Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
The Beatles undeniably made a historical impact on the music world, so this is a thread dedicated to their songs- originals and covers from the group and members of the group. I'll start the thread with.....

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I can't listen to this song without shivers going down my spine. Written over 42 years ago and still completely relevant today.

Dropship

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Incidentally, avoid listening to any so-called "remastered" 1960's/70's songs by the Beatles or anybody else because they're tinny and crap.
I was a teen in the 1960's and can tell you the remastered rubbish is nothing like the fab originals, it's sacrilege..:)

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Incidentally, avoid listening to any so-called "remastered" 1960's/70's songs by the Beatles or anybody else because they're tinny and crap.
I was a teen in the 1960's and can tell you the remastered rubbish is nothing like the fab originals, it's sacrilege..:)
I get what I can on Youtube, because I can't upload my record player to UK Chat ;)

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
It was this song that made Lennon and McCartney realise that at that moment in time, George was as good a songwriter as they were...

Dropship

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Incidentally I made a fool of myself last year when I said in a forum that 'Mr. Postman' was one of the best songs written by the Beatles, but it was quickly pointed out to me that they DIDN'T write it, somebody else did, and it was an American Billboard No.1 hit for the Marvellettes in 1961 !
And there was me thinking for 50-odd years that the Beatles wrote it, duh...:eek:
PS: I wonder how many other Beatle songs were written by somebody else?
Here's the Beatles 1963 cover version-

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Incidentally I made a fool of myself last year when I said in a forum that 'Mr. Postman' was one of the best songs written by the Beatles, but it was quickly pointed out to me that they DIDN'T write it, somebody else did, and it was an American Billboard No.1 hit for the Marvellettes in 1961 !
And there was me thinking for 50-odd years that the Beatles wrote it, duh...:eek:
PS: I wonder how many other Beatle songs were written by somebody else?
Here's the Beatles 1963 cover version-

Back then, it wasn't unusual for white groups to cover songs of black artists and incidentally get the credit for them. Elvis is a primary example of this, but The Beatles were known for it too. If you're a music fan of any sort, you'll know the influence of artists such as Howling Wolf, Muddy Waters, Fats Domino and Little Richard had on The Beatles music.

Last edited:

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I used to think this was a joke song- no real depth to the lyrics and a bit flaky in comparison to the rest of their record history (this, Yellow Submarine & I Am The Walrus- all a bit cr@p)....but....I've developed a new appreciation for it. It's really quite dark and a bit ominous.... like the trip could turn bad at any moment....o_O

Dropship

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Back then, it wasn't unusual for white groups to cover songs of black artists and incidentally get the credit for them. Elvis is a primary example of this, but The Beatles were known for it too. If you're a music fan of any sort, you'll know the influence of artists such as Howling Wolf, Muddy Waters, Fats Domino and Little Richard had on The Beatles music.

Yes, the Beatles also covered this one simply because it was a well-known song which they liked, they weren't out to steal the original artists glory-

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The Lennon/McCartney songwriting partnership quickly developed so they were soon recording all their own stuff. In the early days John was clearly the leader with A Hard Days Night.. Help! etc But imho there came a point in the mid 60s when Paul became the main songwriter for the group. George chipped in with the odd gem... This song by Ringo is credited as his own composition, the suggestion is that it was actually written by George and given to his mate Ringo to kick-start his solo career. Whatever the case it's a nice catchy song, but what a naff video! :)

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Yes, the Beatles also covered this one simply because it was a well-known song which they liked, they weren't out to steal the original artists glory-

What an electric atmosphere... Anyone there at the time must have been thinking these are going to be big. An early appearance of Ringo.
Forward thinking of Liverpool city council to demolish the original Cavern and turn it into a car park! :rolleyes:

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score

Fab video! Agree with Lady's comments- what an atmosphere! Love how young and fresh faced they all were.

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
The Lennon/McCartney songwriting partnership quickly developed so they were soon recording all their own stuff. In the early days John was clearly the leader with A Hard Days Night.. Help! etc But imho there came a point in the mid 60s when Paul became the main songwriter for the group. George chipped in with the odd gem... This song by Ringo is credited as his own composition, the suggestion is that it was actually written by George and given to his mate Ringo to kick-start his solo career. Whatever the case it's a nice catchy song, but what a naff video! :)
I hadn't heard this before, so thank you :) Not a bad song, certainty going to be today's ear worm. Lol. But I can see why he wasn't given a good turn as one the main singers like George was.
Despite him being a likable member of the band, I've always thought he just 'got lucky'. If it wasn't for Pete Best's mother being a narcissistic dragon, Ringo wouldn't have the opportunity he did.

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I give you the passive-aggressive 'We can work it out'. Like Strawberry Fields Forever, this is not the bubbly song it appears to be. On the surface, it seems like a song delivering good advice to calm an argument-' life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting, my friend', yet the rest of the lyrics are saying 'See it my way, because seeing it your way is wrong. You think you're right, but you're wrong'

Dropship

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Incidentally some years after John died, I think there was something in the news about McCartney not wanting some of their songs to be credited as "by Lennon and McCartney' any more, but credited to McCartney alone.
What was that all about?

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
, I've always thought he just 'got lucky'. If it wasn't for Pete Best's mother being a narcissistic dragon, Ringo wouldn't have the opportunity he did.

Ringo's led a charmed life... able to play the drums and The Beatles were looking for a drummer... Same goes for Cilla Black, worked at the Cavern, wanted to be a singer and was friends with The Beatles... As for Pete Best, you can't help feeling for him... must have been like losing a winning lottery ticket. I read once that he was working night shifts in a bakery when they made it big...:rolleyes:
the lyrics are saying 'See it my way, because seeing it your way is wrong. You think you're right, but you're wrong'
They'd be accused of 'gaslighting' these days :)
, I think there was something in the news about McCartney not wanting some of their songs to be credited as "by Lennon and McCartney' any more, but credited to McCartney alone.
Whether the song was written by Lennon or McCartney it went down as a Lennon/McCartney composition. I don't see how it could be revisited to remove the other person. In any case, didn't Macca sell the rights to his back catalogue of music? He later tried to buy it back but was outbid by Michael Jackson which ended their friendship.

Dropship

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
It has to be said that three of the Beatles weren't all sweetness and light the way they stabbed Pete Best in the back. They didn't even tell him themselves that they didn't want him, and left it to Epstein to tell him.
It's also been said that they were jealous of Pete's good looks because he was the heart-throb of local girls, so they replaced him with dull-as-dishwater Ringo..;)

PS- I don't know if Pete ever signed a contract with Epstein, but if he did, Eppy broke the contract and Pete could have demanded a big settlement fee.

Last edited:
Back