British Birds

Are house sparrows on a decline in numbers, because gardens are lacking food supply's ?

• Yes, there should be more garden feeders.

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • No, its because of other reasons.

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters
W

Wren

Did anyone see that video of the moron using a chainsaw to chop down a platform the ospreys were nesting on? Due to their extreme low numbers they are protected birds of pray, what kind of mentality does something like that? :(
I didn't see this but I'm sure that personal will be shatt on later in life

W

Wren

Did anyone see that video of the moron using a chainsaw to chop down a platform the ospreys were nesting on? Due to their extreme low numbers they are protected birds of pray, what kind of mentality does something like that? :(
Laws say just leave them alone
I too read this wk a person's post when she was trolled to bits for asking suggestions that "encourage" birds to abandoned nest and chicks

Later she said I know it's against the law. But the damage to bird loves was done
her post to shreds not the type u eat

W

Wren

What's been tweeting?

Any new arrivals to the garden that delight the ears then the eyes?

Exciting as summer feels it's still important to not cut hedges down yet.
I attended a garden where a full hedge row had been flatlined...shocked ....totally upsetting that nests were removed and eggs were called "snails".. adults...worse than children.
At the most a child will hand feel to get a nest. Adults ah shock it... Sod the birds the bush is too high. !#*twat!

Polite reminder please don't flat line bushes till after August.

W

Wren

It's against the law to remove nest and eggs. It's also against the law or cut trees down with nests in ....or garden hedges untill after season. month of August.
Thank you

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Couldn't see him but the blackbird singing in our garden is so beautiful to listen to in the cool of the evening.

TheBabayaga

Life is but a Dream within a dream
Reaction score
What's the best bird you have seen so far this year?
I've looked everywhere for a bird forum and didn't find much,

Have you seen any rare birds?

What birds visit your garden/home?

Yeah I am hoping to spark some conversation about our beautiful birds and what you have seen.

Thanks, in advance for you view.

Wren.
Saw this flock of birds other day. theres even a blackbird in the distance, you can just make it out..wow

Attachments

• IMG_20210710_162719_2.jpg
    IMG_20210710_162719_2.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 3

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I don`t know if i`ve responded on this thread yet but we have taken all of our bird feeders down since our happy young neighbour has gotten 2 Chickens in his garden !. Chickens always attract Rats and we soon saw one in the garden. Apart from the food they get from Chickens they also like snacks which they can get by picking the seed etc which is dropped by birds on the feeders. All this because our selfish neighbour wants 2 eggs a day ! I`d buy him some ,free range etc ,if he asked !. Now i`ve had to get in a Vermin control friend ( also a neighbour !) to kill any Rats which get into our garden. We now only get sparrows in the garden and smaller birds ,which is ok.
We had a pair of Blutits nest in our nest box earlier this Year. The worked frantically to build the nest and then they were feeding young for weeks .The box is about 3 /4 metres from the Patio window so i can sit and watch them which i enjoy. Unforunately i was watching when 1 Bluetit was going to get food and ,right in front of me ,a large bird swooped and Bluetit was gone :(. A Sparrow hawk needs food too i guess. At least the sole parent was left alone and managed to carry on feeding the young until they had flown the nest.

HarvestMouse

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
We are surrounded by seagulls (nearest coast is about ten miles away), I am sure they are great in their natural habitat but they are grim in a residential area, I have 3 cats but even my massive tom wouldn’t be able to take on one of those. Seagull sh** all over my windows, car, they walk around town, raiding bins looking for a fix of kfc or McDonalds, they are also the noisiest bastards ever.

ladymuck

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
They die I think, because houses and gardens don't supply the needs to support their healthy living. ppl forget to encourage their children to feed tables and old ways are forgotten
And walls everywhere nowhere to nest and nowhere to eat.

I do see tree sparrows. but only in one area that I drive to.

Really sad to see the decline in house sparrows.
Your more likely to catch a blimps of the dunnock on the garden, or like me today a black bird.

:)
This is the problem where I live. The old houses had space in the roofs for starlings. Now they have been demolished and new houses built in their place and the starlings have disappeared. I have noticed that magpies are on the increase. They are responsible for a lot of the deaths of baby birds. There is a small copse of trees near me and I often find the bodies of baby birds in my garden. Could it be that roof spaces were safer for small birds as magpies are too large to get through the gaps?

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Some birds are adapting. Next door has solar panels on the roof and I often see birds carrying little twigs in their beaks flying onto the roof and getting under the panels, can only be nesting...

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Saw this flock of birds other day. theres even a blackbird in the distance, you can just make it out..wow
I haven't seen a Swift, or a swallow yet this year.
where are they all?
Covid. Climate change.???

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
We are surrounded by seagulls (nearest coast is about ten miles away), I am sure they are great in their natural habitat but they are grim in a residential area, I have 3 cats but even my massive tom wouldn’t be able to take on one of those. Seagull sh** all over my windows, car, they walk around town, raiding bins looking for a fix of kfc or McDonalds, they are also the noisiest bastards ever.
You will never see a Seagull
I
nn an inland fenced smallish garden

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
There are pigeons (not wood pigeons) nesting in a tree on the other side of my fence. Pigeons? nesting in a tree? I never knew they did that. There are one or two young in the nest, it's hard to tell with it being so high up. We are overrun with squirrels around here, how did those eggs survive, how can pigeons defend a nest from predators? :confused:

TheBabayaga

Life is but a Dream within a dream
Reaction score
There are pigeons (not wood pigeons) nesting in a tree on the other side of my fence. Pigeons? nesting in a tree? I never knew they did that. There are one or two young in the nest, it's hard to tell with it being so high up. We are overrun with squirrels around here, how did those eggs survive, how can pigeons defend a nest from predators? :confused:
They all use whatsapp and of course Twitter nowadays, warn one another of incoming iminent danger thats how

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
They can`t ,simple answer.

Back