What are you reading?

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
This morning I've been browsing through the charity shops on the high street, that's all there seems to be there these days. Now, most will have seen the film 'Love is a many-splendored thing' if not, you would certainly recognise the soundtrack. well, I picked up a first edition of the book the film was based on - "a many splendored thing" by Han Suyin. It's in a very poor condition but should be an interesting read.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I've just finished 'Between Silk and Cyanide' by Leo Marks. It was a truly absorbing read. It's about the SOE (Special Ops Executive) in WW2. The book is written in a humorous way, which in itself is amazing, given that the main function of the SOE was to infiltrate agents into enemy territory to perform acts of sabotage. The sheer bravery of those women that parachuted into enemy-occupied countries, knowing what would happen to them if they were ever captured, and many of them were. .. .

Shak

Staff member
Reaction score
I binge authors currently it's Peter James, (Crime Fiction) I enjoy his style of writing, however most of his books are all similar named. 'Looking Good Dead' 'Dead Simple' Not Dead Enough' etc. So after hearing one of his books I'd ordered had arrived whilst I was at work, I came home looking forward to reading it, but it's one I've already bought/read, not once but twice before. Doh! So having to make do with reading the Forum instead :)

Shak

Staff member
Reaction score
This morning I've been browsing through the charity shops on the high street, that's all there seems to be there these days. Now, most will have seen the film 'Love is a many-splendored thing' if not, you would certainly recognise the soundtrack. well, I picked up a first edition of the book the film was based on - "a many splendored thing" by Han Suyin. It's in a very poor condition but should be an interesting read.
Nice find, I love browsing charity shops for books.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I'm reading n introduction to Scots laws

We have a common law, while the Scots have a mixed system. It's quite a complicated subject, but an interesting one if you're into laws of the land.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Nice find, I love browsing charity shops for books.
It was a very enjoyable read. I didn't realise 'Love is a many-splendored thing' was based on a true story. I initially thought the book to be in a poor condition because some of the pages were covered in brown spots which i took to be mold. I've since been told that it's something harmless called 'Foxing' which affects old paper.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I've got three and a bit bookcases full and brimming and groaning with the weight, to the despair of Mrs D.
I love them all and could never decide upon a favourite as it would always depend upon my mood at the time.
I have read Barchester Towers several times though!

Last edited:

Shak

Staff member
Reaction score
Not wanting to take over/change the thread, but would like to know what peoples fav books are, as always looking for a recommendation. Mine sounds naff but I'll admit to it a Dean Koontz (Yeah I know) book called Watchers I love that book and have read it several times. I'd recommend it to everyone.

T

tonyp2911

'Mans search for Meaning' by Viktor Frankl is an excellent book about the holocaust. He was a Psychiatrist who was interred himself. Its emotive but not depressing. Great amazon reviews.

J

Jo_King

"The man who fell to earth". seen the David Bowie movie, was totally incomprehensible. the book makes sense of the movie, a rip-roaring read.

GJ14

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
The award winning Sunday times bestseller.....
'THIS IS GOING TO HURT' ........secret diaries of a junior doctor by Adam Kay.
Its amazingly funny what goes on behind hospital doors!
Ooh one on my list. ! Heard good things

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The Shrinking Man by Richard Matheson.

You may have seen the classic sci-fi movie " The incredible shrinking man" based on the book, memorable mainly for his escape from the pet cat and his titanic battle with a spider. I found the book in a charity shop and it has a much darker tone, whilst still a horror-adventure story, It's more a study of loss of masculinity. When he's down to 4ft he struggles to make love to his wife, he also attracts the attention of a paedophile.. . . . . It's an interesting read, worth picking up if you ever come across it.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Few people appear to be reading during lockdown, however, let me showcase my eclectic taste in literature :p
I am currently reading "Destination Chungking" by Han Suyin. It's about a young woman surviving in a war zone. And we think we've got problems :rolleyes:

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
The third twin... by Ken Follett.
A complicated yarn about genetics, murder and identity.

Words

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
i like Dean Koontz as well shak not long read the watchers:)

B

Bad_Influence

i like Dean Koontz as well shak not long read the watchers:)

Watchers is definitely one of his best. But I’d highly recommend Dark Rivers Of The Heart, The Jane Hawk books, but by far his best, written under the name Richard Paige, The Door To December is stunning.

Back