American Attention seeker ....lalala

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
Why is it spelled that way??

With a u, or without a u?
Well, basically the u was dropped from most English words, by The U.S and some Commonwealth countries, because of what was called 'the great vowel shift' (gvs), simply because the u in certain words is not pronounced when spoken; as in colour, humour and savour.

I believe that in the etymology of these words the u did not in fact exist, for instance in favour, which has the Latin root of favor.
The English language is very complicated, especially regarding spelling and its pronunciations, added to which we are resistant to change, in the main.
It is not unusual for sticklers of the English language, like myself, to frown upon any aberration from what was eventually 'inherited' by the New World.
So, anyone born and educated here should NOT be misspelling words like favourite.
:)

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Wicked your the most boring person on chat go play with the fairies

That irrelevant comment is most likely based on three things:

1. Ignorance
2. Embarrassment
3. Envy

How about starting a thread to show that you are none of the above?
I won't hold my breath.
:rolleyes:

Lex51

Howdy ya'll
Reaction score
With a u, or without a u?
Well, basically the u was dropped from most English words, by The U.S and some Commonwealth countries, because of what was called 'the great vowel shift' (gvs), simply because the u in certain words is not pronounced when spoken; as in colour, humour and savour.

I believe that in the etymology of these words the u did not in fact exist, for instance in favour, which has the Latin root of favor.
The English language is very complicated, especially regarding spelling and its pronunciations, added to which we are resistant to change, in the main.
It is not unusual for sticklers of the English language, like myself, to frown upon any aberration from what was eventually 'inherited' by the New World.
So, anyone born and educated here should NOT be misspelling words like favourite.
:)
Well that's an interesting piece of information, haha I get called yank all the time. I don't pay any attention to it. My great grandfather is from Warwickshire so I reckon I'm okay.

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
Any other Yanks out there got my back lol

I have seen you in the Rooms you seemed to be doing ok ......

We don't like the word Yanks "" as some can be offended by it ,

Just like many other derogatory terms ,

They only really become an issue when ppl use them spitefully , it kinda keeps the peace if that makes sense ,

It's just as Easy to type Americans so it's not needed IMO :)

Lex51

Howdy ya'll
Reaction score
I have seen you in the Rooms you seemed to be doing ok ......

We don't like the word Yanks "" as some can be offended by it ,

Just like many other derogatory terms ,

They only really become an issue when ppl use them spitefully , it kinda keeps the peace if that makes sense ,

It's just as Easy to type Americans so it's not needed IMO :)

Roger that Poco,, it mostly happens on the bus. To be honest I guess I didn't like it at first. BUT to be fair, at the end of the day people are curious and that is just human nature. I have been here nearly 11 years now and every time I walk out the door I remind myself that I'm a visitor here and would be remiss in character if I acted any other way than acceptable.

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I think people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones and feel many will shy away from writing their views here if continually criticised and embarrassed about their spelling or grammar. I'm seeing a lot more criticism lately; pack it in. It's mean. Maybe those who can't spell are better at other things...

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Unfortunately, we can only judge people by what they type. Nothing else matters in this medium. :rolleyes:
Indeed. What they type. There is content as well as accuracy. No-one pulls you up on errors... I think we should just be fair.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
i amke all sorts of errors i do try to correct my spellings , but some times i get my words mixed up sorry for not being so perfect.

Words

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Megs you want to see the spelling mistakes wicked makes in the morning , nobody perfect but he needs to lighten up

No wonder most have him on block ,he only comes in to start a argument surprized hes last so long on this site :)

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
i amke all sorts of errors i do try to correct my spellings , but some times i get my words mixed up sorry for not being so perfect.

I am constantly advising YOU in particular, that there is an 'auto-spellcheck' when you type in the Forum threads.
I have also advised you that because of this facility, there really is NO excuse for incorrect spellings.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Megs you want to see the spelling mistakes wicked makes in the morning , nobody perfect but he needs to lighten up

No wonder most have him on block ,he only comes in to start a argument surprized hes last so long on this site :)

I have only one way to respond to this predictable sort of rubbish: LOL
Get over your petty jealousy and move on!

P.S. I am finding this emoticon to be all I need these days.

Words

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
But wicked your a level above us in here ,Surely you need to find some where where people understand you as you on such a high plain to us poor mortals

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
But wicked your a level above us in here ,Surely you need to find some where where people understand you as you on such a high plain to us poor mortals
I believe I have already suggested to you that if you don't like, or even understand, what I type in the the Forum, then do not read me. It's not rocket science, is it?
It's plane, not plain, by the way. I'm not a high plains drifter.

Words

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
More like a nutter Wicked getting your kicks off this site

Back