British Birds

Are house sparrows on a decline in numbers, because gardens are lacking food supply's ?

• Yes, there should be more garden feeders.

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • No, its because of other reasons.

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
As well as all the usual birds, we have…...parrots.
Great bullies that command the bird table.
Sight to see!

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer Italian, French, Spanish and Greek birds to British ones.
Not to mention that they look more attractive in warmer climes too.
;)

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer Italian, French, Spanish and Greek birds to British ones.
Not to mention that they look more attractive in warmer climes too.
;)
And you don't have to talk to them, unless you are bi-lingual! ;)

W

Wren

Delight :D this week I've had an Eurasian Dove visit the bird table

Also had a flash visit of starlings

Lovely

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Recently a Sparrow hawk swooped over my fence at the bottom of my garden.
I don't know who was the more startled when it saw me.
You should have seen the swerve!

B

Bad_Influence

[QUOTE="Wren, post: 17497, member: 14195"
What birds visit your garden/home?

The lack of human mobilisation in recent times has given way to an increased breeding of most bird species.
Regrettably, this has particularly included more of the species which are considered pests.
I refer to pigeons, magpies and crows mainly. Their numbers have multiplied considerably.
The consequence of this is that they are now 'polluting' the skies with both noxious sounds and excreta.
If any creatures should be culled then I unhesitatingly suggest it is these abhorrent 'airborne vermin'!
[/QUOTE]

You just get more pretentious every day WP. Nobody is buying it fella, just give up and save what residue of self respect you have.

W

Wren

[QUOTE="Wren, post: 17497, member: 14195"
What birds visit your garden/home?

The lack of human mobilisation in recent times has given way to an increased breeding of most bird species.
Regrettably, this has particularly included more of the species which are considered pests.
I refer to pigeons, magpies and crows mainly. Their numbers have multiplied considerably.
The consequence of this is that they are now 'polluting' the skies with both noxious sounds and excreta.
If any creatures should be culled then I unhesitatingly suggest it is these abhorrent 'airborne vermin'!
[/QUOTE]
Thats a bit harsh! :O all birds welcome
Also magpies are very beautiful in colour when the shine catches the feathers.
Pigeon's are funny to watch and I had two twins born and now feeding together, watching each others back... I think wicked: I used a small rubber from the top of my bird pencil to erase this idea of ...:eek: shocking

Thank you

W

Wren

You just get more pretentious every day WP. Nobody is buying it fella, just give up and save what residue of self respect you have.[/QUOTE]
Self Respect: Highlights this word with florescent green (bird) pen
Thank you :)

W

Wren

Wte2QaH43taLJPPc6

Just testing to see if at last I figured out how to post a image. Wow ,talk about lacking flap it's quite difficult

That's a no then .. any ideas?

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
You just get more pretentious every day WP. Nobody is buying it fella, just give up and save what residue of self respect you have.

Read my Profile status: it describes you to a 't'. All the P's.
Try to think independently of others. It might, just might, gain you more respect.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Yesterday evening we had a chaff finch singing her head off as my feeders was empty , due to the pigeons being greedy.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Yesterday evening we had a chaff finch singing her head off as my feeders was empty , due to the pigeons being greedy.

Again, I rest my case. :rolleyes:

W

Wren

:) Greedy pigeons have there favourite places to feed at, and they are quite protective about who they share this area with I've noticed. I've really enjoyed watching the pidgion this year, previously I was disappointed that's all I would see lading and feeding. This year's feeds have seen coal tits for the first time and the little white dove more recently just Wonderful.
I've also had a regular blackbird doing it's thing. I think he owns the whole area tho and overlooks all who visit the patch
Yes mornings this spring have been amazing with sound as u said Megs the best time for me too is just before the sunrise. ..... Hopes the chaff,gets lucky next time
:)

Back