What are you reading?

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
I stumbled upon Bill Bryson many many moons ago. If I may say so his observational tales of his adventures in the UK and the various characters he met were brilliant.

Really enjoyed Notes From a Small Island.

The front path was pitch dark and in my eagerness and un- familiarity with British doorways, I tripped on a step, crashing face-first into the door and sending half a dozen empty milk bottles clattering. Almost immediately the upstairs window opened. `Who's that?' came a sharp voice. I stepped back, rubbing my nose, and peered up at a silhouette with hair curlers. `Hello, I'm looking for a room,' I said. `We're shut.'
`Oh.' But what about my supper?
`Try the Churchill. On the front.'
`On the front of what?' I asked, but the window was already banging closed.

JennyFleck

Inconsistently Consistent
Reaction score
I stumbled upon Bill Bryson many many moons ago. If I may say so his observational tales of his adventures in the UK and the various characters he met were brilliant.

Really enjoyed Notes From a Small Island.

The front path was pitch dark and in my eagerness and un- familiarity with British doorways, I tripped on a step, crashing face-first into the door and sending half a dozen empty milk bottles clattering. Almost immediately the upstairs window opened. `Who's that?' came a sharp voice. I stepped back, rubbing my nose, and peered up at a silhouette with hair curlers. `Hello, I'm looking for a room,' I said. `We're shut.'
`Oh.' But what about my supper?
`Try the Churchill. On the front.'
`On the front of what?' I asked, but the window was already banging closed.
Thanks for the comment :)

I read his book about the universe ages ago and loved it. They are full of kinda useless information, right? But he is funny and knowledgeable- his books are awesome. I imagine he is a super interesting person :)

JennyFleck

Reaction score
Reading these boards lately.
May as well be reading chairman maos red book.
Konnichiwa. I'm reading about a female necrophiliac serial killer, though. And Japanese coming-of-age ;-)

ladymuck

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I have just finished reading the final instalment of Terry Brooks saga. It is very well written and all the loose ends were tied up nicely. For a while there, I was afraid he had lost his touch but he seems to have got it back.
I enjoy reading historical fiction so I'm going to try one of the books by Charles Spencer. I used to be a great fan of Jean Plaidy but I seem to have read all of hers now.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
How do you people find time to read and write posts on this forum is beyond me ! :)

JennyFleck

Reaction score
The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje

The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro

JennyFleck

Reaction score
Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

Essays in Love by Alain de Botton- this one is a 10 outta 10. Outstanding. Would recommend :)

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Troublemaker by Harry Wu
One man's story of surviving 19 years in a Chinese gulag (re-education centre) It's a bit of an eye-opener.

JennyFleck

Reaction score
Notes from an Exhibition by Patrick Gale

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Helgoland by Carlo Rovelli, published by Penguin, Italian ed., 2020. English ed., 2021.

Quantum theory, 1920's and Werner Heisenberg's visit to Heligoland.

Dunx

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
What book(s) are you reading? What's your favourite book? Recommend books to others.

One book I am reading is 'the book of the cosmos.'
Can I suggest a book by Mary Renault - 'The Last of the Wine.' It's a very well and authentically researched novel about a gay love affair in ancient Greece between two soldiers.

Dunx

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Ooh ever read M. R. James?
Then I presume you've heard of Charles Dickens. The work of his I think you may find interesting is 'Sketches by Boz.; Written in the early 1800s. It's Dickens' own notes about characters he met in London's poor areas. It's really a collection of historically correct short stories.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The only thing I've read by Ray Bradbury Is Fahrenheit 451 and I really enjoyed it.

JennyFleck

Reaction score
No One Is Talking About This by Patricia Lockwood

JennyFleck

Reaction score
The Other Half of Augusta Hope by Joanna Glen

HeuristicMonkey

part time human
Reaction score
George Washington Carver Biog by Kramer (on order) last book i actually read was The Heuristic Triangle by DP MacTaighain

Back