Brexit - Second Referendum

B

Ben50cambs

I notice a number of papers today carried an article on a recent poll that most Britons support a second Brexit referendum. Even among brexiters ... what's going on !

J

JustinCredible

There will be no 2nd referendum there's no going back. respect the vote!

A

AmericanGentleman

Wait . . .
  • The U.K. had a vote on leaving or remaining in the E.U.
  • Certain people didn't like the result of said vote (leave).
  • These people are now demanding a revote.
Holy hell. That's an all-out assault on democracy the likes of which Western Civilization hasn't seen in a long time.

So, what happens if leave once again wins? Do we go for round three? Do we keep voting until the spoiled, elitist brats get their way?

Globalists are pathetic, but not as pathetic as the thoughtless sheeple who blindly follow them to slaughter.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Ben50cambs

I believe one of the people asking for a second vote is ... wait for it ... Nigel Farage !! He certainly liked the result of said vote (leave) ... so I think the explanation by AmericanGentleman is far too simplistic ...

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I notice a number of papers today carried an article on a recent poll that most Britons support a second Brexit referendum. Even among brexiters ... what's going on !

Polls an articles aren't always viable sources of information. You have your pro-Brexit and pro-Remain papers, so depending which paper you purchase, will determine what kind of stories you are going to get regarding Brexit.
I

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I believe one of the people asking for a second vote is ... wait for it ... Nigel Farage !! He certainly liked the result of said vote (leave) ... so I think the explanation by AmericanGentleman is far too simplistic ...

Nigel Farage enjoys the spotlight. Suggesting the idea of a second referendum, is going to get him a lot of coverage with the media, to which he achieved. Will we get a second referendum? No.

B

Ben50cambs

Polls an articles aren't always viable sources of information. You have your pro-Brexit and pro-Remain papers, so depending which paper you purchase, will determine what kind of stories you are going to get regarding Brexit.
I
And what would you call "viable sources of information" ?

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
And what would you call "viable sources of information" ?

From the horses mouth. Going out to different towns and cities and asking the people face to face. But even that will only get you a rough, and most likely inaccurate reading on how things currently stand in general. You can't take polls, survey's or newspaper articles seriously. They must be taken with a pinch of salt because they do bend the truth to suit their own political agenda.

Also, i would consider a viable source of information, was in fact the snap general election that was held last year. That was the best general indicator on where the country currently stands on Brexit. We witnessed some very poor results for pro-remain parties, and the Conservatives managed to hang on to a majority, but that was thanks to the DUP.

Last edited:
B

Ben50cambs

That was the best general indicator on where the country currently stands on Brexit. We witnessed some very poor results for pro-remain parties, and the Conservatives managed to hang on to a majority, but that was thanks to the DUP.
I am not sure I would interpret those results as "very poor results for pro-remain parties" when the Tories (who clearly were not pro-remain) lost what was a good majority. I think you conceded that point yourself by saying they hang on to power due to the DUP. The position of the Labour Party is wishy-washy and can hardly be called a "pro-remain party" - half the time it's hard to know where they stand on this issue.If the last General Election is intended to tell us where the country is on Brexit then it tells us that the country is confused on the issue.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I am not sure I would interpret those results as "very poor results for pro-remain parties" when the Tories (who clearly were not pro-remain) lost what was a good majority. I think you conceded that point yourself by saying they hang on to power due to the DUP. The position of the Labour Party is wishy-washy and can hardly be called a "pro-remain party" - half the time it's hard to know where they stand on this issue.If the last General Election is intended to tell us where the country is on Brexit then it tells us that the country is confused on the issue.

You had two major parties that promised to leave the EU, which included the single market and customs union. They were Labour and The Tories. It is difficult to know where Labour stands on Brexit. If they did win and became the government, they would have had to go through with taking us out of the EU, including taking us out of the customs union and single market. This however would be challenged, as we know that a majority of Labour MP's, want the UK to have access to the single market and customs union.
Mrs May and the Conservatives wanted a majority to solidify Brexit with a mandate. They barely scraped through due to a poor campaign and manifesto pledge. Some even suggested that it was sabotage. May looked shaky after that loss of votes. The Conservatives should thank the DUP and Ruth Davidson down in Scotland, because otherwise we probably we be seeing a Labour government in power right now. UKIP were, and are a non entity at this point.
And the other UK parties, especially the pro-remain parties? They all lost seats, with the Greens losing the most. It wasn't a great night for pro-remain parties or The Conservatives overall.

B

Ben50cambs

Brexit is just a downward correction in an invetable spiral into economic oblivion for what was once a great country. To paraphrase Will Hutton's article in The Guardian:

Britain shows signs of declining nations over the centuries – Venice in the 16th century, Spain in the 18th, Austria-Hungary and France in the 19th. All of them knew that their political, economic and social systems had become dysfunctional, but they could not reform ...

The Tory party is managing a cockup of such epic proportions that some in the party are beginning to dissociate themselves from a brand that is becoming as toxic and emblematic of failure as the Romanovs and Hapsburgs.

Brexit may be the trigger to breaking the financial and service industry in this country ... the jewel in the crown ... launching, perhaps, the most sustained period of economic decline that this country will see in a ong time as we find our new equilibrium among smaller and insignificant economies ...

As Sam Smith sings ... "The Writing is on the wall..."

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Brexit is just a downward correction in an invetable spiral into economic oblivion for what was once a great country. To paraphrase Will Hutton's article in The Guardian:

This is the same man who states that "Brexit is our generation's Dunkirk, but this time there will be no salvation"

Here's food for though. Not one of our former colonies regretted, what was then the biggest single market in the world.

If the Canadians can do very well without becoming part of the US, and Australia and new Zealand to survive independently without becoming part of China, you need to have a very good explanation for why you think it such a disaster that the UK chooses to do the same, despite those nations being smaller economic, military, and diplomatic powers.

B

Ben50cambs

Not one of our former colonies regretted, what was then the biggest single market in the world.
This is easy to explain ... the history of British colonialism is replete with shameful examples of how Britain "shafted" it's colonies to enhance its economic position. Read the history of India and what the Brit did there through the East India Company. To compare that to the relationship between Britain and the other EU countries demonstrates a shocking lack of historical credibility

B

Ben50cambs

When Tony Blair is the champion for the remainers you know they have problems!
It is unfortunate that society has demonised Tony Blair to the point where he is completely dismissed every time he opens his mouth without so much as a simple courtesy to hear the man out. My view FWIW is that history will remember him more kindly than the present generation. If you put the "Tony Blair vitriol" to one side and listen to the arguments and assess those on their merits - then I say he has a point. But unfortunately no one listens to what he says and so no point in me going on about it ...

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
It is unfortunate that society has demonised Tony Blair to the point where he is completely dismissed every time he opens his mouth without so much as a simple courtesy to hear the man out. My view FWIW is that history will remember him more kindly than the present generation. If you put the "Tony Blair vitriol" to one side and listen to the arguments and assess those on their merits - then I say he has a point. But unfortunately no one listens to what he says and so no point in me going on about it ...

Blair is a vilified political figure, and for good reason too. So, please forgive the families who lost loved ones during the Iraq war. A war based on a lie that there was WOD. A war that didn't need to take place. They are constantly reminded of what happened to their loved ones through Blair.

The song "Things can only get better" by D:reams will always be a haunting song for a lot of people in Britain.

J

JustinCredible

Blair wasn't doing too bad as a prime minister ..till 9/11 when he went to the U.S and got seduced by the adulation he received there after promising to be with them whatever. Yes..there are broken families all over Britain because of that man and his ego. every time he comes on the TV spouting off their pain is brought back. There's an old saying along the lines of 'If politicians had to send their sons into battle there'd be no more wars' . .how very true.

J

JustinCredible

and I don't know what it is with British prime ministers wanting to leave their mark in the history books by
waging war..you have to go all the way back to Harold Wilson who refused point blank to get this
country involved in Vietnam.

paula

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score

Britain shows signs of declining nations over the centuries – Venice in the 16th century, Spain in the 18th, Austria-Hungary and France in the 19th. All of them knew that their political, economic and social systems had become dysfunctional, but they could not reform ...

The Tory party is managing a cockup of such epic proportions that some in the party are beginning to dissociate themselves from a brand that is becoming as toxic and emblematic of failure as the Romanovs and Hapsburgs.

Brexit may be the trigger to breaking the financial and service industry in this country ... the jewel in the crown ... launching, perhaps, the most sustained period of economic decline that this country will see in a ong time as we find our new equilibrium among smaller and insignificant economies ...

As Sam Smith sings ... "The Writing is on the wall..."

paula

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
we lost the great in grt britain when we joined the common market this is our country and no way should any country dictate how we should run it soon as britain gets back to british rule the better this country will be

Back