Childhood memories

D

Dardii

Do you remember those woolly tights that came in two colours, red or royal blue, I remember my sister, who had fine hair and my Mum would always keep it short. My sister desperately wanted long hair and used to put her red tights on her head and tie ribbon bows at the feet end and pretend that they were plaits :D I remember watching her ride her bike wearing the tights on her head and singing at the top of her voice! Think she was about seven at the time lol. Funnily enough, she does have long hair, doubt if she would ever have it cut, bless her. :)
I definitely remember those tights, wow that's a real blast from the past.
In winter I had to wear them and navy knickers for gym. Knickers over tights were the done thing then, and besides, as a kid my tights always lost stretch and were forever falling down, so knicks on top were the way to go.

BasildonBond

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Having been born into an ex-pat family and lived abroad most of my childhood, my father was a pilot working for the BOAC at the time, he used to bring back from his journeys fresh fruit, mostly tropical. And my favourite memory of this is eating Mango in the bath :D Saved my Mum a load of washing and once the mango was finished, squeaky clean kids!
I used to love the Vickers VC10 aircraft in BOAC livery. One of my favourite ever Airfix models that I remember from my boyhood.

VC10.jpg

BasildonBond

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else noticed what i have on this thread . I`m watching neighbours 2 chickens pecking away on the garden and had to smile at the fond memories of many posters on the thread . It`s also very noticeable in the chatrooms too. Just like the Chickens, food seems to have played a major roll in many posters early life , as it does in adult life too. Most kids when i was young had a piece of bread & jam or an apple to take out when they went to play. That was breakfast, tea & dinner !:). How life changes eh ?.
The only time I ever got a square meal as a child was at school. I used to devour graph paper in my Maths classes. I had to stop the practise eventually when I was hospitalised with ink poisoning.

BasildonBond

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I was one of the unlucky ones who didn`t get any food out :(. Had to wait for a jam sarny when i was home. Usually we had no butter but we had lard from the bacon or something which replaced butter then. Strange kid i was as i liked sugar on everything ! toast ,egg ,etc lol :)
I have always been a bit of a scatterbrain. I well remember as a boy somehow sprinkling salt instead of sugar on my breakfast weetabix. I'll never know quite how I managed that. As you can imagine, it wasn't a taste that caught on in the Crofts household. And yes, it left a bitter taste in my mouth.

BasildonBond

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I would often leave the house at about 8am, get on my bright orange chopper bike (i was the only girl in the street to have one), would ride for miles, usually to Sonning then on to Henley-on-Thames, returning back home just as it was getting dark, never took any food or drink with me.
It can hardly be surprising can it that with a nickname of "Radar" from the cult 1970s comedy M*A*S*H, you actually owned a chopper. After all, they have played a very big part in your life :D

yaris

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
It can hardly be surprising can it that with a nickname of "Radar" from the cult 1970s comedy M*A*S*H, you actually owned a chopper. After all, they have played a very big part in your life :D
In more ways than one! :p

BasildonBond

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
At least you had a video with real people in it ,not Rabbits ! "Sex " was a taboo word when i was young until i went to secondary school aged 12 and saw the young girls playing tennis on the courts next to the Maths Lesson window :D . Ohh btw it was a boys only school but not boarding Poco :D. At the beginning of the Spring/Summer term there wa s scramble to grab the desk nearest the windows which faced the Tennis Courts :);
I don't know if this is urban myth but I have a story floating around in my head of a buxom woman who used to live in an upper floor flat adjacent to the M6, I think near Spaghetti Junction in Birmingham. Story has it that on a daily basis she used to stand in her window intentionally showing her wares to passing lorry drivers. I bet that caused many a pile-up as they rubber-necked from their cabs to catch the spectacle.

Last edited:

MillieW

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Do you remember those woolly tights that came in two colours, red or royal blue, I remember my sister, who had fine hair and my Mum would always keep it short. My sister desperately wanted long hair and used to put her red tights on her head and tie ribbon bows at the feet end and pretend that they were plaits :D I remember watching her ride her bike wearing the tights on her head and singing at the top of her voice! Think she was about seven at the time lol. Funnily enough, she does have long hair, doubt if she would ever have it cut, bless her. :)

This is so cute. I can imagine your sister happily riding down the road - possibly the inspiration for many of the silly hats we have these days. She was a trendsetter!!
inspired.jpg

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I used to love the Vickers VC10 aircraft in BOAC livery. One of my favourite ever Airfix models that I remember from my boyhood.

View attachment 2777
A superb British built iconic aeroplane. For some reason, British airlines decided to buy Boeing, so its days were numbered.

jenarator202

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
This is so cute. I can imagine your sister happily riding down the road - possibly the inspiration for many of the silly hats we have these days. She was a trendsetter!!
View attachment 2779
She was back then and beautiful inside and out now. I have a lot of fond memories of her as a child, like singing in the shower, singing at the top of voice in what she thought was an operatic voice lol. But I do remember back then as our estate was half built, when she rode past the building site part, the builders would wave to her and call her pippi longstocking!

jenarator202

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
A superb British built iconic aeroplane. For some reason, British airlines decided to buy Boeing, so its days were numbered.
Yes back in the sixties, my father flew a Boeing 707 and then when we came back to this country continued to do so for another country but no passengers only freight. I remember he flew the Formula 1 cars to Buenos Aires, my Mum has got a photo of him sitting in one and also had a cargo of elephants, live ones I hasten to add. In his later career flew the Boeing 747 but not for very long as it was discovered during a routine medical that pilots have to have, was that he had, sadly, leukaemia and had to retired.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I was staying with my Aunt in deepest Norfolk, many years ago now.
I was free all day to roam the countryside, it was idyllic and I was then some 10 years of age.
One morning there was some road kill on the lane, a recently run-over pheasant. It was dead but in good order, so I took it back to Aunties, thinking it might make a good supper, things being short in those days.
When I gave it to her you could hear her shriek from there to Jericho.
She wrapped it in paper and took it out and I believe she buried it. It seems that poaching was a very serious offence then and she was scared out of her wits that the local farmer might find out she was eating Pheasant: it could have been an eviction offence.
It was like that then.
Tomatoes on toast for supper, I recall, from her garden.

jenarator202

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I was staying with my Aunt in deepest Norfolk, many years ago now.
I was free all day to roam the countryside, it was idyllic and I was then some 10 years of age.
One morning there was some road kill on the lane, a recently run-over pheasant. It was dead but in good order, so I took it back to Aunties, thinking it might make a good supper, things being short in those days.
When I gave it to her you could hear her shriek from there to Jericho.
She wrapped it in paper and took it out and I believe she buried it. It seems that poaching was a very serious offence then and she was scared out of her wits that the local farmer might find out she was eating Pheasant: it could have been an eviction offence.
It was like that then.
Tomatoes on toast for supper, I recall, from her garden.
My Nana and Grandad had an old World War 1 barracks, it was stone built with two large room serving as a sitting room and a massive kitchen with an old copper in it. There were four bedrooms that you had to walk through to get to the next one and two outside W.C's. Out the back they had an orchard where they kept chickens and it still had the old concrete gun placements in the orchard. It was situated in farmland and along a dirt track which led to Cuffley in Hertfordshire, which back then was a village with an old village one roomed school, the shop which was also the post office. I remember that my Grandad was going blind, I believe glaucoma, tarring the old felt roof to the house. My Nana was an excellent cook and could make amazing meals on a very small budget, and the one thing I remember that stuck in mind was that she always had a small glass of cider on the go, which never seemed to empty, I thought the glass was magic and would fill up all by itself! She loved to give things names, like their old Daimler was called Tessie and the kettle was called Nellie. Many happy holidays were spent in their home. :) I had forgotten about that Dong, your story bought it back for which I thank you. :)

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
Childhood memories ,

Marathon_single.jpg.gallery.jpg

Back