Covid Jab or no Covid Jab? Discuss!

Will you get the vaccine when it comes?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Percy666

It protects the NHS. That's good enough for me.

If a health organisation ( the NHS) needs everyone to be locked away for over a year on and off, that currently has the worst death rate from covid on earth per person maybe it isnt worth protecting as its clearly unfit for purpose. How are other countries with no NHS getting on with lower covid death rates, lower cancer waiting times, better survival rates from heart attacks in a country where our fabled NHS sent the elderly to die in care homes with " do not resuscitate orders"?

paolinho

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
In support of those who recommend having the vaccine, if everyone took it then logically speaking there would less instances of the virus being transmitted.

funandflirty

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
If a health organisation ( the NHS) needs everyone to be locked away for over a year on and off, that currently has the worst death rate from covid on earth per person maybe it isnt worth protecting as its clearly unfit for purpose. How are other countries with no NHS getting on with lower covid death rates, lower cancer waiting times, better survival rates from heart attacks in a country where our fabled NHS sent the elderly to die in care homes with " do not resuscitate orders"?

What countries are you speaking of?

P

Percy666

What countries are you speaking of?

This site wont allow me to post links but ",
The team has been collecting data from 7 cancer types – ovary, lung, colon, rectum, pancreas, oesophagus and stomach – since 1995.

And the latest figures, covering 1995 to 2014, reveal some stark differences in cancer survival between countries. Generally, cancer survival is higher in Australia, Canada and Norway than in Denmark, Ireland, New Zealand and the UK.

Similar trends can be seen for individual cancer types, like lung cancer. From the graphs we can see that Australia has the highest lung cancer survival, and Ireland has made the greatest increase in survival over time. But despite big improvements in lung cancer survival, the UK remains bottom of the list for cancer.

Why is the UK lagging behind?
There are many, complex reasons that could explain why we have lower survival compared to other countries.

Butler, the lead clinical advisor for ICBP, says there are some factors that will affect survival in all cancer types. “The UK health system is under great pressure, with increasing demands on cancer diagnostics and more urgent referrals”. And that could affect survival figures. Diagnosing and treating cancer early gives patients the best chance of surviving their cancer, but it relies on having enough NHS staff and funding in place to make this a reality – something the NHS doesn’t currently have and has been broken for years.

But there are also more specific reasons that may explain differences between countries for some cancers.
Take ovarian cancer for example. Patients diagnosed in the UK appear to be diagnosed at similar stages to other countries, but survival is lower. This suggests there could be improvements in how these patients are treated.

Taken from an article in 2019 pre pandemic

" Hospitals are at breaking point due to cancelled operations with unexpected " flu surge" with thousands of cancelled operations, patients left on trolleys etc"

Its a pity this site doesnt allow links but a quick type into any search engine " NHS at breaking point" will show hundreds of articles pre covid

The NHS has been unfit for purpose for years.. before covid ever arrived here the NHS had patients drinking out of vases in corridors due to being " overstretched" which is no surprise as every year it moans it is close to capacity

Fiona

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
The team has been collecting data from 7 cancer types – ovary, lung, colon, rectum, pancreas, oesophagus and stomach – since 1995.

And the latest figures, covering 1995 to 2014, reveal some stark differences in cancer survival between countries. Generally, cancer survival is higher in Australia, Canada and Norway than in Denmark, Ireland, New Zealand and the UK.

Similar trends can be seen for individual cancer types, like lung cancer. From the graphs we can see that Australia has the highest lung cancer survival, and Ireland has made the greatest increase in survival over time. But despite big improvements in lung cancer survival, the UK remains bottom of the list for cancer.

There are many, complex reasons that could explain why we have lower survival compared to other countries.

Butler, the lead clinical advisor for ICBP, says there are some factors that will affect survival in all cancer types. “The UK health system is under great pressure, with increasing demands on cancer diagnostics and more urgent referrals”. And that could affect survival figures. Diagnosing and treating cancer early gives patients the best chance of surviving their cancer, but it relies on having enough NHS staff and funding in place to make this a reality – something the NHS doesn’t currently have and has been broken for years.

But there are also more specific reasons that may explain differences between countries for some cancers.
Take ovarian cancer for example. Patients diagnosed in the UK appear to be diagnosed at similar stages to other countries, but survival is lower. This suggests there could be improvements in how these patients are treated.

" Hospitals are at breaking point due to cancelled operations with unexpected " flu surge" with thousands of cancelled operations, patients left on trolleys etc"

Its a pity this site doesnt allow links but a quick type into any search engine " NHS at breaking point" will show hundreds of articles pre covid

The NHS has been unfit for purpose for years.. before covid ever arrived here the NHS had patients drinking out of vases in corridors due to being " overstretched" which is no surprise as every year it moans it is close to capacity
Makes interesting reading and definitely food for thought.
I wouldn’t want to be without it though, it saved the life of my then 12 yr old child who was critically ill and supported her for many years to come and even today are supporting her.
After reading this I now wonder if my parents lives could have at least been prolonged for a few more years.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I can't really vote on this because my choice would be not to have it. The reason being is that I'm still relatively young(ish), i don't get ill too often, and there are people who i feel need it more than i do. But here's the thing. We may have to take it if it's decided that if you don't take the vaccine, you will be restricted from doing the things we used to do prior to the lockdowns, such as holidays, and even keeping your job in some extreme cases.

Saying that, i still wear masks, washing my hands, and abide by social distance rules.

But i think it should be a free choice to make.

I know there will be some parents out there who will be reluctant, especially those parents who have children with autism, who noticed drastic changes after their kids took their medical vaccinations.

P

Percy666

Makes interesting reading and definitely food for thought.
I wouldn’t want to be without it though, it saved the life of my then 12 yr old child who was critically ill and supported her for many years to come and even today are supporting her.
After reading this I now wonder if my parents lives could have at least been prolonged for a few more years.

I'm sure the majority of NHS workers do their best, but the whole structure of it is deeply flawed for a variety of reasons that would take some time to go into. I've had good and bad experiences of it, I think much of it can be a postcode lottery with different age demographics receiving differing levels of care but statistically our healthcare system is way behind many developed countries in most areas for statistics relating to survival rates.

My experiences are mixed, in 2018 for eg I had to call an ambulance for an elderly relative that took 3 hours to arrive, the result of their incompetence resulted in her dying or at least not having a chance of survival yet there will be cases of lives saved also. The government have made mistakes but one of the reasons our death rate from covid is so high is due to NHS incompetence where elderly people banging pots and pans on thursday nights were effectively given do not resuscitate orders in many cases and care homes becoming morgues after NHS hospitals tipped out patients with covid to them as they " couldnt cope"

F

FATZY

this sh** s going to be with us for a long time - all the vacs etc., but what happens when there is another virus, worse?
there will be another, which means our scientists etc. have their work cut out.

Brass

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Another virus? Worse? Then we'll be defeated. Probably already are. We've tried everything, but it just keeps coming. And on the news tonight, they're talking about another surge of the even more deadly (if you can imagine that) variant. Anyone who thinks we're going to win this war with the viruses is living in denial. It's clear that the next deadly-virus season is going to be here before we've even gotten a handle on this one. Folks, it's all over but the crying.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score

10 years of austerity maybe didn`t help the situation eh ?

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score

Manorgasmian

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Well if you arent smart enough to fabricate a suitable reason for leaving the country I don't think you deserve a holiday.

Manorgasmian

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Just imagine your favourite holiday destination without other peoples kids! Plus can you imagine how expensive holidays during school shutdown is going to be this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back