The working class

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
We're not quite sure these days what constitutes 'the working class', but one thing I do agree with is that if you went to university - you're NOT working class. I am heartily sick of the educated elite with their university degrees looking down on the rest of us thinking we're too bloody thick to know what's best for us!

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Fair comment. Nothing wrong with your thoughts.

What you have to keep in mind though is that a lot of Uni Student's were NOT funded by Wealthy parents.

Some of them actually went out and worked to earn their degree.

2 or 3 %....At a guess....But still 2 or 3 %.....You can't tar all of them with the same brush.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
We're not quite sure these days what constitutes 'the working class', but one thing I do agree with is that if you went to university - you're NOT working class. I am heartily sick of the educated elite with their university degrees looking down on the rest of us thinking we're too bloody thick to know what's best for us!
I have 3 "Elite " children and i`m damn sure they wouldn`t look "down their " noses at anyone . They were brought up by working class parents who made sacrifices for them to further their prospects . I`m only too happy that they remember their roots. Stupid woman !

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I have 3 "Elite " children and i`m damn sure they wouldn`t look "down their " noses at anyone . They were brought up by working class parents who made sacrifices for them to further their prospects . I`m only too happy that they remember their roots. Stupid woman !
Women?...our greatest downfall... Few blokes here have been through it. I'm one though.! ;)

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Women?...our greatest downfall... Few blokes here have been through it. I'm one though.! ;)

I think you misread what i typed . my only mention of females was "WOMAN" not "WOMEN".
With reference to the person who is obviously filled with envy at those who go to Uni to improve their lot.

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
If only it was that black and white.

Get off your backside as an adult and earn a degree via what is described as the "underclass" or the "working class" and you are then stuck in a twilight zone between two totally different worlds. Not working-class and not middle-class. Viewed with suspicion by the working class and never fully accepted by the middle class as one of them.

The class divide.

In middle-class circles (and the working-class) you are still defined by what you have read, music, clothes you wear, the car you drive, where you live, your career, lifestyle, what food you like, etc.

Who you know, what school you went to, what college you went to, what uni you went to. What colour tie you wore.

Climbing the greasy ladder and all the obstacles the middle class deliberately places in your path.

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
You are working class if your TV is bigger than your Book Case.

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
My opinion ,is logic ...anyone who works for a living is "working class" office or building site .:)
It's not that simple the question is deeper than that ,

Where are the lines between Poor - Working class or Working class - Wealthy ?

Stick to Wargames ;p

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
If only it was that black and white.

Get off your backside as an adult and earn a degree via what is described as the "underclass" or the "working class" and you are then stuck in a twilight zone between two totally different worlds. Not working-class and not middle-class. Viewed with suspicion by the working class and never fully accepted by the middle class as one of them.

The class divide.

In middle-class circles (and the working-class) you are still defined by what you have read, music, clothes you wear, the car you drive, where you live, your career, lifestyle, what food you like, etc.

Who you know, what school you went to, what college you went to, what uni you went to. What colour tie you wore.

Climbing the greasy ladder and all the obstacles the middle class deliberately places in your path.

The pretence of acceptability to the upper class is strong ;)

So many people put to much emphasis on academia and its perceived trappings of intellectual superiority.

Usually because they envy the status it supposedly brings.

However, you find me a university prof who is willing to listen to new ideas, especially in the humanities and I'll show you the end of the rainbow.

Have to agree with you again Sam, although I dislike it.

Get a degree in whatever you love, not for the useless titles after your name, just do it because its fun and to keep the grey matter active.

My nan always drilled into me :-
"If a day goes by when you haven't learnt something new, its a day wasted."

TheBabayaga

Life is but a Dream within a dream
Reaction score
To me the so called class structure is dogs bollux, the type that sway from side to side. . If you are polite, well mannered and dont treat others like sh**, you got class. Great, you got into Uni, some children are late learners, they are academically gifted but slow to realise it, now they have settled into a job, gotten married, have a dog with bollux swaying side to side when he woddles down road and have no time to study. Doesnt mean jack.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Fair play to the 2-3% of working-class kids who leave their home towns to go to Uni, in search of a better income and a better life.
Then they start mixing with students from privileged private school backgrounds... They get their degrees, then professional jobs, mixing in middle-class circles... And then they become Labour party members :)
I wonder how many are then embarrassed by their uneducated families and former friends in mundane jobs, driving battered old cars, living on council estates?

TheThinker

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Working Class ? think the miners,,, the railwaymen from before 2000 and the deep sea fishermen,, they are true working class people ;-)

M

MrFishy

Well you're all wrong and clearly not working class.

Being working class is nothing to do with money or education.... its community. In the old days people didn't own there own homes and lived in the same place all there lives. Basically you couldn't afford to move and were stuck.... trapped and with no way out. You'd talk and spend time with the same people for your whole life.

Employers made sure of this by keeping wages low.

Strikes happened when those community had enough of low wages and poor working conditions. Most people had so little to lose in the first place.

I think the problems are still there and never left us: poor housing, low wages and employers treating people like sh** on there shoes.

But there no community action today, no one willing to make a change or take on these issues. People just move on.............and nothing really changes.

I think the only way you can describe a "working class person" today is with one phase:

"Let someone else deal with it "

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
It's not that simple the question is deeper than that ,

Where are the lines between Poor - Working class or Working class - Wealthy ?

Stick to Wargames ;p
Basic English would tell you that "working " means "working " and "Class " means "class" . No doubt about it .Logic is that anyone who works is "working class" even though they hate to be slotted into that category. They imagine that they are "better" than working class so they give their job a special title ,such as " A Surgeon" or a "Pilot" . It`s that simple mate :)
Ohh yes ,a quick edit :-- some "working class" like to call themselves "accountants" as if that puts them up in the clouds :D.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I still stick to my opinion that you're having us on, hells....
I`m glad that you are still with us Blossom (is it ??) ;Amiga or whatever .The Forum would be dead without your comments :)

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Fair play to the 2-3% of working-class kids who leave their home towns to go to Uni, in search of a better income and a better life.
Then they start mixing with students from privileged private school backgrounds... They get their degrees, then professional jobs, mixing in middle-class circles... And then they become Labour party members :)
I wonder how many are then embarrassed by their uneducated families and former friends in mundane jobs, driving battered old cars, living on council estates?
None of mine are .They are proud to be our children and i think this is common to most ex-Uni people . You don`t seem to know anything about clever kids eh ?

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Working Class ? think the miners,,, the railwaymen from before 2000 and the deep sea fishermen,, they are true working class people ;-)
I think that`s the extreme range of "workers" but even a modest middle of the road Accountant is still working for a living ,so is "working class" . He/she wouldn`t like to be classed as that but it is simple truth.

Back