What are you reading?

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Wicked - Gregory Maguire
I only picked this up because I thought it was going to be similar to the musical 'Wicked', I was sadly disappointed. it may be a well-written, literary novel that can be appreciated by well-read, literary-type people. Unfortunately, I'm really not one of those...

JennyFleck

Inconsistently Consistent
Reaction score
The Other Black Girl by Zakiya Dalila Harris
A Change of Climate by Hilary Mantel
The Lessons by Naomi Alderman
Yellow Crocus by Laila Ibrahim
The Dead Fathers Club by Matt Haig
Summerwater by Sarah Moss

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I loved that novella 'Summerwater' mentioned above ^^^

Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka
Reading the introduction... a man wakes up and finds he's been turned into a giant insect. I just thought.. hmmmmmm! nah, I can't accept that premise, so put it back on the shelf. But apparently it's a very famous short story, so the chap at the charity shop informed me, and then talked me
into giving it a chance. Well, it's not like i got talked into buying a car I didn't want. Have to say, he was spot on. It's a fantastic read.

JennyFleck

Reaction score
Close Your Eyes by Rachel Abbott
Sorrow and Bliss by Meg Mason
The Vanishing by Britt Bennett
The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult
The Course of Love by Alain de Botton

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute
Once regarded as a classic of English Literature, now classed as racist because of the language used recording the attitudes of the time. You may have seen the movie version, but which only deals with the first half of the book. It was the second half that I found most interesting, how she made a new life for her and her man in the Australian outback. A great read.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The Call of the Wild/ White Fang - Jack London
Both are regarded as classics of American literature, and The Call of the Wild is the more famous of the two. But for me, White Fang held more interest.

JennyFleck

Reaction score
Night Music by JoJo Moyles
Luster by Raven Leilani
Scenes of a Graphic Nature by Caroline O'Donoghue
When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris
The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild
Animal by Lisa Taddeo
The Killing Floor by Lee Child

Last edited:

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I read 'The Improbability of Love' mentioned above ^^^ before this thread was created. From what I can remember of it, after a slow start it was an engaging read. And I'm sure it featured Russian Oligarchs, very topical in these difficult times. :)

JennyFleck

Reaction score
Yes! It's about a lost painting and the people who are looking for it. This book took me at least three attempts to finish as I kept losing the will, even though I was enjoying it ;-) glad I finished it tbf it was well worth it :)

Cashew

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
I have three books on the go at the moment; the new Rivers of London (9) - Amongst Our Weapons by Ben Aaronovitch, which is shaping up to be much better than the last one; My Rock 'n' Roll Friend by Tracey Thorn; Vera book 6 - Harbour Street by Ann Cleeves.

JennyFleck

Reaction score
The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert
The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng
Bewilderment by Richard Powers

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Topper - Thorne Smith
Many may not be aware of the character 'Topper', but if you type that name into the IMDB search box, it will bring up a whole string of movies, and TV series based on the character 'Topper'. Being a lover of old movies, I have seen a couple of them, so you can imagine my excitement what I saw the original novel in the charity shop. The book was first published in 1926, so I knew that the story would be very dated, but the humour hasn't aged well at all, Very disappointed. :(

JennyFleck

Reaction score
The Giant, O'Brien by Hilary Mantel
Beside Myself by Ann Morgan
A Grief Observed by C. S. Lewis

JennyFleck

Reaction score
Treasure Island by R. L. Stevenson
Sunset by Jessie Cave
The Last Family in England by Matt Haig

JennyFleck

Reaction score
The Garden of Lost and Found by Harriet Evans
Loitering with Intent by Muriel Spark

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Treasure Island I love this book mentioned above ^^^ I still retain a copy of it in my pride of place bookcase. Fun fact: this was the book that inspired H Rider Haggard to write King Solomon's Mines. When Haggard read Treasure Island, he boasted to a friend that he could write a better book, and went about it... The jury's out on whether he succeeded. I think he did, just...

By George, The autobiography of George Foreman
I'm not normally one for sporting biographies, but i'm very pleased I read this one, as it was an amazing read. How he went from street thug to world boxing champion. Quit boxing after undergoing a religious conversion whilst still in his 20s, only to regain the heavyweight title at the age of 45. Still preaching to his congregation, and is probably better known today for the George Foreman healthy eating grill.

JennyFleck

Reaction score
Animal by Sara Pascoe
Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel
The Swimming Pool Library by Alan Hollinghurst

Back