Why is dementia being misportrayed in film and on television?

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
Historically UK government, and particularly this current tory shambles, do not value the care sector, do not value the clients, and do not value care workers within the sector.

During the pandemic staff in the sector worked, unnoticed, above and beyond what is required of them due to staff shortages (self-isolation etc). All the media attention was on the NHS.

OAPs with dementia and other long-term enduring conditions were released from hospital without being tested for Covid (as well as positive diagnosis) as the NHS freed up beds and which then swept through care homes decimating the lives of 1,000s of OAPs. This was mainly all done in 'secret' and whistleblowers within the sector were immediately threatened with sanctions. It was government-sponsored genocide on a huge scale.

The UK MSM however seems more interested in where Boris got his curtains from rather than the deliberate genocide of OAPs.

That sums up attitudes in the UK.

A large majority don't give a sh** about OAPs in general nor the care sector outside their personal bubbles and government advisors are well aware of this and which is why the sector, in general, has been historically starved of vital funding and extra resources.

If The Father raises awareness of any of these issues that can only be a positive move. Personally, I think the general release next month is too early and any publicity will be swept away as more relaxed Covid restrictions take centre stage.

Last edited:

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
All research is under-funded. Where would you suggest the funds come from? Cancer research perhaps? Whichever you choose I’m sure others would disagree. This is a sad fact, and one that is unlikely to change. There is only so much money in the national pot, and there will always be people believing they deserve there share more than others. That’s human nature.
I`m sure this country has enough Billionaires to hand out a few million quid each without breaking their banks ?
I may be wrong but i think that if the curse of Dementia cn be lifted then it would be possible to link it to a few other Medical problems such as Cancers ,etc, which can help all of these.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I think above dementia research (given it is essentially brain damage) there should be legal reviews around the right to end life and powers of attorney and care, when you are in the midst of caring with someone with dementia you realise that our current system (I am speaking about the UK) does not cater for the best needs of the sufferer.

particularly with my grandfather he was a remarkable man and had an incredible life - his final years were heartbreaking and he became a danger to himself and those around him.
I`m very sorry to hear about your grandfather and hope that others can feel the empathy for him and you. At this moment i am fine as far as Brain goes ,apart from loss of memory ( which i think we all suffer at any age ?).However i don`t approve of compulsary Euthanasia.Maybe i will change my mind given time ,maybe not .

xxwhite_dovexx

Hello from Florida! Be thankful !
Reaction score
Wow another Essay! I could quote the DSM ( american diagnostic and statistical manual of mental health) but it would be boring.
There are several subtypes of dementia , so I am sure they are aware.
Much love !

B

Bad_Influence

I`m sure this country has enough Billionaires to hand out a few million quid each without breaking their banks ?
I may be wrong but i think that if the curse of Dementia cn be lifted then it would be possible to link it to a few other Medical problems such as Cancers ,etc, which can help all of these.
Why should billionaires cough up for it? They have built their businesses (Or inherited them) and you want them to pay for everything? I don’t understand why people think that just because someone has more money than most, they should pay towards the upkeep of others. In my opinion, expecting others to empty their pockets to fund medical research just because the country can’t afford it, is very naive. Do you want them to donate to cancer research, or dementia, or mental health, or heart disease, or racism, or help the aged (or whatever it’s called now), or veterans, or cot death, or covid. See the problem?
Or do you want others to pay for literally everything.
Please do not think this is a personal attack, it’s not. What it is is real life.

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score

Absolutely there should be a Covid tax. Billionaires such as Jeff Bezos saw his personal wealth grow by £24 billion and counting during the Covid crisis and although initially, he wouldn't even provide his low-paid workforce with adequate PPE protection.

The cost of dementia to the UK is currently £35 billion a year.

The government spent £400 + million of public money in partnership with the private sector to subsidize Covid research and the subsequent clinical trials and due to the vast amounts of cash and resources poured into the project vaccines were quickly ready and widely available compared to the 'norm'.

My point is if the same philosophy was applied to dementia and a cure or a way to slow it down was discovered it would potentially save the British economy £35 billion a year.

Not only does it make financial sense it is also a moral issue.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Absolutely there should be a Covid tax. Billionaires such as Jeff Bezos saw his personal wealth grow by £24 billion and counting during the Covid crisis and although initially, he wouldn't even provide his low-paid workforce with adequate PPE protection.

The cost of dementia to the UK is currently £35 billion a year.

The government spent £400 + million of public money in partnership with the private sector to subsidize Covid research and the subsequent clinical trials and due to the vast amounts of cash and resources poured into the project vaccines were quickly ready and widely available compared to the 'norm'.

My point is if the same philosophy was applied to dementia and a cure or a way to slow it down was discovered it would potentially save the British economy £35 billion a year.

Not only does it make financial sense it is also a moral issue.
I must laugh now . Do you actually think that BadInfluence has any morals when it comes to Health or Wealth ? Does he hell ! Hes a Thatcher child of the worst sort. " Look after Number 1",her motto and "***** everyone else". It won`t happen but i would really like to know the background of Bad ,with regard to the wealth & ideals of his parents ,etc .

Last edited:

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Why should billionaires cough up for it? They have built their businesses (Or inherited them) and you want them to pay for everything? I don’t understand why people think that just because someone has more money than most, they should pay towards the upkeep of others. In my opinion, expecting others to empty their pockets to fund medical research just because the country can’t afford it, is very naive. Do you want them to donate to cancer research, or dementia, or mental health, or heart disease, or racism, or help the aged (or whatever it’s called now), or veterans, or cot death, or covid. See the problem?
Or do you want others to pay for literally everything.
Please do not think this is a personal attack, it’s not. What it is is real life.
You`d have 10 year old kids pushed up chimneys to clean them if you had your way eh Bad ? I can`t quote percentages but i`m pretty sure that a very small percentage of the population owns a very large percentage of the Nation`s Wealth.I won`t see it but that`s a recipe for revolution if ever there was one . Oh you are so right about "real life" but that could alter in a breath of wind if people got a special leader.

B

Bad_Influence

You`d have 10 year old kids pushed up chimneys to clean them if you had your way eh Bad ? I can`t quote percentages but i`m pretty sure that a very small percentage of the population owns a very large percentage of the Nation`s Wealth.I won`t see it but that`s a recipe for revolution if ever there was one . Oh you are so right about "real life" but that could alter in a breath of wind if people got a special leader.
I have no idea how you made the leap from my comment to kids up chimneys. That’s bizarre.

But yes a small percentage have a large percentage of the wealth. That always the case.
If we divided the total amount of money in the country between the population today, many would squander their new-found wealth and we would, without doubt, find that a small percentage ends up with the vast amount. Some people are just go-getters, some aren’t, and in my experience those born into money are far nicer people than those who once had nothing and suddenly became rich. The ones born into it are far likely to be more altruistic than those who are not used to it.
There has always been, and will always be, the haves and the have nots. THAT is the reality.
I assume you think everyone should be helping India right now, what with the virus hitting so hard? To that I say sod that. In 2018 we sent £98 million to India. What was it spent on? I can tell you none of the poorer citizens saw a penny of it but their government can finance a space program. Charity begins at home, and it shouldn’t be financed only by the rich just because they are rich.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bad_Influence

I must laugh now . Do you actually think that BadInfluence has any morals when it comes to Health or Wealth ? Does he hell ! Hes a Thatcher child of the worst sort. " Look after Number 1",her motto and "***** everyone else". It won`t happen but i would really like to know the background of Bad ,with regard to the wealth & ideals of his parents ,etc .
You are right. I do believe in a meritocracy. If you want it, earn it.

And you are also correct, you knowing anything about me will never happen. Just as you wouldn’t (and rightly so) share anything about you here that you don’t want to.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I have no idea how you made the leap from my comment to kids up chimneys. That’s bizarre.

But yes a small percentage have a large percentage of the wealth. That always the case.
If we divided the total amount of money in the country between the population today, many would squander their new-found wealth and we would, without doubt, find that a small percentage ends up with the vast amount. Some people are just go-getters, some aren’t, and in my experience those born into money are far nicer people than those who once had nothing and suddenly became rich. The ones born into it are far likely to be more altruistic than those who are not used to it.
There has always been, and will always be, the haves and the have nots. THAT is the reality.
I assume you think everyone should be helping India right now, what with the virus hitting so hard? To that I say sod that. In 2018 we sent £98 million to India. What was it spent on? I can tell you none of the poorer citizens saw a penny of it but their government can finance a space program. Charity begins at home, and it shouldn’t be financed only by the rich just because they are rich.
I`m glad that you at least realise that there are people who are needy . Surely it makes sense that people who have everything share their wealth with those who have nothing . I think i have read that Bill Gates donates a lot of money to needy charities ; i admire any filthy rich person who does that and i agree that most of the really rich people who got it the easy way are nicer people than those who made it the hard way.
To cut this short ,you know % well so can you tell me if a person with £ 10 billion was to lose £9 billion overnight would they suddenly become poor ?

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
You are right. I do believe in a meritocracy. If you want it, earn it.

And you are also correct, you knowing anything about me will never happen. Just as you wouldn’t (and rightly so) share anything about you here that you don’t want to.
How can a large organisation such as the NHS "earn" what they need ? It needs large sums of money injected into it and the best source i can think of for such large sums is filthy rich people who ( honestly !!) can afford to lose a lot of their wealth.
I understand your right to privacy but i`m happy to say that i was born into a very poor family ,with my Father being killed in Germany and still there ;fighting for the rights of very rich people here who were making yet more cash on the Wartime black market.
I`m still not rich ,having worked as hard as anyone who claims to have, for all my life. Earn ,in your sense ,means "aquIre" not necessary go out and work for it . I`m sure you understand this working in the business that you do.

B

Bad_Influence

How can a large organisation such as the NHS "earn" what they need ? It needs large sums of money injected into it and the best source i can think of for such large sums is filthy rich people who ( honestly !!) can afford to lose a lot of their wealth.
I understand your right to privacy but i`m happy to say that i was born into a very poor family ,with my Father being killed in Germany and still there ;fighting for the rights of very rich people here who were making yet more cash on the Wartime black market.
I`m still not rich ,having worked as hard as anyone who claims to have, for all my life. Earn ,in your sense ,means "aquIre" not necessary go out and work for it . I`m sure you understand this working in the business that you do.
Most research is not carried out by the NHS but either by the main pharmaceutical companies, or by charitable organisations.

To earn it I meant what I said, you choose to think I mean ‘acquire’ whereas I actually meant ‘earn’. Whether that be by manual work or by using what is between your ears, and letting others do the tough stuff. Please stop assuming and twisting My words just to fit your opinion of me.
Finally all you need to know is that I’ve done my time in jobs of manual labour, 12 or 16 hour days, working outside in all weather, or in factories. Now I use my brain. I can tell you now it’s a damned sight easier as I get older and just as satisfying. I’m sure you don’t think it a worthy role, after all I rarely get my hands dirty, but I honestly don’t care what you or anyone thinks.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Most research is not carried out by the NHS but either by the main pharmaceutical companies, or by charitable organisations.

To earn it I meant what I said, you choose to think I mean ‘acquire’ whereas I actually meant ‘earn’. Whether that be by manual work or by using what is between your ears, and letting others do the tough stuff. Please stop assuming and twisting My words just to fit your opinion of me.
Finally all you need to know is that I’ve done my time in jobs of manual labour, 12 or 16 hour days, working outside in all weather, or in factories. Now I use my brain. I can tell you now it’s a damned sight easier as I get older and just as satisfying. I’m sure you don’t think it a worthy role, after all I rarely get my hands dirty, but I honestly don’t care what you or anyone thinks.
I`m glad you think like that ; you have succeeded but you don`t appear to have any Empathy for those who have`nt.
Now ,back to the point in question. In my opinion there are poor, comfortable, wealthy , extremely wealthy , rich , extremely rich , filthy rich and disgustingly rich( they bask in the Riviera in their luxury Yachts). If ,as a nation ,we try to make everyone comfortable then a lot of money is needed. Which ( out of the list) is more able to give that money without putting themselves into the "poor" bracket ?. I do mean "give" call it a donation if you like .
The NHS ,which is who we are talking about , doesn`t need a heap of Managers being payed silly salleries for sitting in a smart office.What it needs is more More Doctors ,nurses and other ancilllary workers being paid a sensible salary .

Ohh btw ,i have a g.daughter who works for a big Pharmacutical Company . She gets well paid and a lot of foreign travel ,as part of her work .Much of this includes help to the poorer Nations of the World and they do use donations in various ways . Some of us do care about nations which are poorer than ours . Our wealth ,in part ,depends on how we ( GB) treated them when we were an Empire .

funandflirty

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I`m very sorry to hear about your grandfather and hope that others can feel the empathy for him and you. At this moment i am fine as far as Brain goes ,apart from loss of memory ( which i think we all suffer at any age ?).However i don`t approve of compulsary Euthanasia.Maybe i will change my mind given time ,maybe not .

Thank you :)

to be clear, I don’t agree with compulsory euthanasia! But I do think everyone should have the right to choose their care and treatment plan; currently that choice is removed for dementia patients.

B

Bad_Influence

I`m glad you think like that ; you have succeeded but you don`t appear to have any Empathy for those who have`nt.
Now ,back to the point in question. In my opinion there are poor, comfortable, wealthy , extremely wealthy , rich , extremely rich , filthy rich and disgustingly rich( they bask in the Riviera in their luxury Yachts). If ,as a nation ,we try to make everyone comfortable then a lot of money is needed. Which ( out of the list) is more able to give that money without putting themselves into the "poor" bracket ?. I do mean "give" call it a donation if you like .
The NHS ,which is who we are talking about , doesn`t need a heap of Managers being payed silly salleries for sitting in a smart office.What it needs is more More Doctors ,nurses and other ancilllary workers being paid a sensible salary .

Ohh btw ,i have a g.daughter who works for a big Pharmacutical Company . She gets well paid and a lot of foreign travel ,as part of her work .Much of this includes help to the poorer Nations of the World and they do use donations in various ways . Some of us do care about nations which are poorer than ours . Our wealth ,in part ,depends on how we ( GB) treated them when we were an Empire .
I don’t expect any of the categories you describe to give their money away, and neither should anyone else. If they decide to donate (and very many do without make it public. Many of the ‘rich’ have charitable foundations the you won’t hear about unless you are a recipient of such donation) then that’s wonderful, but to say they should , just because they have more than others is, in my opinion, misguided at best.

I fully agree with you regarding the NHS, they have far too many levels of management, most of which are over-paid. But that is the problem when it’s funded by the government and the public. They can spend £ billions on unnecessary management and then blame the government for the fact that they are under funded to pay the lower level staff a decent salary. I believe the NHS needs to be restructured from top to bottom and if done correctly it could be run better and more economically, within or even below the current monies available to it. But then what do I know, maybe they need 20 different management levels in each hospital and another 30 or so above that.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
It must be an awful situation to be in. There seems to be no solution. One often hears the words" it wouldn`t happen to an animal" ...meaning that if we see our Pet suffering then we can get a Vet to put it to sleep peacefully. No such option with humans in our society eh ?.

Ingrid1965

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Dementia

when I've grown that old
that I no longer recognize a person
I find it quite nasty and terrifying

don't even remember your name
then take my hand for a moment
man, I'm so scared I'll forget you

say hello and no bye
make me feel you like me.
not alienated by my behavior

do not forget that I am someone

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I add my pence worth I have watch a lovely kind well mannered i do anything for you man be come a old bad tempered b****rd, not his
fault its this nasty disease , that has eaten away at his brain , It taken it toll on a of us as a family , My youngest daughter the most she struggled for last year keeping him safe , till got to pint he was abusive to her and i have had to step in and put him in a home . We visit he don't know whom we are but we wont leave him with no visitors.
If acting profession can show what it is to have it then bring it on I say ,

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I don’t expect any of the categories you describe to give their money away, and neither should anyone else. If they decide to donate (and very many do without make it public. Many of the ‘rich’ have charitable foundations the you won’t hear about unless you are a recipient of such donation) then that’s wonderful, but to say they should , just because they have more than others is, in my opinion, misguided at best.

I fully agree with you regarding the NHS, they have far too many levels of management, most of which are over-paid. But that is the problem when it’s funded by the government and the public. They can spend £ billions on unnecessary management and then blame the government for the fact that they are under funded to pay the lower level staff a decent salary. I believe the NHS needs to be restructured from top to bottom and if done correctly it could be run better and more economically, within or even below the current monies available to it. But then what do I know, maybe they need 20 different management levels in each hospital and another 30 or so above that.
I can`t agree about all those management levels but i agree with anything to give us a wonderful NHS as the actual theory ,in my opinion, is great.

Back