What are you reading?

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Bridge of Spies by Giles Whittell
I've been struggling with this book for a few weeks now. You may have seen the movie version starring Tom Hanks, well i'd stick to that if I were you because the book is heavy going. It's mostly about Gary Powers and his U-2 spy plane which was shot down over Russia...

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Tinder Nightmares presented by Unspirational
It was enough to put me off online dating for life, but a nice bedtime read. Also of interest about this reading experience was the bookmark the book's previous owner had left inside - a Lovehoney lingerie label for a lace chemise set. Clearly she was getting prepared for future Tinder dates :)

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Tinder Nightmares presented by Unspirational
It was enough to put me off online dating for life, but a nice bedtime read. Also of interest about this reading experience was the bookmark the book's previous owner had left inside - a Lovehoney lingerie label for a lace chemise set. Clearly she was getting prepared for future Tinder dates :)
How on earth could ANYONE trust online Dating?...Not for me...I'm way too wise for that.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
How on earth could ANYONE trust online Dating?...Not for me...I'm way too wise for that.
Don't knock it till you've tried it. ;) Now, in your wisdom I know what you will say - You don't have to put your hand in the fire to know that it will burn, or you don't have to go to the North Pole to know that it's cold. :) Over the years the internet has given me 5 romantic liaisons, even married one of them, and I don't regret any of them. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Arranging romance online - if it's not the present it's definitely the future! :cool:

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Don't knock it till you've tried it. ;) Now, in your wisdom I know what you will say - You don't have to put your hand in the fire to know that it will burn, or you don't have to go to the North Pole to know that it's cold. :) Over the years the internet has given me 5 romantic liaisons, even married one of them, and I don't regret any of them. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Arranging romance online - if it's not the present it's definitely the future! :cool:
Well there you go...5.... FIVE....FFS...! You keep notching those marks on your bed stead love. I'm way too refined to go through 1 or 2 lovers never mind 5 FIVE.! On-Line dating is NOT for Me.

JennyFleck

Inconsistently Consistent
Reaction score
Prime Suspect by Lynda La Plante

We Are all Completely Besides Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler

The Facts of Life by Patrick Gayle

The Alibi Girl by C. J Skuse

Case Study by Graeme Macrae Burnett

My Sweet Revenge by Jane Fallon

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Prime Suspect by Lynda La Plante

We Are all Completely Besides Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler

The Facts of Life by Patrick Gayle

The Alibi Girl by C. J Skuse

Case Study by Graeme Macrae Burnett

My Sweet Revenge by Jane Fallon

Your Bio.

:p

lol I dont do bio's, Case study is a great book about what we think we know.

;)

casiquaire

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Milk of Paradise by Lucy Inglis at the moment is taking centre stage, its about the history of opium, i cant be bothered to type the other 4 im reading lol

JennyFleck

Inconsistently Consistent
Reaction score
Your Bio.

:p

lol I dont do bio's, Case study is a great book about what we think we know.

;)
I LOVED it. I breaks all conventions and you never see any of it coming.... he is such a brilliant, unusual author :)

Cat100

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
As I am doing research loads of articles on Gender Bias, Legal implications of AI and Smart Cities, a wonderful book "The Limits of International Law" by Jack L. Goldsmith and Eric A Psner. and "No More War: How the West Violates International Law by Using Humanitarian Intervention to Advance Economic and Strategic Interestes" by Dan Kowalik

For fun I am reading Daisy Does it Herself by Gracie Player.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
As I am doing research loads of articles on Gender Bias, Legal implications of AI and Smart Cities, a wonderful book "The Limits of International Law" by Jack L. Goldsmith and Eric A Psner. and "No More War: How the West Violates International Law by Using Humanitarian Intervention to Advance Economic and Strategic Interestes" by Dan Kowalik

For fun I am reading Daisy Does it Herself by Gracie Player.

The 10 or 15 minute city is a wonderful idea, shame it wont work unless you go full technocracy and monitor everything.

As for the wests war crimes.. they are summed up easily without any protracted analysis by so called experts.
Every time "Foreign Aid" is sent to a country, the terms are dictated to allow access to either workforce or natural resources the corperations mop up.
The "intelligence" community has known that for decades.
It's how the CIA still functions as a private company. :D

I've said it before on this forum and will say it again.
Corperations fund the politicians, politicians form the foreign aid policies, foreign aid policies pay off the dictators in control, the corperations then make deals to support the regime.

Rinse and repeat.

If they get a dictator they dont like, then regime change or assasination.

Worked well in Ukraine for example.

Cat100

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Thank you on the mention of a a 15-minute city. Never read about it. Another topic to put in my research rabbit hole. Love that list. Where I live within the city technically you can walk anywhere within the city per se within 15 minutes if you know the layout and lets just say it has been around since about 590 ad. Even the new bits built up in the post war era are easy walk from one end to the other. Given that why do you think it can only be obtained via technology? Are you referring to modern city planning?

Regarding multinational companies and governments both go hand in hand. This is why politicians will never willingly give up their side hustle of being directors on companies. It is easy money in their pocket to just make sure certain bills never pass and others do. One major issue is the icsid.worldbank.org. This little known International law allows corporations to sue nation states if laws are passed that disrupt their business. the UK has been sued a number of times. I will need to find my paper outlining this and have a reread. It has been years since I have done any work on this legal based economic loophole that halts the protection of citizens of the country.

I also believe that most foreign aid is just that a slush fund and most of the money never makes it to the destination of helping the people. Oh I remember the Iran/Contra scandal.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The iliad - Homer
I'll tell you what I'm NOT reading ^^^^^^^^. Has anyone ever read this book? Chapman spent over a decade translating the poetry from the ancient Greek, and it feels like I've spent almost as long trying to get through the first few pages. This is one I must give up on and donate it back to the charity shop where it may get appreciated. As the saying goes - One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The iliad - Homer
I'll tell you what I'm NOT reading ^^^^^^^^. Has anyone ever read this book? Chapman spent over a decade translating the poetry from the ancient Greek, and it feels like I've spent almost as long trying to get through the first few pages. This is one I must give up on and donate it back to the charity shop where it may get appreciated. As the saying goes - One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Everything changes.

For some for the better for some for the worse.

It's life ;)

Back