• yes

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • no

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters

Jude99

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I see you dont get it at all Altair........when you are very young science means nothing to you but when you are told little stories about Jesus and god it helps you understand. As you get older you put things into perspective and it all falls into place or space. :confused:

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I see you dont get it at all Altair........when you are very young science means nothing to you but when you are told little stories about Jesus and god it helps you understand. As you get older you put things into perspective and it all falls into place or space. :confused:

I don't get it...?

I respect your views Jude. But i Do get it...!

Why is RE still taught in Schools?...

When Science and Biology way out number the RE classes?..

Elea

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
It does really cos it explains to the novice in simple language. To gravitate means to be pulled towards or as in physics to move by gravity........I didnt study physics sadly but did Mathematics to A level.. I was not that clever to take if further. :(

You took mathematics further than me. I wish I'd taken mathematics at A level. I want to take a masters in cosmology.

My point was that gravity didn't create itself or the universe, as Altair glibly implied. Also, suppose gravity is described as the attractive force between bodies, which depends on their mass and distance from each other. Is that the essence of gravity? This reminds me of the idea that particles give rise to force. I believe this is as mysterious to physics as the emergence of mind from matter in philosophy of mind. We quantify gravity, but its nature is a mystery. Even Sam Harris, the father of new atheism, believes gravity a mystery. He says this was the only honest answer he and his wife could give when asked by their young daughter: "What is gravity?" They replied: "We don't know."

Last edited:

Jude99

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
My only knowledge of physics is when the apple fell on Sir Isaac Newton and if I drop anything it falls to earth.

Jude99

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Altair...... RE is taught in schools to give children an idea that there is a God.... something greater than ourselves whatever it may be.

Scorpion5

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
i am God, but you dont have to bow to me, Yet? watch out for my wraith!!!

Scorpion5

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
sh**! will i get a thunderbolt jobbey now for sayin that? rofpmfsl
i will be back later if im not Smokin?

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
You took mathematics further than me. I wish I'd taken mathematics at A level. I want to take a masters in cosmology.

My point was that gravity didn't create itself or the universe, as Altair glibly implied. Also, suppose gravity is described as the attractive force between bodies, which depends on their mass and distance from each other. Is that the essence of gravity? This reminds me of the idea that particles give rise to force. I believe this is as mysterious to physics as the emergence of mind from matter in philosophy of mind. We quantify gravity, but its nature is a mystery. Even Sam Harris, the father of new atheism, believes gravity a mystery. He says this was the only honest answer he and his wife could give when asked by their young daughter: "What is gravity?" They replied: "We don't know."

Ok fair enough. I'm not arguing tit for tat. Gravity cannot be explained (Yet). Given time it will be.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Altair...... RE is taught in schools to give children an idea that there is a God.... something greater than ourselves whatever it may be.

I would class that as child abuse. There is simply no need to teach children that there is an invisible magic man in the sky that created us and watches everything we do.

It should be banned.

Elea

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
God is saying here that children are innocent and will be in heaven.God has an age of accountability.Theologians agree it appears to be around 13-14.

Theologians say a lot of things. Jesuit theologians of the 17th century had the chutzpah to declare murder and rape not sinful, so long as the rapist or murderer lacked the most egregious intent. Read Blaise Pascal's Provincial Letters. How could theologians possibly have gleaned God's position on the age of guilt? That is blackguard!

Last edited:

Jude99

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
You sound so deep Elea..............are you a priest?

Elea

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
nthing to do with who believes in god is it but like i said if was a person he wont let us suffer.

Perhaps evil was unavoidable. The Greek philosopher Plato thought God created the best possible universe from pre-existent matter (creatio ex materia). However, he also believed that matter was imperfect. This idea was familiar to Christian theologians. Justin Martyr, who studied under Platonists, echoed the idea of creatio ex materia. Perhaps the creation of a material universe set limits on God's creative power.

Last edited:

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
How do choices we make explain natural evils like tornadoes and tsunamis? As Lucretius point out, these evils don't appear to discriminate.
thats the weathers fault

Jude99

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I did A level philosophy at college and to tell the truth found it to be a load of bo LLx. :confused:

Back