Do you believe in marriage for life?

Do you believe in marriage for life?

• I'd rather have a marriage that lasted 35+ years.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • I'd rather have 5 marriages lasting 7 years each.

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I appreciate that people who have been married for a very long time do have something very special. I'm on my second marriage and occasionally compare it to my first. I have no idea If I'll ever marry again, but for me, it is nice experiencing married life with different partners.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I was married for 26 years should be 34 years and still counting. She lost her life to a drunk driver. I cherish the time we did have , togetherness was our favorite place to be. I walk a straight path in life , always have , have peace within me.
so sorry for loss .I think you could[ SHOULD] still count it , my mother did.

MillieW

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Tried it twice, didn't like it. Did the long term thing with no commitment - outlasted the marriage by 20+ years. If it works, it works. When it doesn't, it's a pain in the butt being married. Even if marriage was invented by insecure men, it's sure as hell perpetuated by lawyers who set us up for failure by ensuring it's not a religious occasion, but a financially dangerous one.

Whiskers

Miss Angelic ;)
Reaction score
It works for some but not for all I suppose .

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Works for me.
Bit of give and take.
Say sorry, sometimes.
Love her, and end up needing her.

yaris

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Was married 28yrs, i would of loved for that to have lasted but it didn't, got divorced, lived with someone, that lasted 9 months!...would love to get married again but i know deep down that it will never happen but that's life...just be thankful for what you have :)

Flower58

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Most things in life are a gamble, marriage one of the biggest, whether you are 'officially' married or choose to live with someone. However, whichever you choose, if you enter into thinking 'well, this is only for so long, then ill move on' whats the point of doing either?

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I look at my marriage and sometimes think we're more like brother and sister. We've become a convenience to each other, we take each other for granted. but I suppose that's preferable to a destructive relationship.

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
I just typed here cause i wanna take over the little Forum box on the homepage x

Whiskers

Miss Angelic ;)
Reaction score
I look at my marriage and sometimes think we're more like brother and sister. We've become a convenience to each other, we take each other for granted. but I suppose that's preferable to a destructive relationship.

thats how me and my ex hubby was but i chose to get out not just cos of that but cos he cheated but its a hard decision when you have kids i didnt leave him for 2years though we lived in serperate rooms when i look back wished id left sooner .

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
WOW!!!! thats how my 2nd one went I sort of replaced his mother , as wel as being a mother to 4 ,. till someone came along and made me see sense. Then i was wow I am off

MillieW

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Was married 28yrs, i would of loved for that to have lasted but it didn't, got divorced, lived with someone, that lasted 9 months!...would love to get married again but i know deep down that it will never happen but that's life...just be thankful for what you have :)

Never say never. When you stop looking, you always find something you lost.

MillieW

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score

But recognizing this means you can do something to make it better, should you chose to.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
A marriage certificate certainly won't change a relationship .

If it's solid, it's solid, regardless of said certificate.
It depends on the 2 people in the relationship - not on a piece of paper.
When I read about people saying the cohabiting relationship lasted longer than the marriage/marriages, I facepalm.
Of course they were different - the partners were different.
Nothing to do with a marriage certificate, either bad choice or you weren't compatible.
Maybe people should start taking responsability for the outcomes of a relationship, instead of blaming it on a piece of paper.
Oh .. and remember .. it takes 2 to tango.

Those first two lines are exactly what my partner of 7 years said at time . then for sake of his pension [if your single and die it goes back to the treasurary] he requested that we got married to us it was just a piece of paper , Still with him 22 years now .

yaris

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
thats how me and my ex hubby was but i chose to get out not just cos of that but cos he cheated but its a hard decision when you have kids i didnt leave him for 2years though we lived in serperate rooms when i look back wished id left sooner .
I stayed because of the kids, it was the worst thing i did, but you do what you think is right at the time. From the time i knew our marriage was over to the time i left another 17yrs had passed, a lifetime! :(

Back