Your preferred type of humour: Ironic, sardonic, satirical,acerbic, sarcastic or paradoxical?

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
My humour is lost in chat rooms....or I'm not funny?

I've never witnessed your humour but that is irrelevant to the subject in question. If I do witness you to be funny, then I will certainly let you know.

Lex51

Howdy ya'll
Reaction score
Hey yall it's humor where I come from and I think I lost mine at the BA baggage carousel. While we are on the subject how is it grocery carts are called trolleys? I am still trying to get used to all four wheels being rotative. In the states the two back wheels on the cart are static so you can steer it. Here, I'm in the grocery store going sideways, banging into other trolleys, knocking things off the shelf and making a general nuisance of myself without really trying.

W

Wren

Hey yall it's humor where I come from and I think I lost mine at the BA baggage carousel. While we are on the subject how is it grocery carts are called trolleys? I am still trying to get used to all four wheels being rotative. In the states the two back wheels on the cart are static so you can steer it. Here, I'm in the grocery store going sideways, banging into other trolleys, knocking things off the shelf and making a general nuisance of myself without really trying.
Lol hard at that thought
God bless ...the supermarket
Observations of CCTV isn't such a boring job in thoughts afterall :)

W

Wren

As humour plays such a massive part in Chat room, not to mention Forum banter, I wondered what type of humour people preferred to use in chat.
Personally, I try to use all the above forms as I think various situations give rise to different humour formats.
Irony certainly seems to be given plenty of opportunity and therefore tends to get employed quite frequently.
I think this is primarily because some chatters unwittingly chat about matters they evidently seem ignorant of.
Sarcasm probably comes in a close second because of the nature and subject matter often deployed in chat and the abundant opportunity to use it.
Sardonic, acerbic and satirical humour seem to get less exposure now, quite possibly because they operate on a more intellectual level, which is not populist.
However, paradoxical wit is practically obsolete these days. A real shame, because when used at the right time, it can be truly devastating and pithy.
I think wit is the driving force of chat and its importance should never be underestimated.
What do you think?
Can't u just type in green.. Ur difficult to read

Humour....not sure on that , comedy , canned laughter...eh, if it was funny it wouldn't need a storage cupboard or a tin opener.

Also funny things are usually seen by another (the one who finds it funny) and the person who just caused the laughter is most liked ouched. That's all.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Who needs supermarts? I am picking my own grown tomatoes.

manderson27

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Sarcasm for sure I don't know why it is sometimes called "The lowest form of wit" I think it is more a lost art form. I don't think a lot of people know how to take sarcasm and often just take offense and call it mean. I also like the unexpected and random, people like Eddie Izzard really make me laugh.

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
Eddie Izzard is as funny as a sh**-load of monkeys.
Is that sarcasm?

Surely a man cross-dressing and wearing lipstick has to be regarded as funny.
There has always been room for a camp comedian because they have traditionally been 'comic characters'; like clowns in Shakespeare.
However, if the humorous content of what he and a lot of modern, alleged comedians purvey is the gauge of comedy, then I must agree that he is not funny.
Your comment was not sarcastic. It was a seemingly honest and factual response.

xxwhite_dovexx

Hello from Florida! Be thankful !
Reaction score
Eddie Izzard is as funny as a sh**-load of monkeys.
Is that sarcasm?
Eddie Izzard is educational yet funny ! lol one of my fav's

xxwhite_dovexx

Hello from Florida! Be thankful !
Reaction score
Spontaneous Humour, the kind that comes out of nowhere and often at the most inappropriate times does tend to be the kind that makes you laugh the hardest
Yay for spontaneity!! Good choice ☺️

Beelzebub

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Different people different mentality, I'm much more in to sarcastic or dark humor. Much to my family's distaste

barryfromgoole

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
cant beat a bit of good old chubby brown ....and the old working mens club comedians plus pie and peas ..

barryfromgoole

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
hi white dove ..oh ! yes its a british thing and not one if you dont like bad language ..its mainly in the north of england , well it was until most of the clubs have closed down ..take care ..

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I like satire because it exposes someone's weakness, even if that character is portrayed as someone who is strong on the surface. It's those weaknesses and vulnerabilities which give us the viewer an opportunity to enjoy those characters. A great example is Del Boy. Someone who on the surface seems like a wealthy individual, but when the layers are removed we learn that he is just that young lad who was abandoned by his father.
All the bravado and brash confidence, is just a front. But that's who Del Boy is. He's a character who is heavily flawed in his character, but one thing he has is that he cares about his family, which is something people can relate to. It humanises the character.

Back