Who do you think is the 'Greatest Briton' who ever lived?

Ingrid1965

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Robin Hood is a legendary heroic outlaw originally depicted in English folklore and subsequently featured in literature and film. According to legend, he was a highly skilled archer and swordsman. In some versions of the legend, he is depicted as being of noble birth, and in modern retellings he is sometimes depicted as having fought in the Crusades before returning to England to find his lands taken by the Sheriff. In the oldest known versions he is instead a member of the yeoman class. Traditionally depicted dressed in Lincoln green, he is said to have robbed from the rich and given to the poor.

Through retellings, additions, and variations, a body of familiar characters associated with Robin Hood has been created. These include his lover, Maid Marian, his band of outlaws, the Merry Men, and his chief opponent, the Sheriff of Nottingham. The Sheriff is often depicted as assisting Prince John in usurping the rightful but absent King Richard, to whom Robin Hood remains loyal. His partisanship of the common people and his hostility to the Sheriff of Nottingham are early recorded features of the legend, but his interest in the rightfulness of the king is not, and neither is his setting in the reign of Richard I. He became a popular folk figure in the Late Middle Ages, and the earliest known ballads featuring him are from the 15th century (1400s).

There have been numerous variations and adaptations of the story over the subsequent years, and the story continues to be widely represented in literature, film, and television. Robin Hood is considered one of the best known tales of English folklore.

The historicity of Robin Hood is not proven and has been debated for centuries. There are numerous references to historical figures with similar names that have been proposed as possible evidence of his existence, some dating back to the late 13th century. At least eight plausible origins to the story have been mooted by historians and folklorists, including suggestions that "Robin Hood" was a stock alias used by or in reference to bandits

Yes! He is the 1

zed

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
... wouldnt they ALL be great in their own right?

and now that i read the original post CORRECTLY.... I know how anal you can be about people
'misconstruing' the meaning behind the original post... ;)

#muchrespect.

crusti

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Sir Bevois (or Bevis) of Hampton, many stories about him were known throughout the world about his travels (Europe and the East) but seems to have been forgotten about now.
Rumoured to be the inspiration for Hamlet.
Some even think now he was a fictional character although there's plenty of evidence he did exist and the stories are partly based on truth.

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
Fearne, followed by Tony maybe
Oh, you mean the 'Britton' family? Although, it's Fern, not Fearne. I would never have given them a thought, myself.
:rolleyes:

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Robin Hood is a legendary heroic outlaw originally depicted in English folklore and subsequently featured in literature and film. According to legend, he was a highly skilled archer and swordsman. In some versions of the legend, he is depicted as being of noble birth, and in modern retellings he is sometimes depicted as having fought in the Crusades before returning to England to find his lands taken by the Sheriff. In the oldest known versions he is instead a member of the yeoman class. Traditionally depicted dressed in Lincoln green, he is said to have robbed from the rich and given to the poor.

Through retellings, additions, and variations, a body of familiar characters associated with Robin Hood has been created. These include his lover, Maid Marian, his band of outlaws, the Merry Men, and his chief opponent, the Sheriff of Nottingham. The Sheriff is often depicted as assisting Prince John in usurping the rightful but absent King Richard, to whom Robin Hood remains loyal. His partisanship of the common people and his hostility to the Sheriff of Nottingham are early recorded features of the legend, but his interest in the rightfulness of the king is not, and neither is his setting in the reign of Richard I. He became a popular folk figure in the Late Middle Ages, and the earliest known ballads featuring him are from the 15th century (1400s).

There have been numerous variations and adaptations of the story over the subsequent years, and the story continues to be widely represented in literature, film, and television. Robin Hood is considered one of the best known tales of English folklore.

The historicity of Robin Hood is not proven and has been debated for centuries. There are numerous references to historical figures with similar names that have been proposed as possible evidence of his existence, some dating back to the late 13th century. At least eight plausible origins to the story have been mooted by historians and folklorists, including suggestions that "Robin Hood" was a stock alias used by or in reference to bandits

Yes! He is the 1
Thank you for your extensive Wikipedia 'explanation', not that it is relevant to the scheme of things.
For the purposes of this particular thread, we are basing the poll on those who are known to have lived as opposed to being believed to have lived.
It appears to me that the most important contenders have already been nominated and anyone else subsequently suggested is probably more out of fancy than adjudged reality.

jillxx

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
What was i suppose to have spotted Wicked Perdition ?

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
What was i suppose to have spotted Wicked Perdition ?
If you take the trouble to look at the initial thread posting, you will see that Sir Winston Churchill WAS voted 'the greatest Briton of all time'.
Telling us something that we are already aware of his hardly contributing to the thread. You didn't even bother to state why you thought he was either.
:rolleyes:

Ingrid1965

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Thank you for your extensive Wikipedia 'explanation', not that it is relevant to the scheme of things.
For the purposes of this particular thread, we are basing the poll on those who are known to have lived as opposed to being believed to have lived.
It appears to me that the most important contenders have already been nominated and anyone else subsequently suggested is probably more out of fancy than adjudged reality.
Thank you! I still like Robin Hood!

S

silentfem

typical just study each on the list as not many wothy of thinking aboit mor so churchill or lizzie 1and cromwell not very nice any was

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Why don't you just **** off, you pitiable ignoramus?
If you cannot contribute to a thread in a sensible manner, please stick to the dross that you perpetuate of your own making.
:mad:

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
and why not? I said on here yonks ago that he would get things done......and give us all a laugh too? well?

Ingrid1965

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Why don't you just **** off, you pitiable ignoramus?
If you cannot contribute to a thread in a sensible manner, please stick to the dross that you perpetuate of your own making.
:mad:
? OK Benny Hill & Mr Bean! And **** of or Turn it off yourself!

Ingrid1965

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Honestly, I like Diana the most! Such a sad and difficult life.. Pity she didn't make it with Jody! But she had to get out of the way to give an other person his life with that demented thing he always wanted to be!

Back