Online hate speech has increased by 20% in the UK over the last 18 months.

S

Saphire

These are the findings of the youth charity 'Ditch the Label' that carried out the research.

• Between 2019 and mid-2021 – On average there was a new post about race or ethnicity-based hate speech every 1.7 seconds.
  • The beginning of the pandemic spurred ethnicity-based hate speech as anti-Asian hate became significantly more common and widespread.
  • There was a 28% increase in ethnicity based and racist hate speech in the UK and US.
  • Since the start of the pandemic discussions online of violent threats in the UK increased by 10%. This increase matched with big events, like the Black Lives Matter protests in summer of 2020 and the violent attacks against people in Asian communities.
  • Anti-Asian hate speech increased by 1662% in 2020 compared to 2019. This shows how quickly hate speech can grow.
  • Hate speech about gender or gender identity has increased by 14% since the start of the pandemic.
  • Homophobia made up 85% of conversations relating to hate speech about sexual orientation.
  • Discussions about violent threats online saw a 22% increase following the start of the pandemic and the resurgence of the Black Lives Matter movement in the summer of 2020.
  • In the UK, the peak for hate speech discussions and examples of hate speech online occurred prior to the peak for incidents of hate crimes. This suggests the potentially dangerous impact that online hate speech can have on ‘real world’ violent attacks.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
These are the findings of the youth charity 'Ditch the Label' that carried out the research.

• Between 2019 and mid-2021 – On average there was a new post about race or ethnicity-based hate speech every 1.7 seconds.
  • The beginning of the pandemic spurred ethnicity-based hate speech as anti-Asian hate became significantly more common and widespread.
  • There was a 28% increase in ethnicity based and racist hate speech in the UK and US.
  • Since the start of the pandemic discussions online of violent threats in the UK increased by 10%. This increase matched with big events, like the Black Lives Matter protests in summer of 2020 and the violent attacks against people in Asian communities.
  • Anti-Asian hate speech increased by 1662% in 2020 compared to 2019. This shows how quickly hate speech can grow.
  • Hate speech about gender or gender identity has increased by 14% since the start of the pandemic.
  • Homophobia made up 85% of conversations relating to hate speech about sexual orientation.
  • Discussions about violent threats online saw a 22% increase following the start of the pandemic and the resurgence of the Black Lives Matter movement in the summer of 2020.
  • In the UK, the peak for hate speech discussions and examples of hate speech online occurred prior to the peak for incidents of hate crimes. This suggests the potentially dangerous impact that online hate speech can have on ‘real world’ violent attacks.

If the woke Twitterati et al talk about anything possibly ambiguous, they will get push back.
That push back they can then label (Insertwhateverhere)phobic or simply "Nazis".
Hence by doing it they can report more hate.

It's pathetic, but it works because people are to fecking ideologically driven to see thats why they do it and answer.
The best thing you can do with the woke, is just not bother, their arguments suck, they have no desire to debate, they simply rely on self percieved righteousness.

It's laughable.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
This calling people a 'Tony' or a 'Karen' business, is it meant as a subtle insult? I'm minded of this because there's are cricketers in trouble (rightly so) for calling all Asian players 'Kevin'. The reason being they couldn't pronounce their real names, or be bothered to try... To add insult to injury one of them also called his dog 'Kevin'. :rolleyes: The mind boggles at the mentality of some people.

C

CrazyCatLady

Have people just turned nastier since the pandemic began, taking their frustrations out on the anonymous online. or are others just too sensitive now, and something they may have shrugged off once, now is taken as racist, sexist, ageist, fattist, and or any other 'ist' that people can pin a label on?

The 'rules' change every day about what is racist, xenophobic, transphobic or genderist (is that even a word yet?). Ironic thing is, those claiming to hate labels and rally against supposed 'hate speech' are usually the ones with so many self-assigned labels and throwing the 'hate-speech' against everyone who has a different view to them.

Admittedly though, online, there is plenty of it, no matter what label or demographic you are. Part of the reason I didn't take part in social media for over ten years is because it's a hotbed for harassment. Anonymity is a protective factor for bullies; however, let's not mistake online bullying for reading something you don't like or being a d!ck and people reacting to it. The thing with online bullying on a forum such as this or another chat site is that you can avoid it somewhat- block, switch off, join another site, delete your old account and start a new one to avoid the haters. I find it extreme when people get overly upset about online bullying. If it's in writing you can report it; if nothing is done, leave the site- there are plenty more out there.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
The thing with online bullying on a forum such as this or another chat site is that you can avoid it somewhat- block, switch off, join another site, delete your old account and start a new one to avoid the haters. I find it extreme when people get overly upset about online bullying. If it's in writing you can report it; if nothing is done, leave the site- there are plenty more out there.
Don`t you think that is the purpose in having a group of MODS and several Admin ? to ensure that things ,such as bullying etc,are not allowed to get out of hand ?. Why should members leave friends they may have made on the site just to suit a gang of bullies who are out for fun ?.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The 'rules' change every day about what is racist, xenophobic, transphobic or genderist (is that even a word yet?). Ironic thing is, those claiming to hate labels and rally against supposed 'hate speech' are usually the ones with so many self-assigned labels and throwing the 'hate-speech' against everyone who has a different view to them.

Admittedly though, online, there is plenty of it, no matter what label or demographic you are. Part of the reason I didn't take part in social media for over ten years is because it's a hotbed for harassment. Anonymity is a protective factor for bullies; however, let's not mistake online bullying for reading something you don't like or being a d!ck and people reacting to it. The thing with online bullying on a forum such as this or another chat site is that you can avoid it somewhat- block, switch off, join another site, delete your old account and start a new one to avoid the haters. I find it extreme when people get overly upset about online bullying. If it's in writing you can report it; if nothing is done, leave the site- there are plenty more out there.

Choices again, one can always not indulge.

However when those choices are taken away through ignorance, stupidity or simple lack of knowledge doesnt one have the resposibility to educate?

Or not..

Who are we to place our opinions on others.
Yet the democracies of the world roll out their "Experts" and sway the votes one way or another.
People are pawns, until they actually realise that nothing will change.

If you dont like being harrased, set up a web site for women only.
If you dont like your government, make a new one.
But you wont lol

One person cant, 100 maybe, 1000 possibly, but a million people, with a cause.. thats different.
No Im not talking about those dumb ass climate activists who are to uneducated about the realities of life.
They are just pawns.

My bad.. drunk and bitching for fun :)

C

CrazyCatLady

Don`t you think that is the purpose in having a group of MODS and several Admin ? to ensure that things ,such as bullying etc,are not allowed to get out of hand ?. Why should members leave friends they may have made on the site just to suit a gang of bullies who are out for fun ?.

So there's an option to report it. It's all in writing- you have proof.
And 'friends'? If they are 'friends', then they have personal information about you and can contact you in RL. Always the option to delete, get a new name and tell those that you are 'friends' with that it's you.

Nevertheless, I believe the OP was referring to a general phenomenon and not you explicitly (could be wrong), but I'm guessing your reply is personal.

Thing is, Hells, is you claim bullying every time someone answers you back or points out your ignorance, so your claims become very much like the boy who cried wolf. They fall on deaf ears, because it's just a repeat of the same old, same old. You like being a victim and no Mod or Admin can help you with that.

S

Saphire

Exactly .... If you ignore bullies you have the last laugh, they are simply talking to themselves.

On the other hand there is no doubt that people spew a lot of hatred on social media sites, and mostly nothing seems to be done about it.

C

CrazyCatLady

And why's that then?

However when those choices are taken away through ignorance, stupidity or simple lack of knowledge doesnt one have the resposibility to educate?

You'd have to be pretty bloody stupid to not know where the X is to close the page. Perhaps if one is that stupid, ignorant or has that much of a lack in knowledge, should they be using the internet? Btw, I used to teach primary school children and one of the lessons in IT focused on how to block and report internet bullies and suspicious adults. Unless that online group is connected to work/school or some compulsory group, the reality is that it can be switched off, if you believe that the online bullying is negatively effecting your time on the site.

Yet the democracies of the world roll out their "Experts" and sway the votes one way or another.

Opinions are like @rseholes- everyone has one, but there's a time and place to flash it. Forums are that time and place or else they wouldn't get traffic and they'd serve no purpose.
Whether people are pawns or not is a different thread. Of course they are, but they also have the choice of being a 'Compliant pawn' or a 'Defiant Pawn'. Defiant pawns have more choice, because they see more choice.

But you wont lol

Your first example- obviously in respect of me, but why assume that I got harassed or that I got harassed because I was a woman/had pro-woman views? Because neither assumption would be correct. I'm sure there are already websites out there for women only and if I wanted to chat/post on one, I would. I don't, so I don't.

One person cant, 100 maybe, 1000 possibly, but a million people, with a cause.. thats different.
No Im not talking about those dumb ass climate activists who are to uneducated about the realities of life.
They are just pawns.

Your talking about institutional control- hardly related to the concept of leaving a website, because you don't like the atmosphere.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Saphire

So there's an option to report it. It's all in writing- you have proof.
And 'friends'? If they are 'friends', then they have personal information about you and can contact you in RL. Always the option to delete, get a new name and tell those that you are 'friends' with that it's you.

Nevertheless, I believe the OP was referring to a general phenomenon and not you explicitly (could be wrong), but I'm guessing your reply is personal.

Thing is, Hells, is you claim bullying every time someone answers you back or points out your ignorance, so your claims become very much like the boy who cried wolf. They fall on deaf ears, because it's just a repeat of the same old, same old. You like being a victim and no Mod or Admin can help you with that.
You are right. The thread was not about anyone here, it was nothing to do with this forum

It's research carried out by a youth charity called 'Ditch the label'.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Thats a huge lie and you should know it . It`s what many people on here claim but never substantiate . If i`m a victim of some bullying then i am ,it`s no big deal as long as i can get it sorted. Imagine changing my name every time i have discord with a neighbour or a shop keeper ! hahaha .Get real .

I have had this name since i was a member of aol 20 years ago and i don`t intend to change it now for a few modcreeps who can get away with murder.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
On the other hand there is no doubt that people spew a lot of hatred on social media sites, and mostly nothing seems to be done about it.
Yep ,and this is one site which has gone that way recently imo.

C

CrazyCatLady

Thats a huge lie and you should know it . It`s what many people on here claim but never substantiate . If i`m a victim of some bullying then i am ,it`s no big deal as long as i can get it sorted. Imagine changing my name every time i have discord with a neighbour or a shop keeper ! hahaha .Get real .

I have had this name since i was a member of aol 20 years ago and i don`t intend to change it now for a few modcreeps who can get away with murder.
Then don't and continue to put up with what you claim to be putting up with. Either way, do you honestly think you're achieving anything by attacking everyone that disagrees with you or cannot see you for the victim you claim to be?
Frankly, on the forums, I see an obstinate, ignorant man who likes to attack others and then play the victim. If quite a few others are seeing that, perhaps you ought to view how you come across online and stop blaming others for actually seeing it.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Then don't and continue to put up with what you claim to be putting up with. Either way, do you honestly think you're achieving anything by attacking everyone that disagrees with you or cannot see you for the victim you claim to be?
Frankly, on the forums, I see an obstinate, ignorant man who likes to attack others and then play the victim. If quite a few others are seeing that, perhaps you ought to view how you come across online and stop blaming others for actually seeing it.
One thing i NEVER do is insult other members families ,whatever they may call me in chat.
It may be possible to have a word with the site Owners rather than the appointed Admin.
I think a lot of new rules are coming out next year which addresses the problem of badly run sites of any sort .

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

And why's that then?

You'd have to be pretty bloody stupid to not know where the X is to close the page. Perhaps if one is that stupid, ignorant or has that much of a lack in knowledge, should they be using the internet? Btw, I used to teach primary school children and one of the lessons in IT focused on how to block and report internet bullies and suspicious adults. Unless that online group is connected to work/school or some compulsory group, the reality is that it can be switched off, if you believe that the online bullying is negatively effecting your time on the site.

Opinions are like @rseholes- everyone has one, but there's a time and place to flash it. Forums are that time and place or else they wouldn't get traffic and they'd serve no purpose.
Whether people are pawns or not is a different thread. Of course they are, but they also have the choice of being a 'Compliant pawn' or a 'Defiant Pawn'. Defiant pawns have more choice, because they see more choice.

But you wont lol

Your first example- obviously in respect of me, but why assume that I got harassed or that I got harassed because I was a woman/had pro-woman views? Because neither assumption would be correct. I'm sure there are already websites out there for women only and if I wanted to chat/post on one, I would. I don't, so I don't.

They are just pawns.

Your talking about institutional control- hardly related to the concept of leaving a website, because you don't like the atmosphere.

Online you inhabit the enviroment you choose to.

There are always other places.

I do find it funny you said this.
"I used to teach primary school children and one of the lessons in IT focused on how to block and report internet bullies and suspicious adults"
I would question 2 things abouth that.
Is not that the job of the parent?
What are you protecting them from exactly?

So is it that parents cant be trusted to control thier kids internet access?
So, what should we do.. control the intenet because parents are to lazy or stupid to install blocks on access to the seedier side of the WWW?

C

CrazyCatLady

One thing i NEVER do is insult other members families ,whatever they may call me in chat.
It may be possible to have a word with the site Owners rather than the appointed Admin.
I think a lot of new rules are coming out next year which addresses the problem of badly run sites of any sort .
And do they know your family personally? If not, shake it off- it means nothing and if it's effecting you personally, block the people doing it. People say stupid things online- fact of life- but unless they're actually targeting and harassing you, tell them to 'P!ss off' and move on. Alternatively, learn some 'Mother Jokes'- "Your mother's so fat that when she fell down the stairs, the neighbours thought Eastenders had finished!" or target other women in their family (you know you can) "Your sister's version of a 'lie in' is Sunday morning servicing the local football team" See? Easy!
You have no problem with insulting forum members, what's the issue with tit-for-tat on family members?

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
And do they know your family personally? If not, shake it off- it means nothing and if it's effecting you personally, block the people doing it. People say stupid things online- fact of life- but unless they're actually targeting and harassing you, tell them to 'P!ss off' and move on. Alternatively, learn some 'Mother Jokes'- "Your mother's so fat that when she fell down the stairs, the neighbours thought Eastenders had finished!" or target other women in their family (you know you can) "Your sister's version of a 'lie in' is Sunday morning servicing the local football team" See? Easy!
You have no problem with insulting forum members, what's the issue with tit-for-tat on family members?

I have no idea, I tend not to insult forum users.
The internet is a strange place to be, its an unknown how something so powerful can shape peoples lives.
It's like the wild west.
Theres a lot of good to be taken from it but also a lot of bad.
If people dont like it, they have a choice.. limit it or turn it off.

I wouldnt walk into a bears den if I didnt expect it to be rough.
Or perhaps the internet should be a Safe Space for everyone?
Perhaps those who dont like where they are should find somewhere safer to be .
Not everyone wants to live next to a volcano.

C

CrazyCatLady

Online you inhabit the enviroment you choose to.

There are always other places.

I do find it funny you said this.
"I used to teach primary school children and one of the lessons in IT focused on how to block and report internet bullies and suspicious adults"
I would question 2 things abouth that.
Is not that the job of the parent?
What are you protecting them from exactly?

So is it that parents cant be trusted to control thier kids internet access?
So, what should we do.. control the intenet because parents are to lazy or stupid to install blocks on access to the seedier side of the WWW?

You'll be surprised about what most parents can't do now-a-days. Many children in primary school are not even potty trained, but parenting styles are a completely other subject.
In short, no- many (most) parents do not teach that, because they have a false sense of security in the internet themselves or don't think their little angels could possibly be on a website where strange adults are targeting them and pretending to be fellow children. Nor do most parents have an idea of how their child can bullied, as most children will not talk about it for fear of the repercussions from the bullies.
And no- most parents are not savvy enough to know what an internet control is, because most don't have an awareness of the dangers on the internet for children.

'What are you protecting them from?' Are f***ing kidding me with that question? Oh sorry, I forgot. Children are not hard done by men, so the world is perfectly safe and dangers on the internet from MEN pretending to be children are not real at all.

Here we go- you go to the extreme when offering your version of a solution. No doubt designed to put me in a position of trying to answer a question that has no obvious answer- what? In a quest to intellectualise yourself or make it appear that my reasoning is not as well thought out as yours?
So the blame is squarely with the parents and nothing to do with the the adults that use the internet nefariously?

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
You'll be surprised about what most parents can't do now-a-days. Many children in primary school are not even potty trained, but parenting styles are a completely other subject.
In short, no- many (most) parents do not teach that, because they have a false sense of security in the internet themselves or don't think their little angels could possibly be on a website where strange adults are targeting them and pretending to be fellow children. Nor do most parents have an idea of how their child can bullied, as most children will not talk about it for fear of the repercussions from the bullies.
And no- most parents are not savvy enough to know what an internet control is, because most don't have an awareness of the dangers on the internet for children.

'What are you protecting them from?' Are f***ing kidding me with that question? Oh sorry, I forgot. Children are not hard done by men, so the world is perfectly safe and dangers on the internet from MEN pretending to be children are not real at all.

Here we go- you go to the extreme when offering your version of a solution. No doubt designed to put me in a position of trying to answer a question that has no obvious answer- what? In a quest to intellectualise yourself or make it appear that my reasoning is not as well thought out as yours?
So the blame is squarely with the parents and nothing to do with the the adults that use the internet nefariously?

I have to pick up on this first.
"No doubt designed to put me in a position of trying to answer a question that has no obvious answer- what? In a quest to intellectualise yourself or make it appear that my reasoning is not as well thought out as yours?"

Not at all there are no right are wrong answers, just looking at the debate.

"You'll be surprised about what most parents can't do now-a-days. Many children in primary school are not even potty trained, but parenting styles are a completely other subject."
Do you have an answer to why that is the case?
Perhaps that parenting has taken a background place to career, I dont know.

"parents do not teach that, because they have a false sense of security in the internet themselves or don't think their little angels could possibly be on a website where strange adults are targeting them and pretending to be fellow children. Nor do most parents have an idea of how their child can bullied, as most children will not talk about it for fear of the repercussions from the bullies."

That I can relate to being bullied, a choirboy (take from that what you will) and a weak child.

"And no- most parents are not savvy enough to know what an internet control is, because most don't have an awareness of the dangers on the internet for children."

So how do we change it?

Dont for one minute think it's just men playing on the internet looking for victims.

Yes it is predominantly men, but given the number of desperate for attention girls who are available online do you not prescribe some of the fault to the mothers?

You have already stated your point about the lax morals and education of lower class single parent mothers.
Would you care to expand that theory?

These are very complex social problems that we cant solve, but think about them without bias.

C

CrazyCatLady

I have to pick up on this first.
"No doubt designed to put me in a position of trying to answer a question that has no obvious answer- what? In a quest to intellectualise yourself or make it appear that my reasoning is not as well thought out as yours?"

Not at all there are no right are wrong answers, just looking at the debate.

"You'll be surprised about what most parents can't do now-a-days. Many children in primary school are not even potty trained, but parenting styles are a completely other subject."
Do you have an answer to why that is the case?
Perhaps that parenting has taken a background place to career, I dont know.

"parents do not teach that, because they have a false sense of security in the internet themselves or don't think their little angels could possibly be on a website where strange adults are targeting them and pretending to be fellow children. Nor do most parents have an idea of how their child can bullied, as most children will not talk about it for fear of the repercussions from the bullies."

That I can relate to being bullied, a choirboy (take from that what you will) and a weak child.

"And no- most parents are not savvy enough to know what an internet control is, because most don't have an awareness of the dangers on the internet for children."

So how do we change it?

Dont for one minute think it's just men playing on the internet looking for victims.

Yes it is predominantly men, but given the number of desperate for attention girls who are available online do you not prescribe some of the fault to the mothers?

You have already stated your point about the lax morals and education of lower class single parent mothers.
Would you care to expand that theory?

These are very complex social problems that we cant solve, but think about them without bias.
Firstly, can you address this point, please?

"You have already stated your point about the lax morals and education of lower class single parent mothers.
Would you care to expand that theory?"

Can you clarify my point on the lax moral and education of lower class single parent mothers?
As in, copy and paste exactly what I said.

Back