Philosophical Question: REALITY: Does it exist?

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
This is the Wikipedia definition of reality which I think will suffice for the opening premise of this debate because it is probably scrutinised more than any other 'reliable source':

REALITY
is the sum or aggregate of all that is real or existent within a system, as opposed to that which is only imaginary. The term is also used to refer to the ontological status of things, indicating their existence. In physical terms, reality is the totality of a system, known and unknown. Philosophical questions about the nature of reality or existence or being are considered under the rubric of ontology, which is a major branch of metaphysics in the Western philosophical tradition. Ontological questions also feature in diverse branches of philosophy, including the philosophy of science, philosophy of religion, philosophy of mathematics, and philosophical logic. These include questions about whether only physical objects are real (i.e., Physicalism), whether reality is fundamentally immaterial (e.g., Idealism), whether hypothetical unobservable entities posited by scientific theories exist, whether God exists, whether numbers and other abstract objects exist, and whether possible worlds exist.

I'd like to give you an example of philosophical tautology just to kick off the argument.:
"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

I believe that it does. However, I am not going to give my reason why at this juncture.
I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on the question.

In the meantime, I would like to know what people think reality is, themselves.

I feel that I must mention the importance of the school of philosophy known as Epistemology which is further divided into Rationalism and Empiricism.
Both of these form the basis of the Human experience.
(I.E. 1. the knowledge we are born with and 2. that which we learn through our life experiences.)
Existentialism is essentially what we humans experience ourselves, and for each individual, the most important way in which we perceive ourselves and our world; the universe even.
I personally prefer this line of thought and am unlikely to consider anything outside of this philosophical concept.
We are dependent on our senses to evaluate our lives. Do we need any reason to disbelieve our senses?

Do you think reality exists because it is all you know; all you've experienced and simply makes sense to your life experiences? Or, do you believe that this reality is outside of your existence, a metaphysical system even, and that there is another explanation for it all?

I eagerly await to read what are likely to be 'conspiracy theories'. Or from you devout pseudo-intellectuals.

:eek:

P.S. Again, NO survey required. Just thoughts, opinions and suggestions (keep them clean). Thank you.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Philosophically speaking, If I had an affair and the other half never found out about it, Have I been unfaithful?

I won't tell him. Deal or no deal?

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Philosophically speaking, If I had an affair and the other half never found out about it, Have I been unfaithful?

I wish to add to your hypothesis.
In my opening question, I asked : 'does a falling tree make a sound if no one hears it'?
Quite simply, sound is a form of energy and exists whether it is heard or not. It will affect other objects besides the human ear.
I don't think that we can dispute the existence of energy. It is, after all, what drives the universe, and, he says flippantly, urges us to post comments in Forums.
I should also throw in the fact that other animals have the sense of hearing, so, it is not just a human attribute. Sadly, we think ourselves too important in the grand scheme of things. Has sound only existed since homo sapiens evolved on earth?

Regarding being hypothetically 'unfaithful'; I would say, like energy, the definition does not change just because it is not witnessed. What occurs is history.
I was going to say that you cannot change history but then I thought, hang the futtock on, that has already started.
Exciting times!

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
This is the Wikipedia definition of reality which I think will suffice for the opening premise of this debate because it is probably scrutinised more than any other 'reliable source':

REALITY
is the sum or aggregate of all that is real or existent within a system, as opposed to that which is only imaginary. The term is also used to refer to the ontological status of things, indicating their existence. In physical terms, reality is the totality of a system, known and unknown. Philosophical questions about the nature of reality or existence or being are considered under the rubric of ontology, which is a major branch of metaphysics in the Western philosophical tradition. Ontological questions also feature in diverse branches of philosophy, including the philosophy of science, philosophy of religion, philosophy of mathematics, and philosophical logic. These include questions about whether only physical objects are real (i.e., Physicalism), whether reality is fundamentally immaterial (e.g., Idealism), whether hypothetical unobservable entities posited by scientific theories exist, whether God exists, whether numbers and other abstract objects exist, and whether possible worlds exist.

I'd like to give you an example of philosophical tautology just to kick off the argument.:
"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

I believe that it does. However, I am not going to give my reason why at this juncture.
I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on the question.

In the meantime, I would like to know what people think reality is, themselves.

I feel that I must mention the importance of the school of philosophy known as Epistemology which is further divided into Rationalism and Empiricism.
Both of these form the basis of the Human experience.
(I.E. 1. the knowledge we are born with and 2. that which we learn through our life experiences.)
Existentialism is essentially what we humans experience ourselves, and for each individual, the most important way in which we perceive ourselves and our world; the universe even.
I personally prefer this line of thought and am unlikely to consider anything outside of this philosophical concept.
We are dependent on our senses to evaluate our lives. Do we need any reason to disbelieve our senses?

Do you think reality exists because it is all you know; all you've experienced and simply makes sense to your life experiences? Or, do you believe that this reality is outside of your existence, a metaphysical system even, and that there is another explanation for it all?

I eagerly await to read what are likely to be 'conspiracy theories'. Or from you devout pseudo-intellectuals.

:eek:

P.S. Again, NO survey required. Just thoughts, opinions and suggestions (keep them clean). Thank you.

I know that the tree makes a sound as it falls because I have heard other trees fall. I have therefore experience to tell me that the tree made a sound.
However, is my experience real, are any of my experiences real, as I pass through my life?

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
I foresaw there being very few responses to this thread. I have previously suggested that I should probably open threads of a more trivial nature but it simply is not within my personal makeup.
I will just leave this posting with a thought or two:
We probably only begin to be really aware of our existences when we are able to evaluate our perceptions through our senses.
I would dispute that we are are unable to do this until we can think independently of others, which would rule out our infancy, if not the major part of our childhood.
Consequently, all those who have been unfortunate to die in early childhood have very unlikely been able to appreciate their existences.
The point I wish to make is that we have a very limited time to appreciate our existences,
more so if we die before the accepted average lifespan.
Life is a slow awakening process and yet, quite often, a rapid descent into a sleeping process; to mark the beginning and the end.
It is difficult to what comprehend life is, let alone the meaning of it.
Ultimately, it is impossible to contemplate life before and after we exist because, to us, it only exists whilst we are alive.
Try to imagine the contrast with your present, fully-aware (conscious) state of mind to that of one of not being aware (unconscious) of everything; I.E 'death' (non-existence) or even a continuous comatose state. Although that would not rule out being alive.
To me, it is like the
eternal question: 'how did the universe begin?'; from nothing to something, and seemingly, vice versa.
*** I'm not sure if I should have started a new thread or not but I think the ideas are all related to the above. ***

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I would argue your point that a baby has no awareness of existence
Surely the new born child's smile upon opening it's eyes for the first time and seeing perhaps it's mother counts as an awareness!
A fundamental awareness, no doubt but..... it is a beginning, though there is no understanding yet.

C

Common-Carnage

To answer the question, does something that creates a noise create a noise?
Yes.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Reality exists only for those that exist.

That was easy...;)

TattyBear

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
This is a question about the Matrix. Red pill or blue pill?

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
This is a question about the Matrix. Red pill or blue pill?

Have you decided which one you will choose? Also, please state why you chose that particular pill. Thanks. :)

TattyBear

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Have you decided which one you will choose? Also, please state why you chose that particular pill. Thanks. :)

Ah, a question as to whether or not free will actually exists within a reality which may or may not exist?

I always preferred the look of the blue pill. Red pills look the more evil of the available options.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score

Now look here. I have given you ample time to come up with a sensible answer and you have disappointingly failed me.
"Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide. No escape from reality".
*** With special thanks to Freddie Mercury. ***

Back