Who Looks After The Kids?

Traditional Versus Modern "Relationships" - Which is better?

• One partner stays home, brings up the children, the other works

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Both partners work, have children, pay for childcare

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Neither partner works, have children, both stay at home

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I would not have children but I wanted to comment anyway

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Miss_Understanding

The chances are, I don’t care
Staff member
Reaction score
I`ll try to make it simple in future. Put it as simply as i can ( you can ask for a translation if it`s too difficult for you ) i think that it should be the parents responsibility to raise their children ,.not the State`s ! It is my opinion ( and only MY opinion ) that children shouldn`t need to start State school until, aged 7 and before then they should be taught by the parents if they can`t afford to pay for Private tuition. I read of cases where the teachers at 5 age .It`s all too easy in this country for " responsible " parents to shuffle their 1 year old off to Nursery before that are potty trained or can tie their own shoe laces. Also it`s known that some 5 year olds rush out of school at end of day to meet Mom and up her jumper to get some food !!
There is a lasting legacy for the children who have very little contact with their "real " parents unless it`s for the Annual holidays abroad ( no doubt with money which they have earned while having their children cared for free by others )
You’re just speaking generally in an ideal world but the world isn’t ideal and everyone does what they need to do to survive. I can’t debate with you because you’re ignorant so enjoy your day in your judgemental bubble of arrogant x

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I do the afternoon school run twice a week for my daughter, i pick a 4yr old from Nursery, which as he is 4, he is entitled to 30hrs a week Nursery time free of charge, all 3/4yr olds are entitled to that, its law!, i then go and pick his 6yr old brother up from School, i am there with quite a few other Grans and Grandads plus mums and dads too..i can honestly say i have never in the years i have been doing this, seen any child rush up to their mother and demand to be breastfed!, i think that is what you're implying when you mention food?...some people have to send their children to Nursery at a very young age, single parents have to go back to work.. the ones round here take babies from 6mths onwards. My daughter, the first time around, saved up during her Maternity leave for when she knew that her son would be going to to Nursery, the 2nd time, sadly she had an inheritance from her Dad, she used that to take extended Maternity leave. Everyone has a different circumstance.
Why do single parents "have " to go back to work ?. Is that a "law" too?.
No free nursery when our kids were young yet ,oddly enough ,they have grown up to be responsible ,well mannered and hard working .We are ordinary people ,not posh or wealthy but i can honestly say that when each of our started school at 5 they could read ( basic) ,write their own names plus; use feeding utensils, do their own shoe laces up ,knew the Alphabet. All this was achieved by my wife staying at home and teaching them !! not packing them off to some free nursery to learn how to "play" ! yet another stupid ideal.
I didn`t say that many children of 5 or 6 rush to get food from Mum when they come out of school but it certainly has happened and why?.
My simple mathmatics seem to add up to :- State doles out an amount of cash to help parents with each child they have. If what i see and what you see is the Grand parents taking and meeting the children from school( natural as it is ) the parents don`t pay them do they ? Hence extra cash for parents to use for more urgent things such as a new car or holidays abroad .
What i`m saying is that WE had to pay for and look after any children we had ,not the State or Grandma. Now we have had lockdown with many parents having to stay at home ,but they still take their children to nursery ! Basically they want to have the children but for someone else to look after.
You mention about your g.son is "entitled " to 30 hours a week free at Nursery. My neighbour`s child is just 1 and she gets the same ! FGS she`s still a baby ,don`t the parents want any contact with their offspring ?.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
You’re just speaking generally in an ideal world but the world isn’t ideal and everyone does what they need to do to survive. I can’t debate with you because you’re ignorant so enjoy your day in your judgemental bubble of arrogant x
Hahaaa ,i`m not as ignorant as some people who play on here are :).x

Btw ,the world wasn`t ideal either when i was young .Far from it but we survived and managed to raise you kids without all the freebies from the State which they can get today.

Last edited:

Whiskers

Miss Angelic ;)
Reaction score
Single parents have to work to just like any parent does ppl do have bills and to have nice things you have to work !!

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
You must be older then :)
Someone else has already answered this for you . Child allowance for each child didn`t start until the 1970`s.If you were born in the 1960`s and were the 1st child then no child allowance for you !.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Single parents have to work to just like any parent does ppl do have bills and to have nice things you have to work !!
So the single parent etc has to work to get nice things while their child(ren) are farmed out to a free nursery ? Sounds good to me ! I`m not that ancient that i don`t know that most single parents can get plenty of benefits without having to work and ,in fact, choose to work to get extras.

Y

yaris

Why do single parents "have " to go back to work ?. Is that a "law" too?.
No free nursery when our kids were young yet ,oddly enough ,they have grown up to be responsible ,well mannered and hard working .We are ordinary people ,not posh or wealthy but i can honestly say that when each of our started school at 5 they could read ( basic) ,write their own names plus; use feeding utensils, do their own shoe laces up ,knew the Alphabet. All this was achieved by my wife staying at home and teaching them !! not packing them off to some free nursery to learn how to "play" ! yet another stupid ideal.
I didn`t say that many children of 5 or 6 rush to get food from Mum when they come out of school but it certainly has happened and why?.
My simple mathmatics seem to add up to :- State doles out an amount of cash to help parents with each child they have. If what i see and what you see is the Grand parents taking and meeting the children from school( natural as it is ) the parents don`t pay them do they ? Hence extra cash for parents to use for more urgent things such as a new car or holidays abroad .
What i`m saying is that WE had to pay for and look after any children we had ,not the State or Grandma. Now we have had lockdown with many parents having to stay at home ,but they still take their children to nursery ! Basically they want to have the children but for someone else to look after.
You mention about your g.son is "entitled " to 30 hours a week free at Nursery. My neighbour`s child is just 1 and she gets the same ! FGS she`s still a baby ,don`t the parents want any contact with their offspring ?.
Your neighbour might be on certain benefits that entitles her to put her child into Nursery from that age, i might be wrong, if i am hopefully someone will put me right.

Whiskers

Miss Angelic ;)
Reaction score
So the single parent etc has to work to get nice things while their child(ren) are farmed out to a free nursery ? Sounds good to me ! I`m not that ancient that i don`t know that most single parents can get plenty of benefits without having to work and ,in fact, choose to work to get extras.

Why would anyone not want to work if they can ive neevt had free stuff ive always worked in btween having kids you're very deluded.

Miss_Understanding

Staff member
Reaction score
Your neighbour might be on certain benefits that entitles her to put her child into Nursery from that age, i might be wrong, if i am hopefully someone will put me right.
I’d like to put you right Yaris but I cannot read that absolute essay before 10 cups of tea x

Miss_Understanding

Staff member
Reaction score
You have to work when your child turns 3 or be actively looking for work, or you get no help from the government.

Attachments

• BDE3BD75-6F29-4059-B0DE-3DE1C215E6D9.png
    BDE3BD75-6F29-4059-B0DE-3DE1C215E6D9.png
    992.6 KB · Views: 2

Miss_Understanding

Staff member
Reaction score
Hells wrote the essay, mine was a mere sentence lol,,,enjoy your cuppa's! x
Lol I meant his, to see what it was all about :D
I think you only get the free childcare at 1 year old if you work. But I could be wrong. Hell is always right though :p

Whiskers

Miss Angelic ;)
Reaction score

So let me get this right you're saying that we shouldn't work and claim benefits lmao behave yaself !!

Miss_Understanding

Staff member
Reaction score
So let me get this right you're saying that we shouldn't work and claim benefits lmao behave yaself !!
I read his stuff more as... you should stay home and look after your children, but you shouldn’t claim any money either.
It’s an impossibility and that is why I cannot debate with him

Whiskers

Miss Angelic ;)
Reaction score
I read his stuff more as... you should stay home and look after your children, but you shouldn’t claim any money either.
It’s an impossibility and that is why I cannot debate with him

I just don't understand the way he talks its just gibberish

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Lol I meant his, to see what it was all about :D
I think you only get the free childcare at 1 year old if you work. But I could be wrong. Hell is always right though :p
They Do work !. Isn`t that the whole thrust of this thread ? "Who looks after the kids?" ffs ! My points are that the parent should look after the kids,not get paid to go to work and then get more for someone else to look after them .
And i`m the thick one ?.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Absolutely
Thanks for that set of current rules. I can have some fun finding out exactly what the State provides and how much and what for ? :).
My neighbours do work but of course haven`t worked for a year but still get paid. Even so they sent their 1 year old to Nursery for 3 days ( free) and to avoid paying for the last 2 days the grandparents had them.
I just wonder if these same Grandparents who help their children out by having their children will get help in return when they are too old to manage ?.
I wonder if anyone has noticed the poll count to date ?

Back