Will you open up your home to a Ukrainian refugee?

S

Saphire

The government will shortly appeal to the public to home a refugee if they are able.
Anyone who is willing and able, will be asked to take in a refugee, for a minimum of 6 months....the refugees, will be allowed to work, claim benefits, and have access to all services.

Would you be in the position to take in a Ukrainian refugee...and will you?

PennyDreadful2

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
The government will shortly appeal to the public to home a refugee if they are able.
Anyone who is willing and able, will be asked to take in a refugee, for a minimum of 6 months....the refugees, will be allowed to work, claim benefits, and have access to all services.

Would you be in the position to take in a Ukrainian refugee...and will you?
This is such a dilemma for me.
My Father was from Ukraine, he would have been heartbroken at the current situation.
I would have to give serious consideration to allow anyone to live in my flat. I wonder how difficult it would be, to get the flat back again?
I sound heartless, I do not mean to come over like this. Please don't make me feel any more awful than I already do, about the situation.

PennyDreadful2

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Would anyone with any sense take a stranger into their home. Especially when, as you say, you wouldn’t know how long this would be for or how easy it would be to be rid of them if they abused the generosity. If this country can put up illegal immigrants in 5 star hotels surely we can do the same for legal immigrants? Why should we be expected to risk our own houses, safety, privacy on the word of our elites?
Well said.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
There are plenty of people who were born etc here who are sleeping in cardboard boxes .I would be happy to share a place in my house with a Ukraine refugee if it was at all practical but i think it much better for them and this country if they were offered the use of some disused air hanger or similar commodity until the war is over for them.Provide all their needs ,food clothing,heating ,light etc . Surely many of these refugees were wealthy enough to pay rents etc to local councils for a temporary pad?. Many of them seemed to have a car and good clothes . and if they have a bank account they should be able to use that here also ?.

It`s a shitty situation but surely it would be better if they all found a place to live for now in Poland or a country bordering onto Ukraine. The rest of Europe can help by funding the cost to that country .

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I do have a spare room but I don't think i'll be taking up the government's scheme. For a start, I wouldn't be comfortable giving them the free run of the house when i'm out at work. And if I didn't do it for Syrian or Afghan refugees, why now? So all things considered... no.

S

Saphire

This is such a dilemma for me.
My Father was from Ukraine, he would have been heartbroken at the current situation.
I would have to give serious consideration to allow anyone to live in my flat. I wonder how difficult it would be, to get the flat back again?
I sound heartless, I do not mean to come over like this. Please don't make me feel any more awful than I already do, about the situation.
You don't sound heartless at all, more truthful.

It's certainly not an easy decision to make. I know I wouldn't open my home up... and yes, I do have a spare room.
I am not in the position right now to care for anyone other than the people I am already caring for.

S

Saphire

I do have a spare room but I don't think i'll be taking up the government's scheme. For a start, I wouldn't be comfortable giving them the free run of the house when i'm out at work. And if I didn't do it for Syrian or Afghan refugees, why now? So all things considered... no.
Syrian fighters will now join Russian fighters against Ukraine.

"Fighters from Middle Eastern countries, including Syria, are preparing to join Russian forces in the war against Ukraine after President Vladamir Putin approved a plan to send 'volunteers' to the battlefield. Russia's Defense Minister Sergei Kuzhugetovich Shoigu had said that "most of the fighters who want and who asked to fight are citizens of Middle Eastern nations and Syrians", Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov informed.

According to an AP report, Shoigu said that about 16,000 fighters are waiting for Moscow's orders to join the battle in Luhansk People's Republic (LPR) and Donetsk People's Republic (DPR). Russia said the soldiers from the Middle East joining them also fought against the Islamist State in the Syrian war.

Notably, Russia has been supporting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in fighting against factions opposing his rule, including the Islamist State.

According to Shoigu, the 16,000 volunteers want “to take part in what they consider a liberation movement,” in the separatist regions in Ukraine - LPR and DPR. Before the invasion, Russia had declared LPR and DPR as independent countries. "

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Syrian fighters will now join Russian fighters against Ukraine.

"Fighters from Middle Eastern countries, including Syria, are preparing to join Russian forces in the war against Ukraine after President Vladamir Putin approved a plan to send 'volunteers' to the battlefield. Russia's Defense Minister Sergei Kuzhugetovich Shoigu had said that "most of the fighters who want and who asked to fight are citizens of Middle Eastern nations and Syrians", Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov informed.

According to an AP report, Shoigu said that about 16,000 fighters are waiting for Moscow's orders to join the battle in Luhansk People's Republic (LPR) and Donetsk People's Republic (DPR). Russia said the soldiers from the Middle East joining them also fought against the Islamist State in the Syrian war.

Notably, Russia has been supporting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in fighting against factions opposing his rule, including the Islamist State.

According to Shoigu, the 16,000 volunteers want “to take part in what they consider a liberation movement,” in the separatist regions in Ukraine - LPR and DPR. Before the invasion, Russia had declared LPR and DPR as independent countries. "

Have you seen that terrorist groups are now joining the Ukrainian side to fight the Russians, just as they did in Syria?

Lets be fair, the White Helmets will be moving in soon if they havent already.
Ukraine will go the way of Syria, where we fund organisations with ties to terrorism, like the white helmets.

We are arming and equiping the very same organisations we will have to deal with when Russia leaves.
It's laughable that Jihadi and neo-nazi factions will unite to fight Russia, oh wait, World War 2 anyone?

:)

S

Saphire

I listened to a phone in on Greater Manchester Radio.
I would say 90% of the callers said they would indeed open up their homes nd house a Ukrainian refugee whenever they were needed too.
The minimum 6 month period would not bother them.

Either people in Greater Manchester are very open hearted. or they haven't thought it through.

There are other ways to help. Donating money, clothes, personal items to help, is all needed.

S

Saphire

Everyone can say the words, especially when allowed to speak on a radio show. I wonder just how many would truly follow through with actions. Somehow I think far fewer than 90%.
I think I agree, though I'm sure many would like to.....I would like to, it's just not possible right now.
Like one said, people took our own kids in during the 2nd world war, we relied on them to offer protection till it was safe for them to go home again.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I’m sure many would ‘like’ to, but the reality is, I’m sure, wholly different. Leaving some stranger in your home while you go out to work or just shopping, would worry many I’m sure. Times have changed enormously since WW2, as has society in general, we are such a selfish breed now but we do like to virtue signal to make people believe we are thinking of others. That’s just the way it is now for many.
I reluctantly agree with this statement .Times have most definitely changed and not for the better .
it now takes over 20 years and lawd knows how much air polution of cars to carry the said children the 500 metres walk to school !. for a child to be "educated" compared to the 10 years of my times.

S

Saphire

The government will be offering £350pm to any household willing to take in a refugee from the Ukraine.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
The government will be offering £350pm to any household willing to take in a refugee from the Ukraine.
They are making this scheme sound very simple .I hope they have sorted out the language barrier with th NHS and GP`s too ? plus the Teachers for the Ukraine children to carry on with their education.
I have yet to see the result of this offer in practice . To my way of thinking it would be more sensible to temporary house the refugees in Poland or any of the bordering countries and just send the money ,food ,etc to Poland or wherever the refugees are settled .

S

Saphire

The scheme hasn't yet started, it wont be officially announced till tomorrow.
Some Ukrainians speak English, especially the younger ones and those from the bigger cities.
And many have existing family in the UK, a good enough reason to come here rather than anywhere else.

Nuttykritz

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I think personally UK have enough homeless and people needing help they cant cope with but so they look good in the media they bring more people we cant support in. Please dont mistake me i am sorry for the conflict and the war zone. But i think the government doesnt do enough for british people first. Im half brit and i stand on my own but there is a bigger picture. Sure everyone needs help but i think help should start at home. Our council is actively lookong for homes to house refugees and they get benefits but my British soon to be ex hubby cant get universal credit or any help with mental health cus the hospitals cant cope and there is a waiting list for emergency housing in a hotel. I mean really how is it fair. I would help but i do feel more money should be going into NHS and into housing for brits. The war hits here and our veterans get little to no fucking help after. Any way that s my say personally and i dont normally get political. I just think they want to look amazing on social media and on news outlets UK is taking in refugees from war zone its a tactic to make the government points.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Lets have a think about this FIRST. If the Government house the "Refugee's" it will cost them £200 a NIGHT.

That = £6000 a month.

Get the British people to house them and pay them £350 a month.

Yep...Seems about right.... for a Government hell bent on crippling it's OWN people.

Last year UKRAIN was in the news for very different reasons.

All of a sudden that's forgotten about.?!

You can't just brush things under the carpet and expect ( Some ) people to forget.

Everyone is out to help Ukraine....Bravo....Yeah....When WE HAVE THOUSANDS OF HOMELESS PEOPLE AND STARVING KIDS IN THIS COUNTRY.!!

I wish people would wake the fcuk up.

Last edited:
Back