Childhood memories

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I think most of us remember specific incidents from our childhood, funny or serious.
One of my early memories happened when i was about nine or ten. The school was about one & a half miles from my home so i walked home ,with kids who lived in the same area .We short cut across a Council Tip ( they had open ones then !) and then across a canal loch gate. One particularly cold Winter the canal was frozen over so the kids decided to play on it ,slide etc. After a short while i moved on to go home. I walked across the wide part of the canal and didn`t bother to use the loch gate to cross ,i just walked straight for the edge of the canal to get onto the towpath. In a split second i found myself floundering up to my chest in water ! The ice must have been weak there and i went through it.
I was wearing wellies at the time too so that made it worse .i was within six feet from the loch gate which had kids stood on it shouting that "someone has fallen in the canal". I kept trying to climb onto the ice but it kept breaking . I could see all the Mothers on the bridge which came from a main road just pointing and chatting ! I finally made it onto firm ice and out of the canal. I ran all the way home to have a bath and get warmed up. I never went on that ice again :).On reflection though where i had gone through the ice was on the deep side of the loch and i would have drowned had i gone down.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Nice post, thanks for sharing. Offhand I can't think of anything bad that happened to me in childhood. Then again, I can't think of any good times. I was an unhappy, sullen child, never given any guidance or encouragement, probably explains why I ended up so cynical. :rolleyes:

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Nice post, thanks for sharing. Offhand I can't think of anything bad that happened to me in childhood. Then again, I can't think of any good times. I was an unhappy, sullen child, never given any guidance or encouragement, probably explains why I ended up so cynical. :rolleyes:

Oh lady was you an only child? I always longed to be an only child growing up family of 9 ] . , but on reflection now I can see we had each other to play with when the other children were not allowed out . We used to have days out in summer not long weeks away .. In an bedford van oh the fun we have going to Warwick to the park there stopping on way to get conkers in a layby. Or what ever was falling off trees at time. The rips to see grandparents in Berkshire . aunt and uncles who would say 'oh my how you all grown'. and my mother recalling on way back to us saying ' do they think we don't feed you all so your will all be same height when we go again'. Unlike hell3tbwith there we was not allowed to walk home from school on own. , But across from where we live was a steep slope my brother 4 years older than me with his friends made a slide on it every winter . no one older than a teenager would dare walk down it .ne night my dad in a rush to get home out of cold forgot and lost his footing and broke his arm .Punishment for my brother in helping to make a slide was he had to clean all the school shoe's [dad job of evening when we was in bed], till my dads arm was better ..
oh i could go on and on but i wont .

Last edited:

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Oh lady was you an only child? I always longed to be an only child growing up family of 9 ] . , but on reflection now I can see we had each other to play with when the other children were not allowed out . We used to have days out in summer not long weeks away .. In an bedford van oh the fun we have going to Warwick to the park there stopping on way to get conkers in a layby. Or what ever was falling off trees at time. The rips to see grandparents in Berkshire . aunt and uncles who would say 'oh my how you all grown'. and my mother recalling on way back to us saying ' do they think we don't feed you all so your will all be same height when we go again'. Unlike Dong there we was not allowed to walk home from school on own. , But across from where we live was a steep slope my brother 4 years older than me with his friends made a slide on it every winter . no one older than a teenager would dare walk down it .ne night my dad in a rush to get home out of cold forgot and lost his footing and broke his arm .Punishment for my brother in helping to make a slide was he had to clean all the school shoe's [dad job of evening when we was in bed], till my dads arm was better ..
oh i could go on and on but i wont .
I`m not Dong am i ?:)

D

Dardii

I smoked at a very young age, started roughly about 8. I wanted to be cool like my older cousins. Anyway my cousins were visiting ours, and there was nowt to smoke. My granny used to make a long taper out of newspaper to light her fire back then, I thought in my wisdom that I'd do that and smoke it.. Well I made the taper, lit it off the pilot light in the boiler, ran through to my bedroom with it while my cousins gasped to see the flame take hold and grown really big. I shat myself, and instead of running to the bathroom with it (water being the sensible choice), I threw the flame engulfed paper on to the floor.. My carpet went WOOOOOSHHHH..................

We all managed to stomp it out, and threw water as a precaution. I was left with a very sizable hole in my carpet.... Oh there was plenty punishment... Quite right too..

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
I think most of us remember specific incidents from our childhood, funny or serious.
One of my early memories happened when i was about nine or ten. The school was about one & a half miles from my home so i walked home ,with kids who lived in the same area .We short cut across a Council Tip ( they had open ones then !) and then across a canal loch gate. One particularly cold Winter the canal was frozen over so the kids decided to play on it ,slide etc. After a short while i moved on to go home. I walked across the wide part of the canal and didn`t bother to use the loch gate to cross ,i just walked straight for the edge of the canal to get onto the towpath. In a split second i found myself floundering up to my chest in water ! The ice must have been weak there and i went through it.
I was wearing wellies at the time too so that made it worse .i was within six feet from the loch gate which had kids stood on it shouting that "someone has fallen in the canal". I kept trying to climb onto the ice but it kept breaking . I could see all the Mothers on the bridge which came from a main road just pointing and chatting ! I finally made it onto firm ice and out of the canal. I ran all the way home to have a bath and get warmed up. I never went on that ice again :).On reflection though where i had gone through the ice was on the deep side of the loch and i would have drowned had i gone down.

Quite a harrowing tale, hell2bwith76. :eek:
There's something sinister about canals; their murky, uninviting waters set by the side of some often rough and slippy ground.
I am sure most people tread carefully when they walk along the towpaths or even cross the lock gates as you did as a child. I know that I do.
I imagine you were very traumatised by the entire experience. Did it instil a fear in you from that impressionable age or has it strengthened your character?
In due course I hope to add something from my own past that others might have experienced but certainly nothing as daunting as yours.
Glad to see you keeping your head above the water. :D

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Another of my little escapades when i was about 3/4 i remember quite well.. One of my elder brothers had an air pistol/The sort which you had to press the barrel in to cock the gun after loading. I knew that he kept it in a drawer in his bedroom and while they were all at school one day i got curious and went to search for it in the drawer. I found it and messed about with it ,God knows why ! After a while i was curious enough to look down the barrel of the gun and then ,horror I pulled the trigger ". BANG the end of the gun shot out and my eye caught it full on!.
Ran downstairs to my Mother in the front room crying my eyes out and screaming " Mom ,Mom...i`ve shot myself in the Eye " ! After a lot of nursing i was calm . Mom told said Brother off and never to leave the gun cocked again . Lesson learned .:)

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
When i was an (undisclosed age) My parents decided they were going to have an adult only dinner party and i had to stay upstairs , I had my nose put out of joint as obviously no party could happen without me !!

Anyway the party happened , they had fun Eating , Drinking and smoking grade while i spent most of the night crouched down like a ninja at the top of the stairs laughing at the stupid adults ,

Anyway , after what seemed like an eternity they went to bed.

It was my turn,

The next hour was spent eating lots of Trifle and downing alcohol from various bottles , i was fcuked ,

My next brainwave was to light the Candles that were the centre piece on the table ( This was never going to end well )

In my drunken state i managed to knock over the Candle cluster setting fire to my Mama's prize silk tablecloth ,

I managed to put out the fire and sat there pondering the aftermath which would only be the mother of Satan waking up with a hangover and tanning my Butt ,

My plan was this , i would fold the Table cloth corner to corner with all the table content inside , sneak it to the back yard , launch it over the fence (8ft @ a guess) and it would land by the riverbank on the other side ,

Worth mentioning at this point that we were living in Georgetown , Guyana and all foreign nationals had an exterior guard on their property for security reasons , I think it was all but we may have been Posh , (Dunno) ,

So bearing all this in mind i managed to sneak it out , get it over the fence without the guard setting my own Doberman and Macaw on me , i then got my ass off to bed and as i was bolloxed i managed to go off to sleep fairly quickly happy with my nights work (lol) ,

I woke up the next day with the house completely surrounded by Guyanese Police , My dog and Oversized mouthy Parrot are going mental and the guard is being dragged off into a Guyanese police Early 90's version Toyota hi lux taking licks bigtime ,

They also had the Table cloth on the bonnet of some police car ,

I thought to myself fcuk this and got back in bed , the guilt i was feeling was obviously making me nervous but i never did tell my parents ,

My Mama did mention it over Brekkie the following day but i held firm,

Deep down i know she knew love her ,

I was in an English boarding School within 3 months.

Go figure,

Sorry if i bored you and for any typos XD

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
When i was an (undisclosed age) My parents decided they were going to have an adult only dinner party and i had to stay upstairs , I had my nose put out of joint as obviously no party could happen without me !!

Anyway the party happened , they had fun Eating , Drinking and smoking grade while i spent most of the night crouched down like a ninja at the top of the stairs laughing at the stupid adults ,

It was my turn,

The next hour was spent eating lots of Trifle and downing alcohol from various bottles , i was fcuked ,

My next brainwave was to light the Candles that were the centre piece on the table ( This was never going to end well )

In my drunken state i managed to knock over the Candle cluster setting fire to my Mama's prize silk tablecloth ,

I managed to put out the fire and sat there pondering the aftermath which would only be the mother of Satan waking up with a hangover and tanning my Butt ,

My plan was this , i would fold the Table cloth corner to corner with all the table content inside , sneak it to the back yard , launch it over the fence (8ft @ a guess) and it would land by the riverbank on the other side ,

Worth mentioning at this point that we were living in Georgetown , Guyana and all foreign nationals had an exterior guard on their property for security reasons , I think it was all but we may have been Posh , (Dunno) ,

So bearing all this in mind i managed to sneak it out , get it over the fence without the guard setting my own Doberman and Macaw on me , i then got my ass off to bed and as i was bolloxed i managed to go off to sleep fairly quickly happy with my nights work (lol) ,

I woke up the next day with the house completely surrounded by Guyanese Police , My dog and Oversized mouthy Parrot are going mental and the guard is being dragged off into a Guyanese police Early 90's version Toyota hi lux taking licks bigtime ,

I thought to myself fcuk this and got back in bed , the guilt i was feeling was obviously making me nervous but i never did tell my parents ,

Go figure,

Hahaaa ,serves you right that boarding school :D . I don`t approve of them tbh .

D

Dardii

It was my turn,

Go figure,

Fab story, and you kinda got away with it, up unto a point...

Me, my Sis and older Cousin once drank an unopened litre bottle of vodka after an adult only house party at our house.. We blamed it on the dog... And No, we didn't escape the parental wrath the next day. So in a way I'm a tad jealous of you (on that score at least), not so much for the boarding school.. :(.

D

Dardii

Another of my little escapades when i was about 3/4 i remember quite well.. One of my elder brothers had an air pistol/The sort which you had to press the barrel in to cock the gun after loading. I knew that he kept it in a drawer in his bedroom and while they were all at school one day i got curious and went to search for it in the drawer. I found it and messed about with it ,God knows why ! After a while i was curious enough to look down the barrel of the gun and then ,horror I pulled the trigger ". BANG the end of the gun shot out and my eye caught it full on!.
Ran downstairs to my Mother in the front room crying my eyes out and screaming " Mom ,Mom...i`ve shot myself in the Eye " ! After a lot of nursing i was calm . Mom told said Brother off and never to leave the gun cocked again . Lesson learned .:)

You're soooooo lucky, that could of ended horribly. In the words of my Granny ' Aucht, Yi musta bin kizzed by un angel' <-- my poor attempt at spelling Doric.

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
Fab story, and you kinda got away with it, up unto a point...

Me, my Sis and older Cousin once drank an unopened litre bottle of vodka after an adult only house party at our house.. We blamed it on the dog... And No, we didn't escape the parental wrath the next day. So in a way I'm a tad jealous of you (on that score at least), not so much for the boarding school.. :(.

Ty lol ,

It was All Boys but i didn't mind Boarding School tbf ,

Once i was over missing my Mama it shaped me into the twat i am today ;)

Billyliar

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Can recall, my parents giving me my 4th birthday party present.
Was a rattle.
Dont think they liked me much cause there was still a snake attached.

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
Hahaaa ,serves you right that boarding school :D . I don`t approve of them tbh .

It's not about approval ,

You wouldn't want to go to a Guyanese secondary school in the late 80's dude ,

You can't even handle the chat rooms lol ,

It was a positive in my life trust me o_O

BasildonBond

UKChat Expert
Reaction score

It was my turn,

Go figure,

What an absolutely brilliant tale Poces and so well told too. It MUST be true because no-one could possibly make up something so far-fetched!

BasildonBond

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I remember when I was maybe seven or eight playing football on the local field with my twin brother and our pals. There must have been around 10 of us running around like lunatics trying to emulate Bobby Moore. Anyway, one of us (I have no recall who), in his wayward attempt at a shot at goal, managed to slice the ball onto the adjoining main road. At that point my memory of the incident becomes rather vague. All I can say is that I have a disturbing image in my head of a Messerschmitt Bubble Car turning over as it swerved to avoid our football, quickly followed by ten young boys running for their lives, away across the fields. I cannot hand on heart say whether this incident actually happened or whether it has just entered into my memory as some kind of personal urban myth. I DO believe it is probably true though, or at least most of the story. Bubble cars (see photo) were notoriously unstable and could easily come a cropper when taking evasive action. It may of course be that the car simply swerved violently, but my hazy recall is that it DID turn over before we all looked away and legged it! I do hope the driver of that car isn't amongst us. If he is, I am truly sorry!Bubble Car.jpg

BasildonBond

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Oh, another debacle I was involved in involved a man, a car and a golf club (a stick-like thing I mean not something akin to St.Andrews). My twin brother and I used to play golf on the local field - as it happens the very same one the bubble car incident had begun from maybe 10 years earlier. We made our own "greens" on the field complete with holes, as well as pre-determined tee-off positions. One day, from such a lofty position, I smote my ball so hard that it went way beyond the distance I ever imagined I was capable of achieving with our ancient mashie-niblick club. Well, imagine the look of sheer horror on my face as the ball sailed high into the sky, way into the distance, its journey only eventually being impeded by the shoulder of a man washing his car on a distant estate. THAT must have hurt, a small projectile hitting you on the shoulder at maybe 50mph! I still remember the man's shriek of pain. It was quickly followed by his angry "oi, I want a word with you" as he clocked where the ball had originated from. Again, we legged it. Remember, we had form on that same field! Looking back, I was so lucky. If the ball had hit that man on the head, it could easily have killed him, and I might have been typing this anecdote from the dubious comfort of a Queen's Hotel. Equally, if it had hit the car he was so dutifully washing that day, things might have been more serious, because it would have caused quite some damage. I think that day was when I first realised I had a Guardian Angel!

Last edited:
D

Dardii

Oh, another debacle I was involved in involved a man, a car and a golf club (a stick-like thing I mean not something akin to St.Andrews). My twin brother and I used to play golf on the local field - as it happens the very same one the bubble car incident had begun from maybe 10 years earlier. We made our own "greens" on the field complete with holes, as well as pre-determined tee-off positions. One day, from such a lofty position, I smote my ball so hard that it went way beyond the distance I ever imagined I was capable of achieving with our ancient mashie-niblick club. Well, imagine the look of sheer horror on my face as the ball sailed high into the sky, way into the distance, its journey only eventually being impeded by the shoulder of a man washing his car on a distant estate. THAT must have hurt, a small projectile hitting you on the shoulder at maybe 50mph! I still remember the man's shriek of pain. It was quickly followed by his angry "oi, I want a word with you" as he clocked where the ball had originated from. Again, we legged it. Remember, we had form on that same field! Looking back, I was so lucky. If the ball had hit that man on the head, it could easily have killed him, and I might have been typing this anecdote from the dubious comfort of a Queen's Hotel. Equally, if it had hit the car he was so dutifully washing that day, things might have been more serious, because it would have caused quite some damage. I think that day was when I first realised I had a Guardian Angel!

Smote.. Great word..

I wad hit on the head with a golf ball in my early teens - explains a lot really. :confused:

Back