Maximum age for Mods in YAH

J

JustinCredible

The Young at Heart room was set up as I understand it for the more mature chatter to reminisce about the good old days in England's green and pleasant land, because of this the room is moderated by the older generation.
Due to the popularity of the site and this room in particular more and more younger people are winging their way into that room. Now some of these Mods were born in the 1940s when racism and homophobia were rife (yes this old chestnut again) and they grew up in an environment where racism and homophobia was casual and accepted. To them it was normal. I suspect that some of them having lived all their lives this way may be having problems understanding that what was ok then is not acceptable now.
As you get older it's harder to change your ways and adapt. In no way shape or form am I suggestion that these are bad people it's just I don't think they have the wherewithal to moderate a chat room in what they would call today's politically correct society.
Younger people are more in tune with today's LGBT and multi-cultural society and expect the chat room to be moderated in the same way, for this reason I would suggest an absolute maximum age for Mods in the Young at Heart room to be 50 something and for senior site Mods to reflect their experience 60 something.

J

JustinCredible

Yes..a wind-up merchant as you say but I never got personal.. was all done in good taste and for a laugh. I will fight racism..fascism..and any other ism's! I will always be a friend to anyone that needs a friend.

yaris

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
That's good to know....

J

JustinCredible

Don't fester over this. . .since this OP some of the YAH mods have taken a dislike to me. Hard to believe I know but they're clearly festering over it..all I can say is please don't Fester! :p

Jones9492

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
The Young at Heart room was set up as I understand it for the more mature chatter to reminisce about the good old days in England's green and pleasant land, because of this the room is moderated by the older generation.
Due to the popularity of the site and this room in particular more and more younger people are winging their way into that room. Now some of these Mods were born in the 1940s when racism and homophobia were rife (yes this old chestnut again) and they grew up in an environment where racism and homophobia was casual and accepted. To them it was normal. I suspect that some of them having lived all their lives this way may be having problems understanding that what was ok then is not acceptable now.
As you get older it's harder to change your ways and adapt. In no way shape or form am I suggestion that these are bad people it's just I don't think they have the wherewithal to moderate a chat room in what they would call today's politically correct society.
Younger people are more in tune with today's LGBT and multi-cultural society and expect the chat room to be moderated in the same way, for this reason I would suggest an absolute maximum age for Mods in the Young at Heart room to be 50 something and for senior site Mods to reflect their experience 60 something.
Don’t talk rubbish

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

There is some truth to this. My late Polish grandmother came from an age where there weren't any mixed race or different religions. So coming to the UK was quite the culture shock for her. She didn't like Jewish people, for the simple fact that she believed they took jobs from the Polish people. Poverty led to resentment. But she never did condone what happened to those Jewish people in the camps of Auschwitz. She did feel a great deal of pity for them.
I also remember growing up as a child and being gay was less accepted. My Geordie grandfather mocking gay people. Even my father used to mock them. And it does still go on today behind closed doors.
I think you're right though. We're a more tolerant society. A society that is more accepting of freed of choice to live the life you want, as long as you don't harm others and abide by the law of the land.

C

connie59296

Since you seem to have a thing for isms I would just like to mention ageism .

There are actually laws against ageism; age discrimination laws were brought into force in Oct 2006 and can be found in the Equality Act 2010.

Ageism is stereotyping of and discrimination against individuals or groups on the basis of their age. Prejudicial attitudes against older people, old age and the aging process, discriminatory practices against older people and institutional practices and policies that perpetuate stereotypes about elderly people are all types of ageism.

Ageism is surely on a par with racism or could it be deemed to be worse I wonder because some racist remarks are unintentional but ageism is most definitely intentional.

It is also a well known fact that rejecting older people are coping mechanisms that allow people to avoid thinking about their own mortality. :-D

J

JustinCredible

Are you on some sort of personal crusade against the Mods, Moby?.
You're starting to make yourself look a bit of an idiot and that's never good..............................................................................................................
I am not a computer combatant engaging in chat room wars! but can I just say . . . . .
Once more unto the breach dear friends.. once more..Or close the YAH room with our English dead!

J

JustinCredible

And the rumour that Kim started off that my pic is 20 years+ old is gaining credence.. well you're wrong! - it's older.. it was originally a B/W pic that I had colourised..so there!

C

connie659296

That wasn't written by a moderator but by a chatter; this is a moderator............so please get your facts right.
Devious again to take one sentence out of context isn't it

Last edited by a moderator:
Back