Absolutely useless GP's.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Most GP surgeries are using "Assistant" medical personel.
They have degrees in biology as expected, but dont have to do the full qualifications to be registered as "Doctors" with a GP license.

I wonder where all the GP's have gone.
I mean 2 years ago, we had the ability to get an appointment, usually within a week.
So where are they all?

Have they resigned?
Retired?
Moved away?
Closed thier surgeries?

I'm a bit baffled, have to look into it a bit.

ladymuck

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
There is a shortage of doctors, so we are supplementing with foreign doctors who are often not fully qualified. I know of at least one person who has died because of misdiagnosis.
The health service is a vital part of our society and needs far more money invested in it. For one thing, all medical students should not have to pay a single penny towards their training. The NHS was intended to provide medical treatment for those on low incomes. We need to get back to that. Anyone who needs treatment for something which is not a health problem, should pay for it.
I think everyone in this country is demoralised at the moment. Our government has had to deal with crisis after crisis, and has not stuck to the promises it made.

S

Saphire

There is definitely a shortage of NHS medical staff.
Possibly far more admin/management staff than needed, though.

Three receptionists in a surgery empty of patients, where no Dr is available, and patients are told to do their own requests online, sort of proves the point.

In hospital, one night there were only 2 nurses on duty, they had to care for patients in three wards....and a brilliant job they did too.

L

LiveWales

the NHS has gone downhill a lot the waiting list here is massive more than England last i heard, something has to be done, but what, Cancer patients are not being seen quick enough, that is shocking in itself.

S

Saphire

the NHS has gone downhill a lot the waiting list here is massive more than England last i heard, something has to be done, but what, Cancer patients are not being seen quick enough, that is shocking in itself.
It is shocking.
The pandemic is blamed for a lot of the delay for cancer treatments and other serious illness, but I think the pandemic has been used as a cover up in many cases.

If it takes weeks to actually see a GP, as it does in my area, referrals to hospitals are also put behind for weeks.

L

LiveWales

And some hospitals here have stopped seeing patients face to face

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
In hospital, one night there were only 2 nurses on duty,
I trump your two nurses... :cool: One night at a South Tyneside hospital (there's only one but I won't name it :)). There was one, yes one! nurse on duty to look after two wards. The doors to the wards were wedged open to facilitate attending to the patients. :rolleyes: You couldn't make it up...

S

Saphire

I trump your two nurses... :cool: One night at a South Tyneside hospital (there's only one but I won't name it :)). There was one, yes one! nurse on duty to look after two wards. The doors to the wards were wedged open to facilitate attending to the patients. :rolleyes: You couldn't make it up...
It's disgusting.
I was in hospital 8 years ago, and again a couple of weeks ago.
The nurses were complaining years ago about how short-staffed they were, and how agency nurses had to cover, especially at night time.
Now, they are even more short staffed and they don't even get any agency cover.:(

S

Saphire

Well other countries dont have the NHS, so it,'s hard to compare.

I heard on the BBC today, that people who are waiting for some ops, who cant be seen in their own area, are now being offered treatment in other parts of the country if hospitals there have availability.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Family members and friends will have all different experiences when dealing with the NHS, good and bad. I do think it's important to identify the bad so that the overall service can be improved for patients. So i think you can admire and respect the work that is done, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't call out or report something that you think is wrong either. We're talking misdiagnosing of patients, a lack of cleanliness in the hospitals by not helping patients to clean themselves who need it, letting dangerous individuals stay on a ward endangering the other patients, stalling appointments and even cancelling life saving treatment for the terminally ill.

Having said all of that, i do think having the NHS is an overall good thing, despite my own criticism of it. I think we're better for having it than we are without. I'd like to see changes to it to make it a better overall service for everyone who needs to use it.

S

Saphire

Or...I told my Dr it really hurt when I raised my arm in the air...'Well stop doing it then', was his advice.

No more, I promise.:D

L

LiveWales

Doctor, doctor! They are saying in the waiting room that you've become a vampire...,,,,,,,,,,Necks please!
see what you lot have made me do lol

S

Saphire

Poor woman.
How could a Dr still think he was capable of operating on patients at 81 years old?

''A doctor who killed a mother-of-three after botching a procedure during a routine hospital appointment to take samples has been jailed for three years.

Dr Isyaka Mamman, 85, had already been suspended for lying about his age and colleagues thought he should be retired after botching similar procedures before the fatal incident.

The Nigerian-born medic, aged 81 at the time, carried out the "highly dangerous" procedure using the wrong needle and inserted it in the wrong place, piercing the heart sac of Shahida Parveen, who had gone to the Royal Oldham Hospital to give a bone marrow sample.

The 48-year-old and her husband had asked Mamman to abort the treatment but he persisted, and she died later the same day, September 3 2018."

PennyDreadful2

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I am really sorry, but the following post is a bit of an essay, and a depressing one at that.
My partner and I have a friend that we have known for decades, infact he and my partner were childhood friends. The last member of his family died in 2007, my partner and I are the nearest thing he has to relatives. He is no angel, he has made lifestyle choices that have not helped him at all. He was a heavy drinker and smoker, he has many health problems including epilepsy.
The problems he has had with his Doctor's surgery go way beyond the Covid pandemic. He injured his back when he fell on his floor in 2016, whether it was because of a fit, of he was just plain drunk, I do not know. He contacted his surgery, and received very little care, just a basic examination. He was left to his own devices, with a very obvious back injury. This was the beginning of his decline, he became less mobile and developed lymphedema. Smoking like a chimney did not help the condition. The only useful thing his surgery did, was appoint district nurses to attend to his legs, and they did improve.
In the last 5 years, he has been in and out of hospital, not on any Doctor at his surgery's recomendation, but through our own intervention. Up until last year, he was repeatedly admitted to hospital, but no one ever came up with a diagnosis, although he was obviously quite ill.
After another lengthly stay in hospital last year, he needed help from his surgery, I can't quite remember whar for. His Doctor cancelled the appointment, because he had allegedly caught Covid and was self isolating. We made another appointment, and I accompanied the friend to the surgery which had previously moved to another area, which further added to our friends decline, because he could not easily get to the surgery anymore.
Our friend who was obviously unwell, finally had a consultation with the Doctor. He gave him a flu jab, and precious little else. Our friend was hospitalised again in September, with problems passing urine, he was in agony. He was released again and fitted with a catheter. Yet he still wasn't diagnosed properly. He had a devil of a job trying to get help from his surgery to refit his catheter, when it would not function properly. By this time, it was obviously that he needed a lot of care, but none was put in place.
I could go on, because there is more, but by now you all must be hoping I'll stop writing. The thing is, our friend can be the most self absorbed, exasperating person on the planet. He is partly to blame for his condition, because he neglected himself at home. But he is still a human being who didn't deserve the neglect he suffered, at the hands of his own Doctor's surgery who basically washed their hands of him.

Last edited:
Back