Who Looks After The Kids?

Traditional Versus Modern "Relationships" - Which is better?

• One partner stays home, brings up the children, the other works

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Both partners work, have children, pay for childcare

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Neither partner works, have children, both stay at home

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I would not have children but I wanted to comment anyway

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MillieW

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Personally, I always looked after my child until she could do it herself, but some mothers rush out to work after 2 weeks maternity leave. Some Dads stay at home, some mums do. I think someone should - I don't understand why people have children for others to look after them, but I do understand it's not always intended that way. To those who have a choice, why would you do it?

Miss_Understanding

The chances are, I don’t care
Staff member
Reaction score
Iv looked after mine since day 1. Iv had jobs but they have been ones to suit my life, hours and days I could work around.
In this country though, parents have to look for work after a child turns 5, even a single parent the rules still apply to.

yaris

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
i went back to work when my youngest was 9mths old and then it was at night, my Husband looked after them in the evenings, then thru the years as we moved around a lot, i got jobs in the Local Service schools, so that way no one outside of the family had to mind them. I do think that yes one of the parents should be there in their younger years but in todays society that's not always possible sadly.
I do childcare for my youngest daughter and her husband, i share that with the other Grandma, if they didn't have us to help out their childcare expense would be thru the roof. My daughter would love to be a stay at home mum and i know that she feels guilty at times that she isn't always there.

Miss_Understanding

Staff member
Reaction score
I stand corrected I googled it, it’s now 3 years of age that a mother has to look for work if they’re claiming certain benefits.
I think it’s unfair to make working parents feel guilty, when it’s a requirement

Miss_Understanding

Staff member
Reaction score
i went back to work when my youngest was 9mths old and then it was at night, my Husband looked after them in the evenings, then thru the years as we moved around a lot, i got jobs in the Local Service schools, so that way no one outside of the family had to mind them. I do think that yes one of the parents should be there in their younger years but in todays society that's not always possible sadly.
I do childcare for my youngest daughter and her husband, i share that with the other Grandma, if they didn't have us to help out their childcare expense would be thru the roof. My daughter would love to be a stay at home mum and i know that she feels guilty at times that she isn't always there.
Childcare costs are terrible. It’s hardly worth most parents working once they have paid for childcare. I hope your daughter doesn’t feel too bad, she’s doing what she has to ❤️

yaris

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Iv looked after mine since day 1. Iv had jobs but they have been ones to suit my life, hours and days I could work around.
In this country though, parents have to look for work after a child turns 5, even a single parent the rules still apply to.
I stand corrected I googled it, it’s now 3 years of age that a mother has to look for work if they’re claiming certain benefits.
I think it’s unfair to make working parents feel guilty, when it’s a requirement
I never knew that, i googled it after i read your comment. I am thankful that i had my children when i did, in a way life seemed a lot easier back then, sounds like the dark ages, eh! lol...you're doing a grand job, Jody :)

MillieW

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
. I agree, I'm not trying to make them feel guilty, I think the system is broken when people feel they have no choice, because of money.

A wage should allow people the luxury to choose, so if one person worked, the other stayed home comfortably.

My question didn't account for single parents, just couples.

When I was in the same position, the age was 12 before they looked at you pushing you into work.

Miss_Understanding

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it was age 7 when I started having kids. The government slowly but surely **** you over over the years eh? :D

Miss_Understanding

Staff member
Reaction score
. I agree, I'm not trying to make them feel guilty, I think the system is broken when people feel they have no choice, because of money.

A wage should allow people the luxury to choose, so if one person worked, the other stayed home comfortably.

My question didn't account for single parents, just couples.

When I was in the same position, the age was 12 before they looked at you pushing you into work.
For couples I guess the concept of having one parent working and one at home is ideal. It probably doesn’t always work out this way but the idea of it is nice x

Whiskers

Miss Angelic ;)
Reaction score
It was 5 with my youngest but obviously have to work to pay bills so I just got a little part time job but u feel guilty of leaving then luckily my mum has always had my kids wouldnt leave them with no one else

Miss_Understanding

Staff member
Reaction score
I can see why married women would also go back to work after maternity leave ends. Money, or maybe they don’t want to be a stay at home parent. It’s fine to have kids and leave them with a registered childcare provider in my opinion :)

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Mother looked after my kids until they were of school age. For me, there was no alternative. Nursery? seen the prices they charge! A childminder? no way. They may very well be DBS checked but is everyone else who comes and goes in that house been checked? So for me it was the ideal arrangement. When it becomes my turn to mind grandkids, I may not think it's the ideal arrangement. :)

MillieW

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Mother looked after my kids until they were of school age. For me, there was no alternative. Nursery? seen the prices they charge! A childminder? no way. They may very well be DBS checked but is everyone else who comes and goes in that house been checked? So for me it was the ideal arrangement. When it becomes my turn to mind grandkids, I may not think it's the ideal arrangement. :)

I'm proud that I didn't have to go outside the family and pleased that I didn't need to pay the horrendous prices. It's trust too - I would not have wanted to send my child to nursery with some wraparound service dropping them off and picking them up. I liked working, but not that much.

MillieW

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
It was 5 with my youngest but obviously have to work to pay bills so I just got a little part time job but u feel guilty of leaving then luckily my mum has always had my kids wouldnt leave them with no one else

The problem comes when you don't have a mum or sister to rely on. I think the system of paying you 70% of your childcare, so you can go to work, is crazy. You'll do a better job looking after your own child. The childcare bill must be horrendous. Why not just pay you a bit more in child benefit (now that it's capped at x amount of children) so you can afford to stay home?

What is a typical childcare bill for a full time worker - does anyone know?

funandflirty

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
The problem comes when you don't have a mum or sister to rely on. I think the system of paying you 70% of your childcare, so you can go to work, is crazy. You'll do a better job looking after your own child. The childcare bill must be horrendous. Why not just pay you a bit more in child benefit (now that it's capped at x amount of children) so you can afford to stay home?

What is a typical childcare bill for a full time worker - does anyone know?

Where I live, nursery’s charge between 90 and 140 per full day (7.15 to 6.15).

when my little one went (2 days a week) I paid £100 a day

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Personally, I always looked after my child until she could do it herself, but some mothers rush out to work after 2 weeks maternity leave. Some Dads stay at home, some mums do. I think someone should - I don't understand why people have children for others to look after them, but I do understand it's not always intended that way. To those who have a choice, why would you do it?
In the ancient days you had no choice. If you had children you looked after them ! Simple as that. Without the benefits of the Pill and other Contraception people had larger families and still managed to bring them up. I know that when we had our first child i had to work to provide for all three of us . Wife stayed at home and brought child up to school age ( which was 5 then ,not 3) Then another one came along and same thing happened but i had to work longer hours to provide for us . It`s not exactly Rocket science . If you were wealthy enough you could pay for Private Nursery if not you did it youself .Of course parents helped as we did with our g.children but they need a life too after raising a family.
It has to be said that today the majority of parents expect The State to pay for the kids which they needn`t have had anyway. They have been spoilt by the Nanny State imo.:).
Now waits for the torrent of rage :)

Miss_Understanding

Staff member
Reaction score
In the ancient days you had no choice. If you had children you looked after them ! Simple as that. Without the benefits of the Pill and other Contraception people had larger families and still managed to bring them up. I know that when we had our first child i had to work to provide for all three of us . Wife stayed at home and brought child up to school age ( which was 5 then ,not 3) Then another one came along and same thing happened but i had to work longer hours to provide for us . It`s not exactly Rocket science . If you were wealthy enough you could pay for Private Nursery if not you did it youself .Of course parents helped as we did with our g.children but they need a life too after raising a family.
It has to be said that today the majority of parents expect The State to pay for the kids which they needn`t have had anyway. They have been spoilt by the Nanny State imo.:).
Now waits for the torrent of rage :)
So these days do parents expect the state to pay them to bring a child up or do they palm their kids off at childcare providers do they can work? I’m not really seeing your view clearly just an ignorant comment with any excuse to slate parents. I much prefer Yaris older generation input if I’m honest

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
So these days do parents expect the state to pay them to bring a child up or do they palm their kids off at childcare providers do they can work? I’m not really seeing your view clearly just an ignorant comment with any excuse to slate parents. I much prefer Yaris older generation input if I’m honest
Not really ignorant,having 3 kids of our own. Does Yaris remember when we didn`t get any child allowance ?. Contraception today is free and there is simply no reason to have children if you can`t afford to look after them until School age ...if there is you tell me ?. I don`t slate parents for the sake of it ,they are from a generation who spoiled them so not their fault if they expect everything on a plate .
My own daughter went back to work within a few weeks of having her 2nd child and paid 75% of her wage to a childminder . Does hat make sense ?.

Whiskers

Miss Angelic ;)
Reaction score
Everyone got family allowance and still does .

yaris

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Not really ignorant,having 3 kids of our own. Does Yaris remember when we didn`t get any child allowance ?. Contraception today is free and there is simply no reason to have children if you can`t afford to look after them until School age ...if there is you tell me ?. I don`t slate parents for the sake of it ,they are from a generation who spoiled them so not their fault if they expect everything on a plate .
My own daughter went back to work within a few weeks of having her 2nd child and paid 75% of her wage to a childminder . Does hat make sense ?.
I got Child Allowance with all 3 of mine Hells.

Back