Why is dementia being misportrayed in film and on television?

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
There is no doubt that we have all become more aware of the condition of dementia and its consequential effects on both sufferers and their carers (often family members). It has frequently been a topic promoted in various forms of media, most notably in film and on television.
I'd like to draw particular attention to the recent film,The Father, starring (Sir) Anthony Hopkins, in which he depicts an old man suffering from increasing dementia.
I have not seen the film but I have seen an extract from it. In this snippet, one of the characters, I think it's his stepson, says to Anthony Hopkins something along the lines of, "you've never been a ballet dancer, dad", which prompted me to question the writer's insight into the perceptions of dementia sufferers.
In my opinion, NO dementia sufferer would believe that they were somebody else or had an unrealistic profession, in their younger days, and certainly less so at the onset of their condition. If the title character has had dementia for only a short time then it must have been a severe, advancing form.

People with dementia may have fluctuating and failing memories and lack insight into their condition but that does not mean they will automatically have bizarre thoughts about THEIR OWN identity. They may project or even imagine identities about others, but from my experience, not about themselves.
The film concentrates on 'the father's' mistakes of identity and inability to even identify family members, leading to ever-growing frustration on both sides.
In summary, I will therefore view this film with reasoned scepticism because I believe that it falsely represents dementia sufferers.
Any comments about either the film or the perceptions of dementia sufferers, by others, are most welcome.

Manorgasmian

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Even if they're silly or spelt badly?

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
There is no doubt that we have all become more aware of the condition of dementia and its consequential effects on both sufferers and their carers (often family members). It has frequently been a topic promoted in various forms of media, most notably in film and on television.
I'd like to draw particular attention to the recent film,The Father, starring (Sir) Anthony Hopkins, in which he depicts an old man suffering from increasing dementia.
I have not seen the film but I have seen an extract from it. In this snippet, one of the characters, I think it's his stepson, says to Anthony Hopkins something along the lines of, "you've never been a ballet dancer, dad", which prompted me to question the writer's insight into the perceptions of dementia sufferers.
In my opinion, NO dementia sufferer would believe that they were somebody else or had an unrealistic profession, in their younger days, and certainly less so at the onset of their condition. If the title character has had dementia for only a short time then it must have been a severe, advancing form.

People with dementia may have fluctuating and failing memories and lack insight into their condition but that does not mean they will automatically have bizarre thoughts about THEIR OWN identity. They may project or even imagine identities about others, but from my experience, not about themselves.
The film concentrates on 'the father's' mistakes of identity and inability to even identify family members, leading to ever-growing frustration on both sides.
In summary, I will therefore view this film with reasoned scepticism because I believe that it falsely represents dementia sufferers.
Any comments about either the film or the perceptions of dementia sufferers, by others, are most welcome.
I note that you type" in my opinion" so i presume that you have not experienced caring for or meeting a Dementia sufferer ?.
I am exactly the same . Never actually met a person who is suffering with Dementia yet often read or see TV programs about it . I have one close family member who suffers with Parkinsons which is very sad to see. That too affects memory and awareness.
Like you say ,i can`t imagine a sufferer of Dementia thinking that they had ever been someone else ?.

Olechka

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Because it's actors doing the roll how possibly have no real experience of the sad condition.
Lots of stages of Dementia, they pick the one they think works for them.

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
According to film critics, Anthony Hopkins deservedly won an Oscar for this dark, and often bleak (realistic) portrayal of dementia. Directed by French novelist and playwright Florian Zeller, who also wrote the acclaimed stage play on which the film is based.

'The Father is a massive achievement in authentic, sympathetic dementia representation on screen, which simultaneously manages to bring depth to a character with dementia, while also providing an insight into what it can be like to watch someone you love develop the disease. Certainly when I rewatched the film with my mum, she recognised the on-screen behaviour of Anthony from her own experience caring for Great Grandma May.'

funandflirty

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Within the past 5 years I have cared for (albeit a shared responsibility between family members) my grandparents both had dementia (my Nan died at 98 and had Lewy body dementia my grandfather died at 99 with frontal lobe dementia - both donated their bodies to science hence we know details). In my experience my grandmother had a change in perception and she believed she was the queen of England and even made herself a crown (from diagnosis to death was 18 months) My grandfather became aggressive and confused (diagnosis to death was 4 years).

B

Bad_Influence

Within the past 5 years I have cared for (albeit a shared responsibility between family members) my grandparents both had dementia (my Nan died at 98 and had Lewy body dementia my grandfather died at 99 with frontal lobe dementia - both donated their bodies to science hence we know details). In my experience my grandmother had a change in perception and she believed she was the queen of England and even made herself a crown (from diagnosis to death was 18 months) My grandfather became aggressive and confused (diagnosis to death was 4 years).
So you’re saying dementia hasn’t been misportrayed?

Thecharmer

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I did ramble on without getting to my point (sorry).

in my experience my grandmother did think she was someone else. So it would be accurate to her and not to my grandfather x
my mum had dementia towards the end she would just say I love you.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
More money should be raised for Dementia Research ,considering the amount used on other researches over very long periods of time .
I may have misunderstood but it appears that the patient doesn`t suffer unduly ,but the carers ( usually family ) do .
My opinion as always.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
On Googling Dementia and reading a list of symptoms and treatments it seems that Dementia moved between "Dementia" and " Alzeimers". Are the two commonly linked ?

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Even if they're silly or spelt badly?
Your input to the Forum is, at best, infantile and bordering on the clinically insane.
This is a serious subject and does not require your idiotic and irrelevant remarks.
My advice to you is to close your account with immediate effect.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
So you’re saying dementia hasn’t been misportrayed?
Yet again, SAD, you predictably have nothing to contribute to another subject matter in the Forum; just what someone else has already stated here.
I am not the only one that has brought this to your attention before, but it appears that you simply do not learn from your lessons.
You have a pathological condition that needs urgent treatment. Go for it!
:rolleyes:

B

Bad_Influence

More money should be raised for Dementia Research ,considering the amount used on other researches over very long periods of time .
I may have misunderstood but it appears that the patient doesn`t suffer unduly ,but the carers ( usually family ) do .
My opinion as always.
All research is under-funded. Where would you suggest the funds come from? Cancer research perhaps? Whichever you choose I’m sure others would disagree. This is a sad fact, and one that is unlikely to change. There is only so much money in the national pot, and there will always be people believing they deserve there share more than others. That’s human nature.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bad_Influence

Someone didn’t check Google before starting a forum methinks. Epic fail. ;)

Manorgasmian

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Your input to the Forum is, at best, infantile and bordering on the clinically insane.
This is a serious subject and does not require your idiotic and irrelevant remarks.
My advice to you is to close your account with immediate effect.
If you can display to me that life itself is not infantile and bordering on the clinically insane I would happily close my account and grow up.

As for being a serious subject, I don't think that elevates it above idiocy. I know when i slip into dementia I would rather be surrounded by my idiotic friends than all the serious do gooders in the world.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
If you can display to me that life itself is not infantile and bordering on the clinically insane I would happily close my account and grow up.

As for being a serious subject, I don't think that elevates it above idiocy. I know when i slip into dementia I would rather be surrounded by my idiotic friends than all the serious do gooders in the world.
I never suggested that you grow up. However, seeing as it is obviously something you readily identified with, then I would wholeheartedly recommend it in your case.
I remain by what I said, nevertheless, that you should close your account before your voices completely take over!
I suppose we should be thankful that you limit your inane piffle to the Forum and not to the chat rooms.
Now, unless you have anything remotely constructive to say about the essential subject matter, please shut the **** up!

funandflirty

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
My opinion as always.

I think above dementia research (given it is essentially brain damage) there should be legal reviews around the right to end life and powers of attorney and care, when you are in the midst of caring with someone with dementia you realise that our current system (I am speaking about the UK) does not cater for the best needs of the sufferer.

particularly with my grandfather he was a remarkable man and had an incredible life - his final years were heartbreaking and he became a danger to himself and those around him.

B

Bad_Influence

Yet again, SAD, you predictably have nothing to contribute to another subject matter in the Forum; just what someone else has already stated here.
I am not the only one that has brought this to your attention before, but it appears that you simply do not learn from your lessons.
You have a pathological condition that needs urgent treatment. Go for it!
You’re welcome.

Back