What are you reading?

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I picked up 'Lend me your ears' in the charity shop today, written by our leader Boris! First published in 2003. It will be interesting to see what his political views were back then . . ...

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The Snow Leopard and the Goat: Politics and Conservation in the Western Himalayas (Culture, Place and Nature) by Shafqat Hussain

and

Other Minds: The Octopus and the Evolution of Intelligent Life by Peter Godfrey-Smith

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I picked up 'Lend me your ears' in the charity shop today, written by our leader Boris! First published in 2003. It will be interesting to see what his political views were back then . . ...
I've spent the last couple of days sunbathing in the garden reading this book. It was a tough read and i knew it was going to be so, because in the introduction alone there were a few words I didn't know the meaning of. . .. (clearly I wasn't educated at Eton). :rolleyes: But it wasn't all hard going, there was some humour, like when Tony Blair heard that Boris was in Serbia reporting on the NATO bombing, he ordered the bombing to be stepped up! I couldn't recommend this book to anyone, I certainly won't be keeping it, it's back to the charity shop for this one.

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
I've spent the last couple of days sunbathing in the garden reading this book. It was a tough read and i knew it was going to be so, because in the introduction alone there were a few words I didn't know the meaning of. . .. (clearly I wasn't educated at Eton). :rolleyes: But it wasn't all hard going, there was some humour, like when Tony Blair heard that Boris was in Serbia reporting on the NATO bombing, he ordered the bombing to be stepped up! I couldn't recommend this book to anyone, I certainly won't be keeping it, it's back to the charity shop for this one.
It's getting to a point of REAL desperation when you have to quote yourself in a Forum thread.
Nevertheless, I applaud your 'charitable' efforts.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
It's getting to a point of REAL desperation when you have to quote yourself in a Forum thread.
Nevertheless, I applaud your 'charitable' efforts.

'Quoting myself'? can you think of anyone else worth quoting? :) But on reflection, instead of quoting myself, I suppose I should have just edited the original comment #208 to give my thoughts on the book. I'll bear it in mind for any further contributions to this thread (the best one on the site). And thank you for the kind words re charity.

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
'Quoting myself'? can you think of anyone else worth quoting? :) But on reflection, instead of quoting myself, I suppose I should have just edited the original comment #208 to give my thoughts on the book. I'll bear it in mind for any further contributions to this thread (the best one on the site). And thank you for the kind words re charity.
Please do not encourage self-praise. As Carl Malcolm sang, "self-praise is no recommendation. I'm looking for creation".
As you can appreciate, it is not easy to refrain from giving sound advice.
;)

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
It may have taken a time but i find it hard to believe that a whole 11 pages (eleven!) of posts on this thread have been posted . I wouldn`t have thought that a topic on who reads what could gather so much forum space.
Put an interesting and topical subject up on a thread and it`s not easy to get even 1 or 2 posts !.lol. The only other way to grab readers attention seems to be to start a simple thread and accept that only the Site agitators will post a response :).

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
It may have taken a time but i find it hard to believe that a whole 11 pages (eleven!) of posts on this thread have been posted . I wouldn`t have thought that a topic on who reads what could gather so much forum space.
Put an interesting and topical subject up on a thread and it`s not easy to get even 1 or 2 posts !.lol. The only other way to grab readers attention seems to be to start a simple thread and accept that only the Site agitators will post a response :).
Stop thinking like that old boy....:) Iv'e posted many forum topics and only had one or two comment's on them...It's not the end of the day. :)

Lots of folks still read books you know..! Me included. Perhaps You should start reading Books too?..:)

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Stop thinking like that old boy....:) Iv'e posted many forum topics and only had one or two comment's on them...It's not the end of the day. :)

Lots of folks still read books you know..! Me included. Perhaps You should start reading Books too?..:)
I wish i had time !. I wouldn`t be reading books though ;i did that years ago. I`d be more actively doing odd jobs around the house /garden etc.
Plus ,when i used to read books we had no TV and definitely no Internet !. I spend about 2 to3 hours a day (all told) on the NET and 2 hours watching something on TV ,even the news . That`s 4/5 hours knocked out of my day leaving up to 12 hours a day to do normal stuff such as feed ,bath/wash; do the washing ;Tend to the Cat`s needs ;tend to my plants in garden ( about 1 to 2 hours); Help! i`m running out of time :)

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The Assault on Truth: Boris Johnson, Donald Trump and the Emergence of a New Moral Barbarism - Peter Oborne

Doom: The Politics of Catastrophe - Professor Niall Ferguson

Spoon Fed: Why Almost Everything We Have Been Told About Food Is Wrong - Professor Tim Spector

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I wish i had time !. I wouldn`t be reading books though ;i did that years ago. I`d be more actively doing odd jobs around the house /garden etc.
Plus ,when i used to read books we had no TV and definitely no Internet !. I spend about 2 to3 hours a day (all told) on the NET and 2 hours watching something on TV ,even the news . That`s 4/5 hours knocked out of my day leaving up to 12 hours a day to do normal stuff such as feed ,bath/wash; do the washing ;Tend to the Cat`s needs ;tend to my plants in garden ( about 1 to 2 hours); Help! i`m running out of time :)
I get you...;) I don't read as much as I used to...Reading takes up a lot of Brain power..! Your doing okay as you are...No need to worry about Time .)

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I've just finished 'The Maltese Falcon', which has been lying around waiting to be read for some time now, and I'm sorry i bothered. If you've seen the movie - you don't need to read the book. The film's script seems to have been lifted directly from the pages of the book. :rolleyes:
I`m sorry to disappoint but i don`t watch movies on TV really .I can`t tolerate more than about one hour of TV /PC or any visual need to concentrate for any longer. If i wanted to watch something which is more than one hour i record it and watch it in stages . Bit crap for movies eh ?. I have never really read any novel books ,only practical ones or historical or Nature . I try to live a life ( what`s left now ) rather than read it through another persons imagination .:)

C

CommonCarnage

I`m sorry to disappoint but i don`t watch movies on TV really .I can`t tolerate more than about one hour of TV /PC or any visual need to concentrate for any longer. If i wanted to watch something which is more than one hour i record it and watch it in stages . Bit crap for movies eh ?. I have never really read any novel books ,only practical ones or historical or Nature . I try to live a life ( what`s left now ) rather than read it through another persons imagination .:)
Yet here you are. Read a book give us all a break.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Yet here you are. Read a book give us all a break.
Sorry that you think Chatters is a book .It`s actually a Social Media ,which roughly translated means chatting to others about anything .I`ve never found a book which replied to my thoughts .
Ohhh btw , who are "us all"? kindly explain or are you the spokesperson for everyone reading the Forums ?.

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
The Idiot Brain. A neuroscientist explains what your head is really up to.

Dean Burnett.

Emotional Vampires. Dealing with people who drain you dry.

Albert J Bernstein PhD.

C

CommonCarnage

Sorry that you think Chatters is a book .It`s actually a Social Media ,which roughly translated means chatting to others about anything .I`ve never found a book which replied to my thoughts .
Ohhh btw , who are "us all"? kindly explain or are you the spokesperson for everyone reading the Forums ?.
Sorry that you didn't understand the topic in question (which is what are you reading ?) and decided to talk sh** here instead. And when I say do us all a favour yeah, I speak for everyone else on this particular topic, as they don't want to read your crap. They want to know about what others have been reading.

The subject is what are you reading?
It isn't what have you been reading and what utter sh** has hell2bwith76 got to say today, as far I know.
So give it a break.
Points for having the most accurate name on chat, how your poor wife must have suffered over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Sorry that you didn't understand the topic in question (which is what are you reading ?) and decided to talk sh** here instead. And when I say do us all a favour yeah, I speak for everyone else on this particular topic, as they don't want to read your crap. They want to know about what others have been reading.

The subject is what are you reading?
It isn't what have you been reading and what utter sh** has hell2bwith76 got to say today, as far I know.
So give it a break.
Points for having the most accurate name on chat, how your poor wife must have suffered over the years.
Sorry to disappoint you but my wife is very happy with her choice of man to marry. I`d take some beating to be the person who wrecks most threads on this Forum . You must have forgotten the name ? someone cl;ose to you i think as they talk dribble too and find a need to resort to "name calling " if they don`t have things all their way .
I was told by Mods that as this is a Public Forum then they can`t control what people write on here .

Your name is very apt also ...check out the meaning ;)

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I am fed up of reading this thread, that's for sure!
Thread now 'unwatched!
:rolleyes:
Did you get a lecture and some name calling from Common Carnage yet ? She /he thinks they own the rights to everyone`s thoughts on here and i`m sure they would have approved yours :)

C

CommonCarnage

Sorry to disappoint you but my wife is very happy with her choice of man to marry. I`d take some beating to be the person who wrecks most threads on this Forum . You must have forgotten the name ? someone cl;ose to you i think as they talk dribble too and find a need to resort to "name calling " if they don`t have things all their way .
I was told by Mods that as this is a Public Forum then they can`t control what people write on here .

Your name is very apt also ...check out the meaning ;)
I know the meaning of my name, it's a book, something that you don't read.
And here you go, accusing me of colluding with other chatters. I didn't think that would take long somehow! It is a public forum, you're right about that, and people tend to write any old sh** on them, something you're very adept at. That concludes our business for now, I find you rather tiresome and unnecessary. Goodbye.

Back