Will you open up your home to a Ukrainian refugee?

Hughie

Take these times easy.be safe.Help others.
Reaction score
Its ok saying you would take people in.£350 ehhhh lovely it wouldnt even pay the energy bills.Taking in a family.Ive got to agree with look after the people here.They are sitting going without a meal day in day out.Kids going without the basics and paying such a cost in their lives.poverty brings no favors.Only from the hearts of the understanding.Comes comfort.Westminster.Look after your own so they can look after others.because they will.Why they know how it feels to be without.
Altair Is right its a cheep soultion.A Government hell bent on crippling it's OWN people.

My heart goes out to all that suffer in war.This all has yet to be played out.So we will see how it goes.But People need help here.And are still forgotten.

S

Saphire

It is an entirely personal choice on whether a person opens up their home to house an innocent refugee fleeing from a war torn country. No one has to explain why they will/won't if they don't want to...it's everyone's right to choose.

But....I don't think you can compare the poverty in this country to the utter desperation, danger and death many of the Ukrainian people are facing right now.

Just saying.

Hughie

Take these times easy.be safe.Help others.
Reaction score
It is an entirely personal choice on whether a person opens up their home to house an innocent refugee fleeing from a war torn country. No one has to explain why they will/won't if they don't want to...it's everyone's right to choose.

But....I don't think you can compare the poverty in this country to the utter desperation, danger and death many of the Ukrainian people are facing right now.

Just saying.
Desperation, danger and death,All exist here too.Esp on the streets.I see your point though.Its a diffrent situattion.Horrid situation to land on anybodys doorstep.

BronzeSquirrel

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Telegram has disabled all their comment sections and Twitter has (rightly) banned the video because footage was shared in the comments of some Ukrainian Telegram channels this morning of a girl, naked, hair set on fire, forced to paint her own face by the Ukrainian nationalists. I saw the footage before it was removed and it’s truly horrific, a sight that would keep you awake at night.
Videos of Ukrainian soldiers systematically shooting Russian prisoners of war in the legs have not been banned or removed yet, but no doubt they will be.
And some are still flying the yellow and blue. :mad::mad::mad:

Edited bit…
Ukrainian Presidential adviser Arestovych commented on the video showing Ukrainians shoot Russian POWs, stating that he harshly condemns such behavior, that Ukraine "doesn't abuse prisoners because it's a European country" & the events on the video "look like a war crime".

Now I don’t know if these soldiers were under Zelensky’s control or not, but if they were, it’s terrifying, and if they weren’t, it’s terrifying.
The shooting of the Russians video has already been debunked as fake. These days it's very difficult to know what's fake or real.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about this and I'm sorry we got off to a bad start.
I'm sorry if I offended you in any way regarding your charity work.
It wasn't meant to be personal, I was merely replying to what I read in your posts and generalising on what goes on behind the scenes of charity work.

Accidents happen and can be life changing - Please don't despise the way you are.
I'm sure your ability/knowledge on many different topics can (and does) outshine many :)

I know thats an old post, I missed it but it deserves an answer lol.

We might not agree, we might fight about things online, thats the beauty of speech.
Isn't that how we learn?

I was not offended at all by your posts, in fact it should be me apologising to you.

I ranted, badly, I do that sometimes, you bore the brunt of it and for that I'm sorry.

Your questioning the world, evaluating what you think you know, just as I am.

Opinions are like that, until we see something differently we cant change them.

Being open minded to others ideas is how we change, how society improves, how we improve ourselves.

Until we can be sure of ourselves, how can we be sure of anything around us?

Only by questioning our own beliefs can we get to a truth we can live with.

liam222

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I'm lucky I managed to buy an house, but when I didn't have enough money i tried getting social housing and they wouldn't even let me on the list, I wouldn't be putting ukranians as priority, I can't understand why people feel the need to

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I had to laugh at those people who opened up their home to a refugee, only to find that they couldn't get along with a total stranger :rolleyes:, so asked
them to leave...

S

Saphire

I had to laugh at those people who opened up their home to a refugee, only to find that they couldn't get along with a total stranger :rolleyes:, so asked
them to leave...
I thought of this thread when you started your thread the other day.:D

I do wonder how many homes have been disrupted in a bad way...sometimes people have the best intentions, and it comes back to bite them in the bum.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I thought of this thread when you started your thread the other day.:D
I was initially going to put my last comment in the 'Things you roll your eyes at' thread, because I really do roll my eyes when i see people rushing
to bring total strangers into their home. :rolleyes: Then I saw that someone had revived this thought-provoking and more appropriate thread. :)
I was interested in some of the reasons the hosts asked the refugees to leave... One refugee insisted on smoking in the house. One host was a vegetarian and was unhappy about meat being brought into the home. Most reasons were because of the language barrier, they just couldn't communicate.

S

Saphire

I was initially going to put my last comment in the 'Things you roll your eyes at' thread, because I really do roll my eyes when i see people rushing
to bring total strangers into their home. :rolleyes: Then I saw that someone had revived this thought-provoking and more appropriate thread. :)
I was interested in some of the reasons the hosts asked the refugees to leave... One refugee insisted on smoking in the house. One host was a vegetarian and was unhappy about meat being brought into the home. Most reasons were because of the language barrier, they just couldn't communicate.
I bet some people just had a gut reaction, they wanted to help the refugees, the government was appealing for people to open their homes up (or offloading responsibility) and the good hearted people of this country did as they were asked. :oops:

No doubt it will work out for some, especially if the refugees are young enough not to be set in their ways, and hopefully don't smoke.;)

Back