My professional trowel thoughts.

Kev45

A beautiful sunset that was mistaken for a dawn.
Reaction score
Hey guyz I thought I give you all some general trowel advice and I bought these trowels myself last week. Someone in the room asked that I make a thread about it because I showed them my trowel on cam and they are fascinating. These are all stainless steel and will never rust, which is a bonus, right?

83421_P.jpg

This is a brick trowel, this is used to lay bricks and build stuff like walls, or a nice barbecue in the garden.

l24593_1.png

This is a general plastering trowel, this is used to slap plaster on a wall and there are also finishing trowels that give a nice smooth finish but I couldn't be arsed googling one.

l24581_1.jpg

This is a pointing trowel, it's not as large as a brick laying trowel, and it's used to give a nice smooth finish to the cement in the brick joints.

refina-margin-trowel-gif.gif

This is a spatula trowel and is used for finer detail in plastering, that bastard of a bit you can't quite get to with the big trowel.

Now, you could probably use a plastering trowel to lay bricks, but you probably couldn't use a brick laying trowel to smoothly plaster a wall.

If you have any more trowel questions guyz don't be afraid to ask.

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
If I was laying under floor heating, what trowel should I use for the screening?

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I've got a cement trowel. It was left in my green wheelie bin along with bags of sand and cement. I'll take a pic of it when I get a chance.

Kev45

Reaction score
That there trowel has seen some action. ;)

But, how are you going to get the bags of cement and sand out of the wheelie bin without tearing a muscle. :)

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Mines BIGGGER :cool:

Chip_TheViking

Vegvisir
Reaction score
that bastard of a bit you can't quite get to with the big trowel.
check out my tiny clay sculpting & oil painting trowels

Attachments

• gw4.JPG
    gw4.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • gw4t.JPG
    gw4t.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Stop getting kev all excited.... he's sticky enough as it is :oops:

Kev45

Reaction score
This is me guyz, on a job a few years ago finishing a concrete floor with a floating trowel. A technique that is a lot harder than it looks, and did you notice that there is no builders bum on show, not even a cheeky wink? In case you are wondering what is strapped on my boots, they are spikes, mainly for ease and no concrete clog, and of course safety on slippy floor layers. :rolleyes:

laying-floor-decorative-concrete-institute_1720.jpg

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
You're doing it wrong......... so wrong. This is how pro's like me and bum crack Coilin do it.

A real pro wears full ppe tooo

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
That there trowel has seen some action. ;)

But, how are you going to get the bags of cement and sand out of the wheelie bin without tearing a muscle. :)
Precisely! have you felt the weight of a bag of cement!? :eek: Rainwater has managed to ingress into the bin, and prodding the bags it feels like the cement has set in them. Even if I could get them out how would I get rid of them? So i'm stuck with an unusable green wheelie bin. :rolleyes:

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Precisely! have you felt the weight of a bag of cement!? :eek: Rainwater has managed to ingress into the bin, and prodding the bags it feels like the cement has set in them. Even if I could get them out how would I get rid of them? So i'm stuck with an unusable green wheelie bin. :rolleyes:

I am the only one who used bags of cement :rolleyes:

Getting them out of the bin is easy, The cement in paper bags, even if its set. Just stick the hose in the bin, flood it !! The paper will disintegrate after 24 hours. Then just tip the bin over and the whole lot should come out.

Once the mess dries out, bag it up and take it down the local tip.

You mite get lucky and find a skip near by, Just ask the owners if you can leave it there.

Kev45

Reaction score
Even if I could get them out how would I get rid of them?

Hint to your partner what his job is, and eventually he will load them in the boot of your car, or preferably his (no mess for you to clear up) :)

Check Facebook for a local community group, they are really useful when it comes to this sort of stuff and someone local will happily help out.

I would pay a man and a van, £20-£30 or whatever, to come and take them, far less hassle and because better his back is destroyed than yours or your partner. :rolleyes:

Kev45

Reaction score
c0538688-800px-wm.jpg

Here is another job I did in the garden, a small wall around what was to become a newly laid lawn/patio area.

Pretty neat work, right? :)

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
No its wrong on so many levels :oops:

You cant just put bricks on the ground and start building a wall :rolleyes:

The base is wrong, no footing. I cant see a string line and he's using mesh? Why? It wont do anything !!!
Coil mesh is a good idea normally but not on a garden wall. Its added for crack control.

That wall will sink or fall over when cat jumps on it. Kev will be known as a pussy killer o_O

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
No its wrong on so many levels :oops:

You cant just put bricks on the ground and start building a wall :rolleyes:

The base is wrong, no footing. I cant see a string line and he's using mesh? Why? It wont do anything !!!
Coil mesh is a good idea normally but not on a garden wall. Its added for crack control.

That wall will sink or fall over when cat jumps on it. Kev will be known as a pussy killer o_O

Like most of the things Kev says.
Foundations built on sand.
No real depth.
Simply stuff more into the cracks and hope it all stays upright.
Sounds a lot like his conversational style.

:eek:

Kev45

Reaction score
Says the MAD AS A HATTER sausage, who advices filling up an already heavy wheelie bin with water. Just to remove the paper on a bag of cement that has gone off. Which when pushed over (if you can push it over because you certainly will not be able to move it) will flood your garden with shitty water and shitty bits of soggy paper and shitty bits of cement. Which will also cause the wheelie bin to explode in a gore of deadly flying plastic shards in a hundred-mile radius. :)

Kev45

Reaction score
Like most of the things Kev says.
Foundations built on sand.
No real depth.
Simply stuff more into the cracks and hope it all stays upright.
Sounds a lot like his conversational style.

Nice to see the real you emerging from behind that creepy veneer of passive aggression.

Stalkers like you are gonna stalk. :)

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Nice to see the real you emerging from behind that creepy veneer of passive aggression.

Stalkers like you are gonna stalk. :)

Your welcome.
You seem to delight in castigating people on whatever you deem contrary to your self serving reinforcement of your own particular agenda or opinion.
I though for once I would return the favour.

You are actually correct, stalkers do stalk, as you just have, thank you ;)

Back