nose gays" a little pouch full of sweet scented petals to ward off bad smells (pocket full of posies). They mimicked plague victims sneezing (Atishoo Atishoo), Then they mimicked the ultimate - death ( We all fall down)
the plague village being the village of Eyam in Derbyshire - well worth a visit.

JennyFleck

Inconsistently Consistent
Reaction score
This week:

Ayoade on Top by Richard Ayoade
23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism by Ha-Joon Chang
Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay

Manorgasmian

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Pets with Tourettes 2 , absolute classic page Turner!

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
On topic. From media recommendation.

The Vaccine Race: How Scientists Used Human Cells to Combat Killer Viruses by Meredith Wadman
[Can be purchased in all formats on Amazon]

First class piece of science writing. Researched to the hilt. Brilliant and exciting story. A book for those who like to delve deep into
science of vaccines, the ethics, and the story of the scientists, who have saved untold numbers of lives. It is a book for
everyone no matter their background or knowledge.

and after that I will read:

The Pandemic Century: A History of Global Contagion from the Spanish Flu to Covid-19 by Mark Hoingsbaum

[Can be purchased in all formats on Amazon]

Does what it says on the cover. Will report back after I have read it.

Both authors have first class credentials and experience.

D

DanNorfolk

King of the Gypsies Bartley Gorman.

A fascinating tale of a supposed unbeaten bare-knuckle fighter and which not only delves into the male-dominated Gypsy culture/lifestyle but also the endless procession of young guns challenging him.

JennyFleck

Reaction score
The Invisible Life of Addy LaRue by V.E. Schwab
Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro
The Glorious Heresies by Lisa McInerney

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
the latest three books by John Newsinger

* Boris Johnson: A Dangerous Man (2019
* Chosen By God: Donald Trump, the Christian Right and American Capitalism (2020)
* A Rebel's Guide to George Orwell (2021)

and

from Noam Chomsky,

* Requiem for the American Dream: The 10 Principles of Concentration of Wealth & Power (2017)

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
How to fook up on a chat site.....By 'Altair'...:D

JennyFleck

Reaction score
The Better Angels of Our Nature by Steven Pinker

JennyFleck

Reaction score
Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris

Manorgasmian

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
A lot of fun. Sedaris is such a bastard, he will make you feel great about yourself :) it's laugh out loud. 9 outta 10... you should try him ;-)
Will give him a go and let you know how I got on!

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Yes, A Tale of Two Cities. . . .
A man who's led a tortuous and worthless life, gives up his life by taking another man's place on the guillotine, and utters the final line of the novel -
'It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known. '
what a great last line, and what a great book.

Back