The working class

B

Bad_Influence

Basic English would tell you that "working " means "working " and "Class " means "class" . No doubt about it .Logic is that anyone who works is "working class" even though they hate to be slotted into that category. They imagine that they are "better" than working class so they give their job a special title ,such as " A Surgeon" or a "Pilot" . It`s that simple mate :)
Ohh yes ,a quick edit :-- some "working class" like to call themselves "accountants" as if that puts them up in the clouds :D.
The envy in your comment is plain for all to see, and embarrassing.
And I’m sure if ‘someone’ called themselves an accountant they would be able to prove their credentials, that why I’ve never claimed to be as such. It does amuse me when I get labelled with that title though, it’s as though some idiots want others to think I’m highly qualified…. I can’t think why they would want to do that, jealousy perhaps.

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
Basic English would tell you that "working " means "working " and "Class " means "class" . No doubt about it .Logic is that anyone who works is "working class" even though they hate to be slotted into that category. They imagine that they are "better" than working class so they give their job a special title ,such as " A Surgeon" or a "Pilot" . It`s that simple mate :)
Ohh yes ,a quick edit :-- some "working class" like to call themselves "accountants" as if that puts them up in the clouds :D.
Well sack that , I'm not English XD

B

Bad_Influence

I think that`s the extreme range of "workers" but even a modest middle of the road Accountant is still working for a living ,so is "working class" . He/she wouldn`t like to be classed as that but it is simple truth.
Case in point. :rolleyes:

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
I`m glad that you are still with us Blossom (is it ??) ;Amiga or whatever .The Forum would be dead without your comments :)
The users name is Omega , so pack that in matey ....

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
The envy in your comment is plain for all to see, and embarrassing.
And I’m sure if ‘someone’ called themselves an accountant they would be able to prove their credentials, that why I’ve never claimed to be as such. It does amuse me when I get labelled with that title though, it’s as though some idiots want others to think I’m highly qualified…. I can’t think why they would want to do that, jealousy perhaps.
No idea what point you are making ? Did i mention you at all ? sorry but i can`t read it anywhere in my short speech.

B

Bad_Influence

Well sack that , I'm not English XD
What is you obsession with Accountants Hells? Did one screw you in a deal? Maybe charged you a fortune? Or is it just your innate jealousy of anyone with a brain?

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
What is you obsession with Accountants Hells? Did one screw you in a deal? Maybe charged you a fortune? Or is it just your innate jealousy of anyone with a brain?
I did my own accounting for 20 years ...does that answer your question ?

Oh please point me in the direction which would lead anyone to think i`m obsessed with Accountants ?.

B

Bad_Influence

Back on track….

I’m working class and proud of it. My daughter however has been to uni, got her degree (not Sociology or any pretend degree) and a career, I would say she will be seen by most as ‘upper working class’ or ‘middle class’. The thing is a label means nothing to her, it’s a label given by others, not how she sees herself.

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
C

CrazyCatLady

University is for anyone
We're not quite sure these days what constitutes 'the working class', but one thing I do agree with is that if you went to university - you're NOT working class. I am heartily sick of the educated elite with their university degrees looking down on the rest of us thinking we're too bloody thick to know what's best for us!
I'm definitely working class and went to uni- I was a mature student. Didn't get GCSEs until I was 26 and didn't go to uni until I was 30. I had to leave school at 14 for a variety of reasons and worked in hat factories, on market stalls and finally in an office, before I had my son. When he was little, I did night classes to get the qualifications needed to do a Bachelors and I had to pay for it with student loans and by working while I studied. By then, I was a single-parent, so worked in a pub and restaurant, because I could slip the shifts in between everything else.
Parents definitely didn't have money! My mother worked in factories and my step-dad was dead, but when he was alive he was in and out of prison.
There's a lot of mature students at uni these days and much more diversity of class.

And tbh, a degree and university education means sod all for future opportunities. There are many graduates working your local McDonalds and many students I met lacked a certain common sense. Perhaps they were the ones from the middle-class families, hey!

Back