Your preferred type of humour: Ironic, sardonic, satirical,acerbic, sarcastic or paradoxical?

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
As humour plays such a massive part in Chat room, not to mention Forum banter, I wondered what type of humour people preferred to use in chat.
Personally, I try to use all the above forms as I think various situations give rise to different humour formats.
Irony certainly seems to be given plenty of opportunity and therefore tends to get employed quite frequently.
I think this is primarily because some chatters unwittingly chat about matters they evidently seem ignorant of.
Sarcasm probably comes in a close second because of the nature and subject matter often deployed in chat and the abundant opportunity to use it.
Sardonic, acerbic and satirical humour seem to get less exposure now, quite possibly because they operate on a more intellectual level, which is not populist.
However, paradoxical wit is practically obsolete these days. A real shame, because when used at the right time, it can be truly devastating and pithy.
I think wit is the driving force of chat and its importance should never be underestimated.
What do you think?

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
You assume everyone online has a sense of humour. :rolleyes: I have a Grim Reaper, sarcastic soh and try to find amusement in every situation, which often got me into bother in a chat room. For example, someone could say a certain reg is in hospital with a heart attack and you could reply "You sure it's not just for an ingrowing toe nail?" half the room turns on you and zap - you're on 'gardening leave' (banned). :(

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I think that if you have a sense of humour, which is probably the thing you need most in this disturbed world, You will survive most of it's distractions.
There are people who we may call humourless. and I so feel for them for theirs is a difficult passage through the years, taking umbrage at all that is said and not understanding,,, not understanding.
How awful!

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
You assume everyone online has a sense of humour. :rolleyes: I have a Grim Reaper, sarcastic soh and try to find amusement in every situation, which often got me into bother in a chat room. For example, someone could say a certain reg is in hospital with a heart attack and you could reply "You sure it's not just for an ingrowing toe nail?" half the room turns on you and zap - you're on 'gardening leave' (banned). :(

Thanks for your response. Much appreciated.
Actually, I DO NOT think that every chatter has a sense of humour and that is why when certain types of it are used they take offence rather than see the 'funny' side of things. Perhaps the current climate has produced a more defensive sort of chatter.
I find some screen names humorous and are a source of laughter. I mean, when you refer yourself as a dead person, what else can you expect?
I forgot to include the use of the simple pun as a humorous device. Always versatile if you appreciate wordplay, like myself.
Oh, 'gardening leave' (lol). That's an excellent euphemism. I like euphemisms and double entendres. They are worthwhile alternatives.
I will be amused we are the only people to give our views on this topic. ;)

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. Much appreciated.
Actually, I DO NOT think that every chatter has a sense of humour and that is why when certain types of it are used they take offence rather than see the 'funny' side of things. Perhaps the current climate has produced a more defensive sort of chatter.
I find some screen names humorous and are a source of laughter. I mean, when you refer yourself as a dead person, what else can you expect?
I forgot to include the use of the simple pun as a humorous device. Always versatile if you appreciate wordplay, like myself.
Oh, 'gardening leave' (lol). That's an excellent euphemism. I like euphemisms and double entendres. They are worthwhile alternatives.
I will be amused we are the only people to give our views on this topic. ;)

Yup! I expect the aforementioned will take a dim view!!!

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Fewer chatters have a sense of humour than think they have.

And, may I ask on what you base that observation?
Always remember that there is a time and a place for humour, with emphasis particularly on the former.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
OOOH! That's funny.

As I said, there's a time and a place.
You should adhere to the tenet of the question in future.

BasildonBond

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Fewer chatters have a sense of humour than think they have.
Senses of humour are very individual. I bought mine off e-bay recently after my previous one got lost somewhere in a long-term relationship. Yes, I know, there were no other bidders for it, but I felt sorry for it sitting there unloved and alone, and I got it for next to nothing so I can hardly complain.

xxwhite_dovexx

Hello from Florida! Be thankful !
Reaction score
"

As humour plays such a massive part in Chat room, not to mention Forum banter, I wondered what type of humour people preferred to use in chat.
I think wit is the driving force of chat and its importance should never be underestimated.
What do you think?
Irony certainly seems to be given plenty of opportunity and therefore tends to get employed quite frequently.
I think this is primarily because some chatters unwittingly chat about matters they evidently seem ignorant of.
Sarcasm probably comes in a close second because of the nature and subject matter often deployed in chat and the abundant opportunity to use it.
Sardonic, acerbic and satirical humour seem to get less exposure now, quite possibly because they operate on a more intellectual level, which is not populist.
However, paradoxical wit is practically obsolete these days. A real shame, because when used at the right time, it can be truly devastating and pithy.

Personally, I try to use all the above forms as I think various situations give rise to different humour formats."

This seem better than the first ....jus say'n .....do yall actually spell humor with an extra "u"??

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
"

This seem better than the first ....jus say'n .....do yall actually spell humor with an extra "u"??

First what exactly?
In the U.K. it is normal practise to use a u in most words ending in 'our'. For example: humour, colour, favour and demeanour.
Don't expect this practice to change just because it is unfamiliar territory to you.
Another bone of contention is the spelling of night and tonight increasingly being spelt as 'nite' and 'tonite'!!!
The spellchecker itself does NOT approve of these spellings, which is IRONIC.
;)

xxwhite_dovexx

Reaction score
First what exactly?
In the U.K. it is normal practise to use a u in most words ending in 'our'. For example: humour, colour, favour and demeanour.
Don't expect this practice to change just because it is unfamiliar territory to you.
Another bone of contention is the spelling of night and tonight increasingly being spelt as 'nite' and 'tonite'!!!
The spellchecker itself does NOT approve of these spellings, which is IRONIC.
;)
Plz dont be so condescending ! i never thought of a change i just thought its either a misspell or just British vocabulary

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Plz dont be so condescending ! i never thought of a change i just thought its either a misspell or just British vocabulary

My dear woman, we invented the ******* language!

BasildonBond

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
"

What do you think?

Personally, I try to use all the above forms as I think various situations give rise to different humour formats."

Cripes Dove....your reply would grace a university thesis on humour. How very comprehensive of you. Carry on like this and you'll get a susstifikat from the learned WP no less!

xxwhite_dovexx

Reaction score
Cripes Dove....your reply would grace a university thesis on humour. How very comprehensive of you. Carry on like this and you'll get a susstifikat from the learned WP no less!
dont know what happened there ??!! it was supposed to be a reply to his post and some how it lost the QUOTE .....go figure ..i dont intentionally plagiarize ! seriously lol

S

Sardonicsmile

Personally, I try to use all the above forms as I think various situations give rise to different humour formats.
What do you think?
My humour is lost in chat rooms....or I'm not funny?

Back