Votes: 4 100.0%
  • ruins the site

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Racism is fear.
In many circumstances I can understand why it happens.
People are afraid.

Lets take 2 families, both deeply religous, a White Christian family and a Middle Eastern Muslim family.
They have either a boy or a girl who fall in love with each other across the religous ideological divide.
How does that play out with their religions?

Well that depends on which side the son or daughter is from.

It's simple differentiations like that which alienate people.
The reactions could be from simple disavowment right the way up to honour killings.

Who is right, ideologically?
Who is right fundamentally?
Who is right democratically?

Freedom still dictates action, it all depends on what is ones measure of freedom.

Chip_TheViking

Vegvisir
Reaction score
it's important to note genetics, humans of different races have different genetic backgrounds that not only influence traits such as skin color, hair type, facial features, but susceptibility to certain diseases & very importantly genetic compatibility is an important factor in organ donation.
when asking the question "why don't certain breeds of apes/birds mate in nature?"

there's several reasons why certain breeds of birds and apes do not mate in nature, including behavioural differences, such as social hierarchies
Genetic incompatibility: In some cases, different breeds of apes/birds may be genetically incompatible, meaning that even if they were to mate, their offspring may not be viable or may have a reduced chance of survival within the group/hierarchy.

Social structures: Some breeds may have strict social structures or hierarchies that prevent interbreeding between different groups or breeds that make it difficult for them to successfully exist in harmony with each other.
these animals do not have the same societal constructs and biases as humans yet seem to have some knowledge we do not.
are these animals racist?

ladymuck

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I think the word 'racism' is over-used. One of the problems is that if a minority is criticized for any reason, they immediately assume it's because of their skin colour or whatever. This keeps happening with certain politicians. The situation in the Middle East has brought out divisions in our society and also the attitude of certain sections of British citizens. This is something we need to be seriously concerned about and people need to be able to discuss this freely without being dismissed as racists.

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
The topic of racism is indeed complex and often evokes strong emotions and reactions. While it's important to have open and honest discussions about issues related to race and ethnicity, it's equally crucial to approach these conversations with sensitivity and empathy.

It's true that the term "racism" can sometimes be overused or misapplied, leading to misunderstandings and defensiveness. At the same time, it's essential to recognize that racism, in its various forms, continues to exist in many societies and can have significant negative impacts on individuals and communities.

When discussing sensitive topics such as race, it's important to listen actively, acknowledge diverse perspectives, and strive to create a respectful and inclusive dialogue. This includes recognizing and addressing systemic inequalities and biases that may perpetuate racism and discrimination.

Promoting education, empathy, and understanding can help foster meaningful conversations about race and ethnicity while also challenging stereotypes and prejudices. By promoting mutual respect and empathy, we can work towards building more inclusive and equitable societies where everyone feels valued and respected, regardless of their race or ethnicity.

A_Son_of_God

Forum Reasoner - Nemesis of the Trolls
Reaction score
I think the word 'racism' is over-used. One of the problems is that if a minority is criticized for any reason, they immediately assume it's because of their skin colour or whatever. This keeps happening with certain politicians. The situation in the Middle East has brought out divisions in our society and also the attitude of certain sections of British citizens. This is something we need to be seriously concerned about and people need to be able to discuss this freely without being dismissed as racists.
Yeah, I agree.
Racism of itself - thinking a person is better than others because of their race, or that a person is worse or less than others because of their race - that is my idea of racism. But I don't think - unless it is done deliberately to harass people of a specific race - that finding humour in people saying the wrong thing because of not knowing the language is racism. We laugh when our kids say funny things. Do we hate them when they do it? No. So laughing because something sounds, or is said in a funny or unusual way to us may be quite humourous. I don't agree that that is always racism. In fact, in most cases, I don't think it is.

Also, if someone calls me something offensive because I'm of a certain ethinicity (Pom, Skip, snowflake - when it used to mean a white person), then it would be silly for me to say "It's okay for me to use it, because I am of that ethnicity". Why? Because if it is the word that is offensive, then EVERYONE should not use the word. Separating the word for one ethnicity and not another is racism of itself.

There are two sides. The unreasonable who make rules on everything, and damn everyone to hell for something, and then there are the extreme "Freedom of speech" people who just want to abuse people under the guise of free speech. These are both extreme. There is reasonableness that is required, but in this political world, it won't change. Well, it might change, backwards and forwards, but won't be fixed.

Additionally, acknowledging differences in race is necessary. Imagine the joys of knowing by looking at people that we can see their origin of their family line, and see crossovers and so on.

We're all equal as humans. We're also unique as humans. Both are blessings.

ladymuck

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
In school, most of us were subject to name-calling because of our physical appearance...carrot-top...specky-4eyes, etc. Unpleasant but we just accepted it. If a boy was effeminate he was nicknamed Primrose or Nancy-boy. A black girl was called Topsy. It was just part of growing up. Since when did everyone become so ultra-sensitive?

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
The Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History has listed at least 21 human species that are recognized by most scientists.

Where did they all go?

Well the simple answer is we butcher them all long ago. In the last hundred years we've butchered more than 400 million people as a species. It proves beyond all doubt we are willing to wipe out ethnic groups for pleasure.

Name calling is the start of that process, first we label and then we destroy.

Back