What are you reading?

TemptingEnigma

Last time I was someone’s type I was giving blood.
Reaction score
Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss

Many people on this site might benefit from reading this.

Can mean the difference between knowing your sh** and knowing you're sh**.

baggy_trousers

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
This may be a little bit idle, but I listen to audible books, a couple of my favourites in thriller suspense, the ragdoll the, brief , the woodcutter , and a light-hearted series of Kate Brannigan, private investigator

IglooLass

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
The Longest Crawl by Ian Merchant - Scilly Isles to Shetland via several pubs

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - Quentin Tarantino His debut novel and it's a real page-turner. If you liked the movie you will love the book. It goes into all the back-stories of the main characters.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
My Cousin Rachel - Daphne Du Maurier
I really enjoyed this book, probably because it took me back to the brooding atmosphere of her classic Rebecca. This book is even better.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The Small Back Room - Nigel Balchin
This is nice read, and I think it was made into a movie. While I was reading it I couldn't understand why this book isn't more wildly known. Then, 5 pages from the end, the 'N' word is used once... It was written in 1943, and times were different, but that one reference has probably tarnished the book in today's world.

BlackMagicBabeXx

“Shut your mouth when you’re talking to me.”
Reaction score
Duchess in Love parts 1 and 2 by Eloisa James

Historical Romance

I love this authors books, they have great storylines.

TemptingEnigma

Reaction score
Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon.

It is considered one of the most important Scottish novels of the 20th century. It's the story of a girl growing up in a farming family at the start of the 20th century. Life is hard, and her family is dysfunctional.

G

Guff_In_An_Elevator

I'm reading Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman again because I'm fed up of waiting for the TV show.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
If you'd have asked me last week "What do you think of Kierkegaard?" I'd probably have replied "Who does he play for?" :confused:
Well, I've just been reading some Kierkegaard so I hope the forum inteligencia are suitably impressed. ;) 'The Concept of Dread' it was called, but it was dead boring and difficult to follow. He defines dread for instance as "freedom's appearance before itself in possibility" What the hell is that supposed to mean? :rolleyes: Serves me right for trying to improve my mind.

TemptingEnigma

Reaction score
Deadly Intent by Lynda Le Plant - holiday reading. Sadly, NOT the page turner I had hoped it would be.

BlackMagicBabeXx

Reaction score
The Encyclopedia of Witches and Witchcraft-Rosemary Ellen Guiley

TemptingEnigma

Reaction score
Riotous Assembly, by Tom Sharpe - A masterpiece of black farce, and makes me think that Sharpe is a comic genius. This book is full of 'laugh out loud' slapstick, and a good poke at the old South Africa and the stupidity/absurdity of apartheid.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

BlackMagicBabeXx

Reaction score
An Essay on Demonology, Ghosts and Apparitions. and popular superstitions
...by James Thacher

GrumpyOldishMan

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Riotous Assembly, by Tom Sharpe - A masterpiece of black farce, and makes me think that Sharpe is a comic genius. This book is full of 'laugh out loud' slapstick, and a good poke at the old South Africa and the stupidity/absurdity of apartheid.
Absolutely loved Tom Sharpe. Read a lot of his stuff in the 80's - at times had me literally laughing out loud (embarrassing on public transport). There is a follow up to Riotous Assembly, can't remember the title.

I'd completely forgotten Sharpe - will be delving into the back catalogue & re-reading Thank you!!

Back