Billyliar

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
May I suggest just mixing it in the wheelbarrow and not using the wheelie bin,

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Here is the original post

Precisely! have you felt the weight of a bag of cement!? :eek: Rainwater has managed to ingress into the bin, and prodding the bags it feels like the cement has set in them. Even if I could get them out how would I get rid of them? So i'm stuck with an unusable green wheelie bin. :rolleyes:

The question was:

How to get bags of cement out of a bin once set?

Billyliar

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Ty for pointing this out Fred, putting the bags of cement in a empty builders rubble bag, could have helped, they would have stayed dry, and council property would not have been contaminated in here if more helps required fred

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
There looks to be 4 bags of cement and 1 bag of sand, which is odd to start with, and I've no building experience whatsoever, but I would have thought it would have been the other way round, 4 sand to 1 cement. :rolleyes:

Paying a man to take away rubbish is risky. They could end up dumping it round the corner to save them having to pay any commercial waste fees
to the council.
After the giant spider incident the last time I took stuff to the council tip - Nothing from the garden can now ever go in the car because of the risk of creepy crawlies setting up home in the car. :eek:
Which is why i'm stuck with it. But I'm glad I mentioned the bags of cement :) All that up there^^^ made for a nice read with my first coffee of the morning. Thank you, you lovely people. ;)

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Don't set Kev off again :oops:

Kev45

A beautiful sunset that was mistaken for a dawn.
Reaction score
Yes, someone clearly overestimated the cement, I hope they didn't charge you for it, and you are correct a 4-1 is the perfect brick mortar mix and occasionally rendering, etc.

I am assuming they weigh 25 kilos each (because otherwise you would have shifted them by now) and which is a total of 125, add "water" and likely to weigh well above 150 kilos and not even DOAs 15 servants, the ones that reside in his big FAT head, could shift that weight.

Because adding water to gone off cement bags will achieve sweet FA, except create even more contaminated sludge.

I also own a hand "truck" for moving heavy objects, sofas, washing machines etc, you could buy a cheap one and use it to move the concrete to somewhere out of site and out of mind, like in a shed (lol) and then use the wheelie bin to store something much more useful. :)

Kev45

Reaction score
After the giant spider incident the last time I took stuff to the council tip - Nothing from the garden can now ever go in the car because of the risk of creepy crawlies setting up home in the car.

Giant spider o_O

British spiders can't hurt you, the vast majority of the spidery little bitey things can't even break through human or animal skin. False widow spiders are altogether different and can cause chest pain and nausea, and which is not helpful at all if you already have underlying cardiac or other health issues.

These though are tiny and so not the giant spider you had issues with.

House spiders on the whole are useful because they check the spread of insect born diseases in the home and are also considered a lucky charm in many cultures less squeamish than the British.

"If you want to live and thrive, let the spider run alive.”

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
British spiders can't hurt you, the vast majority of the spidery little bitey things can't even break through human or animal skin. False widow spiders are altogether different and can cause chest pain and nausea, and which is not helpful at all if you already have underlying cardiac or other health issues.

These though are tiny and so not the giant spider you had issues with.

House spiders on the whole are useful because they check the spread of insect born diseases in the home and are also considered a lucky charm in many cultures less squeamish than the British.

"If you want to live and thrive, let the spider run alive.”

It's true that most spiders found in British homes are harmless and actually beneficial because they help control insect populations. However, it's essential to be cautious around certain species like the false widow spider, which can indeed deliver a venomous bite that may cause discomfort or health issues, especially for those with underlying health conditions. While spiders generally play a positive role in controlling pests, it's understandable that encountering certain species can cause concern or anxiety for some individuals. As with any wildlife, it's essential to respect their presence while also taking appropriate precautions to ensure safety and well-being.

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Hey guyz I thought I give you all some general trowel advice and I bought these trowels myself last week. Someone in the room asked that I make a thread about it because I showed them my trowel on cam and they are fascinating. These are all stainless steel and will never rust, which is a bonus, right?

View attachment 15041

This is a brick trowel, this is used to lay bricks and build stuff like walls, or a nice barbecue in the garden.

View attachment 15042

This is a general plastering trowel, this is used to slap plaster on a wall and there are also finishing trowels that give a nice smooth finish but I couldn't be arsed googling one.

View attachment 15043

This is a pointing trowel, it's not as large as a brick laying trowel, and it's used to give a nice smooth finish to the cement in the brick joints.

View attachment 15044

This is a spatula trowel and is used for finer detail in plastering, that bastard of a bit you can't quite get to with the big trowel.

Now, you could probably use a plastering trowel to lay bricks, but you probably couldn't use a brick laying trowel to smoothly plaster a wall.

If you have any more trowel questions guyz don't be afraid to ask.

@Kev45 F.ucking brilliant!

thread of the year.png

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Yes, someone clearly overestimated the cement, I hope they didn't charge you for it, and you are correct a 4-1 is the perfect brick mortar mix and occasionally rendering, etc.

I am assuming they weigh 25 kilos each (because otherwise you would have shifted them by now) and which is a total of 125, add "water" and likely to weigh well above 150 kilos and not even DOAs 15 servants, the ones that reside in his big FAT head, could shift that weight.

Because adding water to gone off cement bags will achieve sweet FA, except create even more contaminated sludge.

I also own a hand "truck" for moving heavy objects, sofas, washing machines etc, you could buy a cheap one and use it to move the concrete to somewhere out of site and out of mind, like in a shed (lol) and then use the wheelie bin to store something much more useful. :)

Oh God :rolleyes:

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Kev we have been thru this before....

If ladyonarooftop put 125kg in a bin, its more than the bin can hold. The max load is 96kg. How can you put 125kg in 96kg wheelie bin?

Kev45

Reaction score
Lol, this thread will haunt the "this is my imaginary kayak" sausage for weeks.

Silly c@nt really does believe 25 kilo bags of cement are not sold as the "NORM" in DIY/builders merchants, millions of bags of the shi@e.

10 kilo bags.... LOL!

While he is stood there for the next month. With his finger up his own arse, trying to work out how he can tip over a wheelie bin, containing four bags of cement, 1 bag of sand and topped up with water, into a wheelbarrow. :)

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
It seems like there's quite a bit of banter going on in that thread! Whether it's discussing the weight of bags of cement or enjoying some light-hearted humor, it's always good to find moments of levity in conversation. And hey, dancing in the rain sounds like a wonderful way to embrace life's joys!

Kev45

Reaction score
I have a wheelie bin tale that I must share.

I once lived in a back to back terrace, with no yard and had to keep my two wheelie bins on the front street, one normal and one blue for recycling.

Some degenerate thieved my SHINY new blue recycling bin and replaced it with a battered smelly old bin with no lid and full up to the brim with empty 'Lambrini' bottles, LOL!

I had to chain the new one to a drainpipe and a delivery guy once said knowingly "that bad is it" to which I just forlornly nodded.

The area was so bad that on the opposite side, hordes of families would get pissed in their little front space in the warmer months, while their feral kids played fun games like yanking the ariels of cars.

Whenever I walked past with my LARGE dog, it would go eerily quiet and these toothless herberts would just sullenly stare at me through permanently glazed eyes.

It also didn't help that I have a southern accent and so stuck out like a sore thumb.

Now I am no shrinking violet, but even I found that rather intimidating, lol. :cool:

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
So you improved yourself esteem by getting a really big dog?

1713015642843.png

Around here people just get a pet fox. Its a lot cheaper... you just let them out at night and they feed themselves :cool:

ladymuck

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Hey guyz I thought I give you all some general trowel advice and I bought these trowels myself last week. Someone in the room asked that I make a thread about it because I showed them my trowel on cam and they are fascinating. These are all stainless steel and will never rust, which is a bonus, right?

View attachment 15041

This is a brick trowel, this is used to lay bricks and build stuff like walls, or a nice barbecue in the garden.

View attachment 15042

This is a general plastering trowel, this is used to slap plaster on a wall and there are also finishing trowels that give a nice smooth finish but I couldn't be arsed googling one.

View attachment 15043

This is a pointing trowel, it's not as large as a brick laying trowel, and it's used to give a nice smooth finish to the cement in the brick joints.

View attachment 15044

This is a spatula trowel and is used for finer detail in plastering, that bastard of a bit you can't quite get to with the big trowel.

Now, you could probably use a plastering trowel to lay bricks, but you probably couldn't use a brick laying trowel to smoothly plaster a wall.

If you have any more trowel questions guyz don't be afraid to ask.
and which one would you recommend for an archaeological dig?

Kev45

Reaction score
For an archaeological dig, I would recommend a WHS solid forged trowel because they use thicker steel and a stronger handle for grip and comfort. They also provide a quality leather holster to keep your trowel at hand on your belt at all times. You really don't want to lose or have trowel breakdown on a remote dig far from civilization.

I prefer the 4 inch, but you can go bigger with 6.

Here is a picture of me using one on a recent dig in a field outside the ancient, long-lost City of Salisbury in Wiltshire. Where we unearthed what appears to be an ancient platform, perhaps used for ceremonies, that our ancestors called a 'sunbed'. We don't know exactly what its purpose was, but we have discovered a similar, much smaller platform they called 'George Foreman' on the same dig.

1660744154-volunteersdigging.jpg

Here are the various trowels I use out in the field on expeditions.

Archeology trowels.jpg

Last edited:

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Here is a 5'' trowel I have used, many times, to help plaster ceilings. (rotate the photo for exact replica)

The below image is it in (rest mode) use after three full days of trowelling mayhem!

1713090774272.png

Back