The truth will do!

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Instead of toppling the statues of our noted forebears, why not allow them to continue with their exaggerated postures but...bearing a new plaque.
Tell the truth about them. Let new generations see them for what they were instead of the heroic figures the world is given.
They should not be forgiven. or lauded, but exposed as the slave traders, the monsters they were.
It should also be recorded that Edward Colston was also a huge benefactor to the people of Bristol; the very city is beholden to him.

Last edited:

Azzbo

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder how many of the BLM protesters are wearing clothes made in a sweatshop.

there are more people in slavery today than were extracted from Africa over 400 years of the transatlantic slave trade, but yeah lets go topple that ancient statue to show what good people we are.

ChloePsych

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Bristol isn't beholden to Colston.

Thats like saying if the bloke who mugged your mum bought you a pint with the money he must be an ok bloke.

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score

Thats like saying if the bloke who mugged your mum bought you a pint with the money he must be an ok bloke.

Only if you were not aware of his misdemeanour.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Rome invaded britain, made many Brits into slaves. hadrians wall? should be pulled down, use the stone build houses for the homeless. yes?

Don't worry, we'll see that any building or statue built by unpaid and oppressed people are torn down forthwith.

Be patient: this might take a little time.

:rolleyes:

BasildonBond

UKChat Expert
Reaction score

I think Bristol is more beholden to Bernie Clifton. After all HE was the one who built its lovely suspension bridge over the Avon.

J

Jo_King

nice point. got me thinking, first time for everything. lol if Hitler had developed cure for cancer would we have used it? think so
I think Bristol is more beholden to Bernie Clifton. After all HE was the one who built its lovely suspension bridge over the Avon.
no statue for Bernie, nor for his emu?, this is an outrage, total disgrace.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
The people of Bristol were aware of where his money came from.

I was actually responding to your errant analogy. I never mentioned Bristol or anyone who was connected with Bristol.

Might I also point out that NO DEMOCRATIC process was involved in the removal of the statue concerned.

If the democratic process is not followed, then anarchy will prevail.

ChloePsych

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I was actually responding to your errant analogy. I never mentioned Bristol or anyone who was connected with Bristol.

Might I also point out that NO DEMOCRATIC process was involved in the removal of the statue concerned.

If the democratic process is not followed, then anarchy will prevail.

It was the will of the people. Democracy in action in its most basic form.

Billyliar

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
There is a pub in bristol called the golden guinea.
It is called this, because there was tunnels from the harbour, to the pub, and slaves were sold in the basement for a guinea.
The tunnels under redcliffe, were they were kept are still open now.
Any of you heard of a guy called isambard brunel?
No relation to the sultan btw.
The hells angels protected our war memorial here yesterday, why anybody would want to attack that is beyond me.
Oh what days are these?

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
It is called this, because there was tunnels from the harbour, to the pub, and slaves were sold in the basement for a guinea.
The hells angels protected our war memorial here yesterday, why anybody would want to attack that is beyond me.
Oh what days are these?

Isambard Kingdom Brunel was, not surprisingly, considered one of Britain's Greatest people in a fairly recent television poll.
He is bound to be another target of perverted iconoclasts.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
It was the will of the people. Democracy in action in its most basic form.

Don't be ridiculous!
I have already stated what the basis of this action was.
If you did not understand that, then you are sadly lacking in intelligence.
'Reactionary and irrational snowflake' comes to mind.

:rolleyes:

BasildonBond

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
nice point. got me thinking, first time for everything. lol if Hitler had developed cure for cancer would we have used it? think so

Excuse me! Emu? tsk Clifton's ostrich would turn in its (much larger) grave. Remember, it's Bristol we're talking about here, not Hull! :)

Billyliar

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I must agree wicked, how long before brunel is targeted.
The people who worked on his projects in the 1800s, would have been lucky to get a slice of bread as a days wage.
Without a doubt one of the greatest minds ever.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

Bernie didt have Emu that was Rod Hull. Bernie Clifton had an ostrich.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Oh what days are these?

The famous engineer, Isambard Kingdom Brunel, played a key role in Britain's industrial revolution, designing and constructing railway lines, bridges, tunnels and docks around the country, as well as providing massive advances in naval architecture.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Excuse me! Emu? tsk Clifton's ostrich would turn in its (much larger) grave. Remember, it's Bristol we're talking about here, not Hull! :)

One of the most amusing posts in a fair while.
Keep up the good work.

P. S. It's going a bridge too far, isn't it? The 'Clifton' Suspension, that is.

:)

Back