dating, online friendship

C

CrazyCatLady

You're fussy yet you ended up meeting someone from POF?
Somehow that doesn't make sense to me.
Lmao. I'm fussy NOW, BECAUSE of POF. I realised, if that was what was on offer, I'd rather be single.

C

CrazyCatLady

Not that I have used any dating sites, but I believe there are other options, other than POF online.
There are, but if I'm correct they are paid-for sites and I've never seen the point of paying to market myself. After going on a free dating site, you get the gist of what online dating is about. Fair enough, the 'calibre' may be different between paid-for and free sites, but it's the same process, which is advertising humans for dating. And in my experience, it felt soulless.
I'd rather attraction occur naturally, rather than scrolling through a site, like shopping in Argos.

C

CrazyCatLady

The 'calibre' is definitely different.
POF seems to be the pits of online dating.
I think it all depends on what you're looking for.
You ended up accepting a date with someone who was into BDSM - what did you expect .... for them to have a soul, too? lol

The mere fact they were into BDSM should have got bells ringing.
Hang on- I thought you were analysing my posts here? You've assumed that I knew about the BDSM before I went on a date with him.

David? Is that you?

BlackMagicBabeXx

“Shut your mouth when you’re talking to me.”
Reaction score
You're fussy yet you ended up meeting someone from POF?
Somehow that doesn't make sense to me.
I know people who have used POF and tbh they have all had really bad experiences with the guys they have met, Ive never actually heard of anyone meeting and having loving lasting relationship from POF I think there must be better dating sites than POF.

casiquaire

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I know people who have used POF and tbh they have all had really bad experiences with the guys they have met, Ive never actually heard of anyone meeting and having loving lasting relationship from POF I think there must be better dating sites than POF.
strangely enough my old boss met his current long term partner off pof and whereas im not suggesting thats the yardstick for all interaction, i also know that hes had previous bad experiences from it (being flaked on, finding out they were married, finding out they had other men on the go, not showing up for dates or changing times and dates). We actually had a conversation about it and we came to the conclusion that they key to working out whether youre absolutely wasting your time with it, is being able to identify early doors whether someones words are congruent with their behaviour and if it isnt, then you have your answer.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Met a guy off POF once. Had very abstract pictures and came across as a bit of a C U Next Tuesday, so of course to someone like me, he was intriguing and I was hooked. There were a few messages back and forth, before we met up, but it wasn't ages- a few weeks maybe. Anyway, met up with him and while he was a few pounds heavier and 10 years older than his pics, it was the same guy....and there was a 'twist' about him.
He was a complete BDSM freak...which in small doses can be fun, but when it's a whole lifestyle...nah thanks!
In short, I was too vanilla for him and he was back with the ex-mistress, as soon as her feet hit back on UK soil.

Haven't bothered to try online dating since and that was 15 years ago. In real life, I never go anywhere to meet anyone and I'm too bloody fussy anyway!
Sounds like your origin story on how you became CrazyCatLady lol.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
People have had good and bad experiences with online dating. One thing you have to realise is the types of people that use those sites and what they want from them. You have people who are genuinely looking for relationships, and on the other side you have casual hook ups.
And also, your profiles and profile pictures may give out the wrong impression. For example, if you're writing that you want a serious relationship, but then you have pictures with little to no clothing on or in provocative like positions, it kind of contradicts the profile you've written and you are more than likely to attract those types who want the quick fling. Another thing i see on profiles is when people write everything about their life and how important family is, and how they come first, and that's all good, but then the question is why you're on a dating site if dating comes last on your list of importance.

So i think profiles and how you present yourself matter. You attract certain types of men or women depending on your presentation.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

Ifthcardntsrt

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
With online dating , anything can go wrong at any time
I know the same happens with face to face dating , but there's way big a chance it can end just like that online before a meeting is even arranged
And meeting someone you've met online can be awkward obviously ! They might not be how you pictured them in any way.
People have lived with others for 50 odd years and still don't know every single thing about them , let alone someone you met online !
It's possible you may love the person you met online , but it doesn't guarantee that they're right for you
I’ve just read your post and it’s absolutely correct ammondo,
Even if not everyone else agrees. Well said.

TheBabayaga

Life is but a Dream within a dream
Reaction score
What in Tarnations is going owwwwwwwwn?

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
People have had good and bad experiences with online dating. One thing you have to realise is the types of people that use those sites and what they want from them. You have people who are genuinely looking for relationships, and on the other side you have casual hook ups.
And also, your profiles and profile pictures may give out the wrong impression. For example, if you're writing that you want a serious relationship, but then you have pictures with little to no clothing on or in provocative like positions, it kind of contradicts the profile you've written and you are more than likely to attract those types who want the quick fling. Another thing i see on profiles is when people write everything about their life and how important family is, and how they come first, and that's all good, but then the question is why you're on a dating site if dating comes last on your list of importance.

So i think profiles and how you present yourself matter. You attract certain types of men or women depending on your presentation.
I can always count on you to provide a sensible answer to most of the issues presented in the Forum. :)
You have summarised the online dating approach from all angles, from what I've read.
I particularly agree with the most common line I've constantly seen from the female contingent on dating sites: 'seeing my family and going out with my friends are my priority'; like there isn't any alternative! It sort of detracts from the full intent of looking for a companion.

C

CrazyCatLady

I can always count on you to provide a sensible answer to most of the issues presented in the Forum. :)
You have summarised the online dating approach from all angles, from what I've read.
I particularly agree with the most common line I've constantly seen from the female contingent on dating sites: 'seeing my family and going out with my friends are my priority'; like there isn't any alternative! It sort of detracts from the full intent of looking for a companion.
'Seeing my family and going out with my friends are my priority'- That's one of those lines that really means 'Look!!! People want to spend time with me! I'm popular!!!!'.
Unfortunately, mine reads 'Cat's love me; human's don't', but at least I'm honest.
A lot of women stick the friends and family line in, even if their only friends call them Sharon at the office kettle and their family didn't invite them to the last family funeral.

TheBabayaga

Life is but a Dream within a dream
Reaction score
Do what you will, put an advert in wherever you want but in the end you will meet someone just like you...souls sewn from the same cloth tend to levitate toward one another.

Back