Why is dementia being misportrayed in film and on television?

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I add my pence worth I have watch a lovely kind well mannered i do anything for you man be come a old bad tempered b****rd, not his
fault its this nasty disease , that has eaten away at his brain , It taken it toll on a of us as a family , My youngest daughter the most she struggled for last year keeping him safe , till got to pint he was abusive to her and i have had to step in and put him in a home . We visit he don't know whom we are but we wont leave him with no visitors.
If acting profession can show what it is to have it then bring it on I say ,
Plenty of money went into Aides research once it became more common even though it was mainly limited to a small section of our community. Just saying .

B

Bad_Influence

I can`t agree about all those management levels but i agree with anything to give us a wonderful NHS as the actual theory ,in my opinion, is great.
Why can’t you agree regarding the number of management levels within the NHS?

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
In answer to your original question bad, yes sometimes people with dementia imagine a separate history for themselves, it's relatively rare but it does happen.
Heard of a case in Russia of a man who's brother went to war, he didn't as he was to young but lived through what he thought it was like due to depression then dementia.
Usually it's due to early childhood dreams they cling to throughout life, although this is possibly conjecture due to the difficulty of questioning those suffering.
Hence corroboration is difficult, but possible if someone cared enough to do it.

As for the usual "Let the Rich fund it".. lol
Yeah we see Bill Gates heading into 10 Downing Street to discuss vaccines.
Ever simply followed the money, B & M Gates Foundation has made millions from this Pandemic.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Why can’t you agree regarding the number of management levels within the NHS?
Sorry if i worded it in the wrong way. What i mean is i can`t approve of there being ridiculously high management levels . My English isn`t noteworthy but generally i can understand and appreciate other diction quite well .

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
In answer to your original question bad, yes sometimes people with dementia imagine a separate history for themselves, it's relatively rare but it does happen.
Heard of a case in Russia of a man who's brother went to war, he didn't as he was to young but lived through what he thought it was like due to depression then dementia.
Usually it's due to early childhood dreams they cling to throughout life, although this is possibly conjecture due to the difficulty of questioning those suffering.
Hence corroboration is difficult, but possible if someone cared enough to do it.

Ever simply followed the money, B & M Gates Foundation has made millions from this Pandemic.
I don`t mind the likes of Bill Gates making lots of money out of research as long as he ploughs the amounts back into yet more research!

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
It`s disgusting that on a comparitively small Forum as this one there can be quite a lot of examples of people and carers suffering due to Dementia or similar conditions. I still think that more money should go into more research into the causes/treatments. I don`t think i`ll live to see the benefits but a few here might .

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score

I don't think it was Bad_Influence who asked the question. It is in the title of the thread that I posted.
That aside, I would argue that the percentage of people who regress to an unlikely status or persona is minimal.

Even allegedly sane people have claimed to be someone of importance, for instance in past life regression and metempsychosis.
I still hold to my theory as it seems to me the most sensible outcome, especially in relation to the film.
I'm bemused how funding research into dementia has moved the tenet of the original subject. That, of course, is an entirely different matter.

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
Nobody can form an opinion regarding the actual film until it is released later this month.

Edit: Released in the UK on June 11.

Last edited:

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
Nobody can form an opinion regarding the actual film until it is released later this month.

Edit: Released in the UK on June 11.
I have already stated upon what I based MY opinion and why I started this thread. It is not only relating to the film but also the unlikelihood of a change in an adopted persona of a dementia sufferer.
In any case, I will probably only watch this film in order to further confirm my belief. Otherwise, I don't think I would find it in the least meritorious judging from what I saw in the trailer I mentioned.

B

Bad_Influence

Sorry if i worded it in the wrong way. What i mean is i can`t approve of there being ridiculously high management levels . My English isn`t noteworthy but generally i can understand and appreciate other diction quite well .
Fair enough. I’ll see what I can find (another day) to emphasise my point. If I find nothing I’ll say so but if I do find something I hop to
I don't think it was Bad_Influence who asked the question. It is in the title of the thread that I posted.
That aside, I would argue that the percentage of people who regress to an unlikely status or persona is minimal.

Even allegedly sane people have claimed to be someone of importance, for instance in past life regression and metempsychosis.
I still hold to my theory as it seems to me the most sensible outcome, especially in relation to the film.
I'm bemused how funding research into dementia has moved the tenet of the original subject. That, of course, is an entirely different matter.
Even when proved to be wrong you won’t admit it. Your arrogance is embarrassing.

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
I will probably only watch this film in order to further confirm my belief.

The film is based on the author's personal experience. The film has not been "sexed"up to attract a wider audience. I will watch it with an open mind because it is an accurate portrayal of dementia, warts and all.

JaymiCB73

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
i would agree with you. I have found in work and personally, that the person has a better capacity to remember themselves in the past than in the present. I have not met a person with dementia that believes they are anything but themselves.
I think there are many movies which portray dementia poorly. The Notebook for instance.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
We're still a nation where stigma still lingers when it concerns mental health in general. We tend to sympathise and show empathy towards those people who suffer from dementia and PTS, but we don't seem to treat depression in the same light. Until we start taking brain disorders seriously, and treat them all with compassion, we won't make the progress that's needed. And we're against the clock.
When it concerns the topic at hand, dementia, my later father showed a lot of signs of early dementia(he was only 55), he could become aggressive and snappy, not know who he was, and would stare off into space when you tried to make conversation.
I would like to see an option for people where they can opt for an euthanasia clause, where they have the option of deciding whether or not to end their life if they do come down with dementia. I know that's someone i would want personally, and would want to see others given that option if they choose to do so.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

Sorry WP, it wasn't bad's original post lol

The point does stand though, it is rare that people create a new persona for themselves in their "demented" state.
Whereas in their "Normal" state they can appear very similar to how people remember them.
However, there are several points that should be thought about.
1.How the change in persona effects the sufferer i.e the psychological effect of the confusion.
2.How the change in persona effects those around them, again the randomly occurring (?) confusion.
3.The subjective expectations of those around them based on pre-conceived idea's and knowledge.
4.The lack of scientific understanding of the condition.
5.The difficulty in questioning a narrative, perhaps a Demented state is a form of PTSD for example.
6.The way in which dementia is measured, chronicled and documented.

Thats just off the top of my head, pretty sure there's a sh** loads more reasons why people don't understand Dementia, the state, the condition or the malady.

Back