Is it time Rod started acting his age?

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
That sounded fine. I think we forget this is a 76 year old man doing that performance live up there. I don't understand the backlash personally.

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
I am one of those people who prefer to recall a special moment, for what it was originally, rather than what it might be in the future. Enjoy a moment for what it is in the here and now and then periodically dig it out to enjoy again. I have never watched any of the sequels from the original Matrix film, why what's the point, the original was a classic piece of filmmaking that could never be replicated. I could not go now and watch any of the original lineups of bands or singers (the ones still alive) that I enjoyed 30 or 40 years ago. What would be the point? As a kid, we adored Rod in our house and all would raucously sing along and I prefer that memory than that of an old man forgetting his lines as he tries escaping back to a time that once was.

S

Saphire

That sounded fine. I think we forget this is a 76 year old man doing that performance live up there. I don't understand the backlash personally.
It was the fact he is a 76 year old man, dressing and acting like a much younger man, surrounded by girls young enough to be his grand daughters, that made it embarrassing imo.

S

Saphire

I am one of those people who prefer to recall a special moment, for what it was originally, rather than what it might be in the future. Enjoy a moment for what it is in the here and now and then periodically dig it out to enjoy again. I have never watched any of the sequels from the original Matrix film, why what's the point, the original was a classic piece of filmmaking that could never be replicated. I could not go now and watch any of the original lineups of bands or singers (the ones still alive) that I enjoyed 30 or 40 years ago. What would be the point? As a kid, we adored Rod in our house and all would raucously sing along and I prefer that memory than that of an old man forgetting his lines as he tries escaping back to a time that once was.
He was a great singer, I have seen him live back in the day, and he sounded as good on stage as on record.
I still love his songs, but....a bit like Paul Mcartney and Elton John....singing live, when you are in your 70's, isn't always such a good idea.

Tom Jones can still do it though, his voice is as strong as ever.

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
He was a great singer, I have seen him live back in the day, and he sounded as good on stage as on record.
I still love his songs, but....a bit like Paul Mcartney and Elton John....singing live, when you are in your 70's, isn't always such a good idea.

Tom Jones can still do it though, his voice is as strong as ever.

Some people thought he was a bit naff and maybe he was but he found his niche and definitely had an aura and something about him. An extremely alluring, sexy man in his heyday. I can still recall the events leading up to the Falklands conflict like it was yesterday specifically because of 'Sailing' which was played a lot before the fleet set sail for the South Atlantic and when it returned and after so many young men needlessly lost their lives. Thatcher's war but that's another story...

S

Saphire

He could sing soulful ballads as well as rock.
Sailing was a great song. Like you say, there is nothing like music to evoke memories.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
It was the fact he is a 76 year old man, dressing and acting like a much younger man, surrounded by girls young enough to be his grand daughters, that made it embarrassing imo.
That's Rod Stewart for you and all of these other older celebrities. From Bruce Forsyth, to Des O'Connor, to Shirley Bassey. They always performed with younger dancers and back up singers. Maybe It's just me, but I've never thought much of it. It's all part of show business.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I haven't heard him sing live for a long time.
This is still being played a lot though.

he was on Loose Women yesterday( i think) .ITV and he sang live at the end of the show .According to wifey he looks good and his voice is no different .

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I haven't heard him sing live for a long time.
This is still being played a lot though.

Sorry ,i got the wrong TV program . He sang live yesterday( Monday) on Morning Live BBC1 .He was last on the show i think.

BronzeSquirrel

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Seeing old men with women young enough to be their grandchildren is sad and bit yuk. I'm not sure which is the most repellent, the old man slobbering over them or the young women prepared to play hunt the saggy wrinkled old foo foo.

S

Saphire

Seeing old men with women young enough to be their grandchildren is sad and bit yuk. I'm not sure which is the most repellent, the old man slobbering over them or the young women prepared to play hunt the saggy wrinkled old foo foo.
:D

It's like watching films with elderly actors, Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery spring to mind, acting out sex or love scenes between women 50 years younger.
If a woman did that, she would be laughed off the screen.

F

FlatLined

:D

It's like watching films with elderly actors, Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery spring to mind, acting out sex or love scenes between women 50 years younger.
If a woman did that, she would be laughed off the screen.
Each to their own huh, don't be so judgmental

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
He could sing soulful ballads as well as rock.
Sailing was a great song. Like you say, there is nothing like music to evoke memories.
His effort at The Isley Brothers', "This Old Heart Of Mine" was horrendous, as were his other Motown tribute songs.
Tom Jones' attempts to be soulful were equally dire.
Neither had the vocal capacity to deliver songs soulfully.
Some Caucasians can though. Witness Dean Parrish. One of the greatest.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
That's my opinion....this is a forum, if people didn't give opinions, there would be no point to it.:rolleyes:

My opinion is that anyone envious of older singers/actors for whatever reason must be extremely narrow minded.Life don`t cease at age 50 ya know ?:)

Back