Childhood memories

jenarator202

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Having been born into an ex-pat family and lived abroad most of my childhood, my father was a pilot working for the BOAC at the time, he used to bring back from his journeys fresh fruit, mostly tropical. And my favourite memory of this is eating Mango in the bath :D Saved my Mum a load of washing and once the mango was finished, squeaky clean kids!

D

Dardii

Having been born into an ex-pat family and lived abroad most of my childhood, my father was a pilot working for the BOAC at the time, he used to bring back from his journeys fresh fruit, mostly tropical. And my favourite memory of this is eating Mango in the bath :D Saved my Mum a load of washing and once the mango was finished, squeaky clean kids!

That is such a geat idea. Wow. That's one clever Mum. :D

yaris

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Mum used to cook a meal called the 'favourite'.. Yukk. Everyone loved it except me. Macaroni, cheese, mince, tomatoes, condensed milk and onion.. Even the thought of it now makes my stomach heave. I used to feed it to the dog under the table.
I hated beef olives as a kid too, and anything with onions in it. Mum said I was a nightmare.. Oh almost forgot.. Cubed bits of pork.. Puke!

When I was 5 I choked on a bit of bacon fat, I was so afraid at the time, not breathing.. Mum thumped my back so hard that I was propelled forward with such force that my feet left the floor... Bacon flew out, and I was saved.

Still to this day I cut the fat off the bacon, or I burn it so badly that it looks like it's been chernobylized.
I make a mean Macaroni Cheese! lol

D

Dardii

I make a mean Macaroni Cheese! lol

How many Cheeses do you use in yours? I put a drop of mustard in any cheese sauce I make (not that I can eat much dairy these days, fekin menopause), and normal Mac & Cheese is great. It's all the rest that's gross.

MillieW

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I remember my fourth birthday. Sent off upstairs to for what my mum called the "filmstar wash" (just a quick pat of my face cheeks), I was in such a hurry to return to wait for friends, I was downstairs in a flash.
Friends arrived, we had jelly in plastic boats with little flags, mum's home made trifle, minus the sponge fingers, as I always stole them before she'd finished, and went out to the garden to play.

An hour later, I returned to mum's shrieks and the kitchen ceiling in a huge bulging balloon, ready to pop.

I had left the tap running.

Dad popped the bubble, and the heavens opened. Mum never insisted I wash again, but fortunately I developed better habits.

I don't recall punishment, but the horrible yellowing stain and the hole in the ceiling glared at me for what felt like years after.

Many a mishap in that kitchen was to follow, including the day I played "house", pretended the pedal bin was a toilet, "flushed" , by pulling the "chain" which turned into a very heavy iron landing on my head. I still have the scar.....

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else noticed what i have on this thread . I`m watching neighbours 2 chickens pecking away on the garden and had to smile at the fond memories of many posters on the thread . It`s also very noticeable in the chatrooms too. Just like the Chickens, food seems to have played a major roll in many posters early life , as it does in adult life too. Most kids when i was young had a piece of bread & jam or an apple to take out when they went to play. That was breakfast, tea & dinner !:). How life changes eh ?.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else noticed what i have on this thread . I`m watching neighbours 2 chickens pecking away on the garden and had to smile at the fond memories of many posters on the thread . It`s also very noticeable in the chatrooms too. Just like the Chickens, food seems to have played a major roll in many posters early life , as it does in adult life too. Most kids when i was young had a piece of bread & jam or an apple to take out when they went to play. That was breakfast, tea & dinner !:). How life changes eh ?.

3thing wow we was sent out after breakie with jam sandwich , bottle of water and books to take back to library , go park after be home by 3 pm.

D

Dardii

3thing wow we was sent out after breakie with jam sandwich , bottle of water and books to take back to library , go park after be home by 3 pm.
We were often sent out too, and told to be by the time the lights came on. :rolleyes:

yaris

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
How many Cheeses do you use in yours? I put a drop of mustard in any cheese sauce I make (not that I can eat much dairy these days, fekin menopause), and normal Mac & Cheese is great. It's all the rest that's gross.
I just use a strong cheddar, but when it's cooked i add crushed up cheese and onion crisps mixed with grated cheese and pop under the grill till its bubbling, it adds some crunch! lol

yaris

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I would often leave the house at about 8am, get on my bright orange chopper bike (i was the only girl in the street to have one), would ride for miles, usually to Sonning then on to Henley-on-Thames, returning back home just as it was getting dark, never took any food or drink with me.

D

Dardii

I would often leave the house at about 8am, get on my bright orange chopper bike (i was the only girl in the street to have one), would ride for miles, usually to Sonning then on to Henley-on-Thames, returning back home just as it was getting dark, never took any food or drink with me.
Oh my days, Chopper Bikes, that really does stir up old memories. ;)

D

Dardii

I remember how cool I used to think I was as a kid with my roller skates. Those metal ones with the red straps that you had to fit onto whatever footwear you had on. They adjusted underneath by undoing a butterfly nut.

Oh yeah I was cool..

Skates on, white socks up to my knees, long unkempt hair, wearing home made skirts and frocks, usually topped off with a fur hooded over coat of weird patterns.. No dress sense what so ever, and definitely not a follower of fashion.

When the upgrade came, many years later, I again thought I was cool with my yellow and blue roller boots. Dressed in a pair of Odd Ball Strechies, bright yellow jumper (sure my Nanna knitted it), topped off with feelie boppers on my head.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

Sonning was my parents dating place . mother was a inner city girl [ brum] my dad from Reading . oh she loved it there when he came and took her there.

Orange choppers my youngest two siblings had them I had a purple 26'' wheel bike.

yaris

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Sonning was my parents dating place . mother was a inner city girl [ brum] my dad from Reading . oh she loved it there when he came and took her there.

Orange choppers my youngest two siblings had them I had a purple 26'' wheel bike.
What a small world, megs!...i lived in Earley, my dad was a Reading boy.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score

Aged about 10 i didn`t have a bike but i would sometimes borrow my brother`s paper round bike and scoot it up and down the road do get familiar !. Then i sat on the seat while he pushed me until i was good enough to balance and stop the bike without falling over :D

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I was one of the unlucky ones who didn`t get any food out :(. Had to wait for a jam sarny when i was home. Usually we had no butter but we had lard from the bacon or something which replaced butter then. Strange kid i was as i liked sugar on everything ! toast ,egg ,etc lol :)

MillieW

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I remember how cool I used to think I was as a kid with my roller skates. Those metal ones with the red straps that you had to fit onto whatever footwear you had on. They adjusted underneath by undoing a butterfly nut.

Oh yeah I was cool..

Skates on, white socks up to my knees, long unkempt hair, wearing home made skirts and frocks, usually topped off with a fur hooded over coat of weird patterns.. No dress sense what so ever, and definitely not a follower of fashion.

When the upgrade came, many years later, I again thought I was cool with my yellow and blue roller boots. Dressed in a pair of Odd Ball Strechies, bright yellow jumper (sure my Nanna knitted it), topped off with feelie boppers on my head.

Are you my twin?

I can't claim the Deeley boppers (that's what we called them) and my mum knitted the jumpers, but the yellow and blue roller boots. The exact same! My skating life, like yours, starting with those horrible strap on wing nut mechanical failures, and finished when I felt too old to be skating up and down the bus aisle trying to get in a seat before I died on route to nans - skating home all the way downhill was okay, but had to get the bus up.

Home made skirts with an embroidered duck on the pocket, or a dress with absolutely no shape, other than some elastic shirring on the yoke - and I'm sure I was the only kid in the street with a mother who could sew and knit. One time, all the girls had the same knitted jacket in the street, as mum had got a bargain on some red wool....

D

Dardii

Are you my twin?

I can't claim the Deeley boppers (that's what we called them) and my mum knitted the jumpers, but the yellow and blue roller boots. The exact same! My skating life, like yours, starting with those horrible strap on wing nut mechanical failures, and finished when I felt too old to be skating up and down the bus aisle trying to get in a seat before I died on route to nans - skating home all the way downhill was okay, but had to get the bus up.

Home made skirts with an embroidered duck on the pocket, or a dress with absolutely no shape, other than some elastic shirring on the yoke - and I'm sure I was the only kid in the street with a mother who could sew and knit. One time, all the girls had the same knitted jacket in the street, as mum had got a bargain on some red wool....

Oh my days, what a coincidence!! I'm glad it wasn't just me..!
My Mum was also a really good knitter too, and her crochet was fab..! I've still got lots of her knitting patterns in the loft.
Funny thing now is, I knit & crochet, and sew too.

jenarator202

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Do you remember those woolly tights that came in two colours, red or royal blue, I remember my sister, who had fine hair and my Mum would always keep it short. My sister desperately wanted long hair and used to put her red tights on her head and tie ribbon bows at the feet end and pretend that they were plaits :D I remember watching her ride her bike wearing the tights on her head and singing at the top of her voice! Think she was about seven at the time lol. Funnily enough, she does have long hair, doubt if she would ever have it cut, bless her. :)

jenarator202

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
We always had jam sandwiches as well for tea which for us kids was the last meal of the day and if we were lucky Mum would make us Jelly or what she called Fluffy Pudding, which I believe was made out of evaporated milk and jelly. This would be given to us at four o'clock and at 6 o'clock we would be given a couple of rich tea and a small mug of hot chocolate, then bath and then bed at 7.30pm. You brought back memories, cannot remember what we used to have for lunch, but living abroad that was a main meal of the day but pudding or fruit was saved for teatime. :)

Back