Childhood memories

Discussion in 'General' started by hell2bwith76, Feb 17, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Dardii

Dardii UKChat Familiar

I definitely remember those tights, wow that's a real blast from the past.
    In winter I had to wear them and navy knickers for gym. Knickers over tights were the done thing then, and besides, as a kid my tights always lost stretch and were forever falling down, so knicks on top were the way to go.

jenarator202 likes this.
  2. BasildonBond

BasildonBond UKChat Familiar

I used to love the Vickers VC10 aircraft in BOAC livery. One of my favourite ever Airfix models that I remember from my boyhood.

VC10.jpg

jenarator202 and LadyOnArooftop like this.
  3. BasildonBond

The only time I ever got a square meal as a child was at school. I used to devour graph paper in my Maths classes. I had to stop the practise eventually when I was hospitalised with ink poisoning.

jenarator202, Dardii and yaris like this.
  4. BasildonBond

I have always been a bit of a scatterbrain. I well remember as a boy somehow sprinkling salt instead of sugar on my breakfast weetabix. I'll never know quite how I managed that. As you can imagine, it wasn't a taste that caught on in the Crofts household. And yes, it left a bitter taste in my mouth.

jenarator202, yaris and Dardii like this.
  5. BasildonBond

It can hardly be surprising can it that with a nickname of "Radar" from the cult 1970s comedy M*A*S*H, you actually owned a chopper. After all, they have played a very big part in your life :D

yaris likes this.
  6. yaris

yaris UKChat Expert

In more ways than one! :p

BasildonBond likes this.
  7. BasildonBond

I don't know if this is urban myth but I have a story floating around in my head of a buxom woman who used to live in an upper floor flat adjacent to the M6, I think near Spaghetti Junction in Birmingham. Story has it that on a daily basis she used to stand in her window intentionally showing her wares to passing lorry drivers. I bet that caused many a pile-up as they rubber-necked from their cabs to catch the spectacle.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021 at 9:34 PM
    Dardii and hell2bwith76 like this.
  8. BasildonBond

oooooooooh...you ARE awful, but i like you!

Ooh you are awful.jpg

Dardii and yaris like this.
  9. BasildonBond

i guess, as you were in Reading, that must have been a Royal(s) Leathering huh?

yaris likes this.
  10. yaris

yaris UKChat Expert

You say the sweetest things! :) They should of re-runs of him.

11. yaris

yaris UKChat Expert

Very good Mr Bond! Moneypenny is well impressed! :D

BasildonBond likes this.
  12. MillieW

MillieW UKChat Initiate

This is so cute. I can imagine your sister happily riding down the road - possibly the inspiration for many of the silly hats we have these days. She was a trendsetter!!
    inspired.jpg

13. LadyOnArooftop

LadyOnArooftop UKChat Expert

A superb British built iconic aeroplane. For some reason, British airlines decided to buy Boeing, so its days were numbered.

BasildonBond and jenarator202 like this.
  14. Dardii

Dardii UKChat Familiar

15. Dardii

Dardii UKChat Familiar

16. jenarator202

jenarator202 UKChat Familiar

She was back then and beautiful inside and out now. I have a lot of fond memories of her as a child, like singing in the shower, singing at the top of voice in what she thought was an operatic voice lol. But I do remember back then as our estate was half built, when she rode past the building site part, the builders would wave to her and call her pippi longstocking!

megs233 and BasildonBond like this.
  17. jenarator202

Yes back in the sixties, my father flew a Boeing 707 and then when we came back to this country continued to do so for another country but no passengers only freight. I remember he flew the Formula 1 cars to Buenos Aires, my Mum has got a photo of him sitting in one and also had a cargo of elephants, live ones I hasten to add. In his later career flew the Boeing 747 but not for very long as it was discovered during a routine medical that pilots have to have, was that he had, sadly, leukaemia and had to retired.

18. Dong

Dong UKChat Familiar

I was staying with my Aunt in deepest Norfolk, many years ago now.
    I was free all day to roam the countryside, it was idyllic and I was then some 10 years of age.
    One morning there was some road kill on the lane, a recently run-over pheasant. It was dead but in good order, so I took it back to Aunties, thinking it might make a good supper, things being short in those days.
    When I gave it to her you could hear her shriek from there to Jericho.
    She wrapped it in paper and took it out and I believe she buried it. It seems that poaching was a very serious offence then and she was scared out of her wits that the local farmer might find out she was eating Pheasant: it could have been an eviction offence.
    It was like that then.
    Tomatoes on toast for supper, I recall, from her garden.

19. jenarator202

My Nana and Grandad had an old World War 1 barracks, it was stone built with two large room serving as a sitting room and a massive kitchen with an old copper in it. There were four bedrooms that you had to walk through to get to the next one and two outside W.C's. Out the back they had an orchard where they kept chickens and it still had the old concrete gun placements in the orchard. It was situated in farmland and along a dirt track which led to Cuffley in Hertfordshire, which back then was a village with an old village one roomed school, the shop which was also the post office. I remember that my Grandad was going blind, I believe glaucoma, tarring the old felt roof to the house. My Nana was an excellent cook and could make amazing meals on a very small budget, and the one thing I remember that stuck in mind was that she always had a small glass of cider on the go, which never seemed to empty, I thought the glass was magic and would fill up all by itself! She loved to give things names, like their old Daimler was called Tessie and the kettle was called Nellie. Many happy holidays were spent in their home. :) I had forgotten about that Dong, your story bought it back for which I thank you. :)

BasildonBond and Poco_Loco like this.
  20. Poco_Loco

Poco_Loco ✪ Moderator Staff Member

Childhood memories ,

Marathon_single.jpg.gallery.jpg