Brexit - Second Referendum

franden

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
There is a possibility that there could be a second referendum. If there is I think many will be so disgusted with the way the talks have being going so far that there will be a massive vote to leave with no deal altogether. The majority voted to leave and I think those that voted to leave were under the impression that by voting to leave we would be free of the shackles of Brussels and not half in half out.
The whole business has been a real mess from start to finish.
Two years and still no closer to a solution.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
There is a possibility that there could be a second referendum. If there is I think many will be so disgusted with the way the talks have being going so far that there will be a massive vote to leave with no deal altogether. The majority voted to leave and I think those that voted to leave were under the impression that by voting to leave we would be free of the shackles of Brussels and not half in half out.
The whole business has been a real mess from start to finish.
Two years and still no closer to a solution.

That's true. That's what David Cameron and the government at the time, promised the electorate. £9 million of British tax payers money on pro-EU leaflets, designed to influence the vote. Remain were heavy favourites, just as was Hilary Clinton in 2016. No one ever dreamed Trump or Brexit would happen. This is why the "conspiracy" theories now hold some ground, the fact that capitulation has occurred. This is surrender of power.
The people who voted leave, may or may not have known who the EU were, or how much the organisation plays a big part in our lives.
The argument was that the UK has sovereignty, but what has unfolded, questions how much of that we actually have, because EU law supersedes British law, as we've come to understand throughout the negotiations. Even May's treaty, mentioned how we'll have a joint commission to make decisions on laws and rules that the UK will follow if the treaty agreement goes through. The EU has made it very clear though, without the treaty agreement, there will be no deal, and we leave on WTO. They pretty much get the house, the dog, the garden shed, the driveway and the car, but we still pay the bills even though we've so called "left" the EU.

DbFkDLaW4AET2VX.jpg

Reaction score
What may confuse things more is the existence of the Council of Europe or European Council. We'll still be part of that as it's a separate body from the EU, which concerns matters like human rights. We're not supposed to be leaving the CoE but considering in the past there's been mention of rewriting British Human Rights and then the disinformation coming out about what leaving the EU means, Brexit seems part of a bigger plan. I think the confusion going on at the moment is more for show so that people don't see what's really going on.

If I was going to guess I'd say the British people will lose something fairly important to them, either the EU will get the blame or we'll get told it isn't that important to us, then find out it is.

Last edited:

U_N_Owen

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
This second referendum/confirmatory vote whatever, the best thing is they are saying by law the result will be final. Well, should the Remainers lose again they wouldn't have the gall to call for a 3rd vote but should the Leavers lose this time it would stop them calling for a 3rd vote. what a marvellous stitch up!

An unusual term 'confirmatory vote' ........ confirm-a-tory vote.......... a subliminal message? however I shall be giving my valuable vote to Nigel's new Brexit party.

franden

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
This second referendum/confirmatory vote whatever, the best thing is they are saying by law the result will be final. Well, should the Remainers lose again they wouldn't have the gall to call for a 3rd vote but should the Leavers lose this time it would stop them calling for a 3rd vote. what a marvellous stitch up!

An unusual term 'confirmatory vote' ........ confirm-a-tory vote.......... a subliminal message? however I shall be giving my valuable vote to Nigel's new Brexit party.

franden

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
[/QUOT

No matter how many referendums we have we have a government that is determined to keep us tied one way or another into Europe. A No Deal has been ruled out so that means we will not be leaving the EU. T May will get her way in the end and we will never leave, even if a second referendum voted 99% leave. So we might as well accept it. This is a case of the winners (Those that voted Leave) being the losers.

B

Bad_Influence

IF there's a 2nd referendum there will be uproar if the choice to remain is on the ballot paper. That much has already been decided and the majority voted to leave. If they have 3 options... Remain, Leave with TM's deal, or Leave with no deal, you can bet your bottom dollar that Remain would get more votes than either of the other two options but fewer than them both combined. The Gov't would then just say Remain won... end of story. We are being conned.... and if it wasn't so serious it would be funny. I can see civil unrest in our future and I certainly won't be shocked... the public will only take so many lies, so much of being ignored, and so much of being taken for idiots before they see no other way than to stand their ground.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

It's a stitch up. It will be May's treaty(which is remaining but a lot worse) or Remain(which lost in 2016) which means no leave options on the ballot. It would be an absolute disgrace, and i could see boycotts of that referendum. This means Remain wins either way, which is what they want. This is why they said that this vote would be "binding" in choice. It's a scam.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
It's what you call...Deceit, in the most profound sense of the word.

Deceit on the British Public.

Democracy...What in BRITAIN?...! Not a chance.

Reaction score
Its a shambles, councils around the UK have to phone the Government twice a day to update them on whatevers happened and Westminster still hasn't sorted out the replacement for the EU funding which the poor area's will lose, which is making it apparent there won't be any replacement funding or there won't be any UK leaving the EU. May's treaty for leaving the EU certainly didn't come from the UK, we'd lose more than we'd gain and she's postponing the exit date for as long as she can so its becoming clear that the EU has some hold over Westminster. Seeing the turkeys running around in circles disagreeing with one another I wouldn't think its hard to get a hold over this Government.

ladymuck

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Surely the election of the MEPs was the equivalent of another referendum? The result indicates that the country is still split 50/50. If there were another one, and the result was 'Remain', presumably that would be the end of Brexit. So the British government will abide by a result which suits them. What sort of democracy is that?

B

Bad_Influence

There cannot be another referendum. The powers that be know it would signal the end if democracy. That said, I believe the result would be the same, with a larger margin of victory for Leave. The main issues is, and has always been, that the EU were never going to negotiate, they know that letting the UK leave is just the first step in the dismantling of the EU Superstate. We will be the first to leave, we will not be the last.

ladymuck

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I voted Leave, and now that I know more about what being in the EU means for Britain and, considering how the EU leaders have treated us, I feel even more strongly in favour of leaving. I wonder how many people who voted Remain have been influenced to change their minds by the contempt the other EU countries have shown towards the British?

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
I don't believe this statement is correct.
I think mainland Europe will hold.
British politics is badly broken.

To even think about a 2nd referendum after the people have decided is wrong.
The word referendum itself will become meaningless.

To hold a referendum in the first place and not giving your people the correct information to vote on was incorrect.
A lot of British people i have spoken with thought it would mean the end of the " Free movement of people" when this was never going to be the case.

I have already suffered racial abuse.

If Brexit goes through i will return to Portugal.
Many will follow.
I don't usually talk politics as i find it utterly boring.

But that's my take on it.

Happy weekends :):)

B

Bad_Influence

I don't believe this statement is correct.
I think mainland Europe will hold.
British politics is badly broken.

To even think about a 2nd referendum after the people have decided is wrong.
The word referendum itself will become meaningless.

To hold a referendum in the first place and not giving your people the correct information to vote on was incorrect.
A lot of British people i have spoken with thought it would mean the end of the " Free movement of people" when this was never going to be the case.

I have already suffered racial abuse.

If Brexit goes through i will return to Portugal.
Many will follow.
I don't usually talk politics as i find it utterly boring.

But that's my take on it.

Happy weekends :):)

You're Portuguese, you are part of the problem. :D:D:D:D lol

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score

JJ50

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Brexit is a HUGE mistake, imo, Britain is a very tiny country unable to stand alone these days. I doubt there will be a second referendum, though.

B

Bad_Influence

Brexit is a HUGE mistake, imo, Britain is a very tiny country unable to stand alone these days. I doubt there will be a second referendum, though.

Unable to stand alone? You have got to be from Europe?? Us Brits are more than confident we can't flourish without being dragged down by the unelected, cash-sinkhole that is the EU. Don't underestimate the British ability to stick two fingers up and prove we are strong enough.

Back